Author Topic: Is 50% depreciation on a 2-yr old Caddy more or less the industry standard?  (Read 4747 times)

Offline java_man

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 F-150 Quad Cab 4x4
My father-in-law can't drive anymore so he's handed over the keys to his baby - 2012 Cadillac CTS. The wife want's a new-ish vehicle, so we've been shopping it around as trade bait on new/yr-old cars, and I'm shocked - shocked, I tell ya! -  at what we've been offered....price range was 20 - 22.5k.

Now to be fair, this falls under the "good problem to have" category, as the car was gifted to us; I just find it bizarre that a car he bought for > 45K (probably more like 50, taxes in) a year-and-a-half ago is worth half as much today. Yeah, the 20-22.5K is dealer's wholesale price, but still.....the car only has 6600 km on it!!

I'll float it on Craigslist and try to put up with all the flakes, ultimately I guess it's worth what its worth  ::)

American luxury - buy at your peril.

//rant

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Probably worth $29-31 retail. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
People always complain about the low trade values compare to retail prices.  Uh, geez, that's how dealer make money.  The $800 they make on a compact car ain't keeping the lights on.  The $5K or more on a good used car plus the service department is how they stay open.

If you want retail for your car, sell it.  And "I can't be bothered" means that you will pay $5K+ for that convenience.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Finding this thread will be better than any Easter egg for some around here  ;D
My Sonata depreciated just as badly, while the FJ did much better, talking about the black book values. A lot depends on how well you bargain. Any dealer will begin with a ridiculous offer for your trade.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Like using my yaris as an example.  Dealer offered $4k. Sold it in three days for $8k. 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
My father-in-law can't drive anymore so he's handed over the keys to his baby - 2012 Cadillac CTS. The wife want's a new-ish vehicle, so we've been shopping it around as trade bait on new/yr-old cars, and I'm shocked - shocked, I tell ya! -  at what we've been offered....price range was 20 - 22.5k.

Now to be fair, this falls under the "good problem to have" category, as the car was gifted to us; I just find it bizarre that a car he bought for > 45K (probably more like 50, taxes in) a year-and-a-half ago is worth half as much today. Yeah, the 20-22.5K is dealer's wholesale price, but still.....the car only has 6600 km on it!!

I'll float it on Craigslist and try to put up with all the flakes, ultimately I guess it's worth what its worth  ::)

American luxury - buy at your peril.

//rant

I assume low mileage...why not just keep it? 

Offline java_man

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
She's more 'Mazda 5, soccer mom' style...plus the 100-lb German shepherd wouldn't fit in the trunk. Between the kids and work, she does a lot of driving, so we're looking for something a little more practical. I've tactfully suggested a Mazdaspeed 3, or the CX 5 but noooooooo. 

Yeah, we're middle-age boring.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
She's more 'Mazda 5, soccer mom' style...plus the 100-lb German shepherd wouldn't fit in the trunk. Between the kids and work, she does a lot of driving, so we're looking for something a little more practical. I've tactfully suggested a Mazdaspeed 3, or the CX 5 but noooooooo. 

Yup, same here.  Next vehicle will be CUV/SUV, or preferably a wagon... :-\ 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Did you try though?
What are the Caddy technical details, such as trim level, Navi, etc. I'll look up the blackbook.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Eek you have a free 2012 CTS with 6k on it and you want to trade for a Mazda5?  At least get something in the similar snack bracket :)  How about a CTS Wagon haha

Offline java_man

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
Between the smell, the four season shed-a-thon pelt and the perma-drool, that dog isn't getting within 10 20 feet of the Caddy - and I don't even like the car. Can you tell I'm a cat person?

The car is pretty basic. 4-dr sedan, leather, 3.0, sunroof, satellite radio; that's about it. No nav package, heated seats or other goodies. For a luxury car, it's a bit underwhelming, TBH.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Their system is buggy sometimes. If you choose the base trim, it starts from 20,700. But then if you add leather and power roof it's still there, from 20,700 to IIRC 23,800. So I counted the Luxury trim with only addition being power roof:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Try the private sale, though its not always easy to find a private buyer for a 2yr old $32k car.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Between the smell, the four season shed-a-thon pelt and the perma-drool, that dog isn't getting within 10 20 feet of the Caddy - and I don't even like the car. Can you tell I'm a cat person?

The car is pretty basic. 4-dr sedan, leather, 3.0, sunroof, satellite radio; that's about it. No nav package, heated seats or other goodies. For a luxury car, it's a bit underwhelming, TBH.

Hmm, I have a Mazda5 GT with leather, heated seats, sunroof.  Just recently got the Odyssey.  So I don't need the Mazda5 as much... And I have always liked the CTS.  Pretty tempting...for me.

Hopefully the CTS is black, and/or has AWD, then I would just walk away...

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
These make pretty good used cars since the depreciate really quickly. Blackbook on this car is about $24k and retail would be around $30k at a dealer, so look for $28k private sale.

This kind of depreciation is not industry standard. GM cars, especially the high end ones, depreciate rapidly. Even the lower end ones are great used buys. Just get the best GM Protection Plan available and learn how to be patient at the dealership.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Eek you have a free 2012 CTS with 6k on it and you want to trade for a Mazda5?

And he likes cats?

Doesn't like dogs!

I don't think we can help here.  :'(
Mr Pickypants

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
If you traded the CTS good bet you'd see it on their lot listed at $35k the next day.   Dealers will tell you it's worth squat until you go in to buy a used car.  Suddenly it's in high demand and super low mileage. 

I'll bet they would raise the offered price if they thought you were really serious and willing to walk. 

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
Gosh I'd be tempted to keep such a low mileage example, especially when you know the whole history.

But, given that it won't suit your needs, private sale is the only way to maximize your return.   Dealer trade-in is a convenient service and you pay a lot for it.   Up to you whether it's worth it.

Those cars really don't seem much more practical than a CTS sedan.  I guess the hatch configuration is key for the beastly dog eh?  Too bad.   Sell the dog.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
  Too bad.   Sell the dog.

:rofl2:  That's like asking some people to sell their children.   ;D
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Keep in mind you'll save the taxes on the trade so you would need to sell it for more than $25.5k for it to be worth your while.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.