Author Topic: My one month with 2014 Cherokee.  (Read 5225 times)

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
My one month with 2014 Cherokee.
« on: April 18, 2014, 06:26:13 pm »
This is not my daily driver, I only get to drive it on the week-ends, but here are my Pro's and Con's of some of features.
 Pro's- Uber comfortable. Very smooth and quiet.
LOVE the heated steering wheel. Very welcome feature in Edmonton, especially when you can hit the remote start and have the heated seats and wheel already be warm when you get in.
The leather is very soft, not the usual Chrysler fair.
The U-Connect is very easy to navigate. Even though I work for a Chrysler dealer, I really have never played with it. Wife took to it like a duck to water.
Adaptive cruise control. Very nice to have.
Blind spot monitoring is sure nice, as is the cross traffic detection. Sure, you can live without, but it is nice.
The back up camera with front and rear park sense is wonderful. No worries you are going to hit something.
The panoramic sunroof. Wow.
Using the snow mode setting in the terrain select really plants the Cherokee to the road. We got to use this feature 3 weeks ago on the way to Hinton,AB. We ran straight into snow storm with white out conditions. The Cherokee was as sure footed as a mountain goat.
The 9 speed transmission shifts are buttery smooth. You feel the 1-2 shift and that is about it.

Cons-I guess my only cons would be with that said 9 speed transmission. In auto mode, it does shift to highest gear as soon as possible. And once it get there, it is very reluctant to down shift. In "sport" mode it does down shift quickly and is very nice for doing some spirited driving, but for daily driving, it just holds the gears too long. Also it is marketed as a 9 speed, but you will never legally see 9th. At 110km, the RPM is barely above idle in 8th gear. Maybe the diesel in Europe will see 9th. The new 200 will use this transmission as will Honda, so maybe they will see 9th.
The self park feature. it can parallel park as well as perpendicular park Not really what purpose of this is. If you cannot park a car,than perhaps you shouldn't be driving.
It does a very slight wobble you can feel when taking off form a stop on a harder accel. This is a known problem and Chrysler is working on a fix. The wife,who this is her daily driver,cannot feel it but I can.
Over all, we both love it. Having said all that, my daily driver is now the Acura TSX, and that car still after 5 years puts a sh!t eating grin on my face every time I drive it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:34:22 pm by jamie1 »
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: My one month with 2014 Cherokee.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:44:30 pm »
Nice review...sounds like you are a happy buyer which is always nice to hear.

I was interested in your comments on Sport vs Eco mode for the tranny. I find the some of the same issues with our BMW. As it's just a matter of programming you'd think the manufacturers would give a "Normal" mode as well as sport and eco and solve these issues.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:09:03 pm »
Great review. 

LOVE the heated steering wheel. Very welcome feature in Edmonton, especially when you can hit the remote start and have the heated seats and wheel already be warm when you get in.

That is a great feature.  Is the remote start a factory option? 
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:37:26 pm »
Great review. 

Yes it is a factory option, so the range is about as far as you can spit. lol In the US, you can use the U-Connect to link with your smart phone and start your vehicle from anywhere.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:51:26 pm »
Great review. 

Yes it is a factory option, so the range is about as far as you can spit. lol In the US, you can use the U-Connect to link with your smart phone and start your vehicle from anywhere.

U-Connect looks pretty cool.  So U-Connect Access is not available in Canada?

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 02:16:10 pm »
Thanks for the review.  I'm warming up to the new Cherokee.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 02:46:42 pm »
Thanks for the review. Nice to hear about the interior. I love soft leather.

Some American freeways have speed limits of 80 MPH+. At that speed, the wind drag is huge and running the engine at low RPMs is likely providing negligible benefits to fuel economy. Try driving 130 and see what noise is more prominent. I know the freeways of Edmonton are riddled with photo radar vans but you should be able to sneak 130 in on the QE2.

Where are all the naysayers who said this thing would never sell?  *Guilty*

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 02:59:16 pm »
thanks for the update Jamie!

this is still a serious option for me and it's nice to get an update.
how do you think the transmission would handle towing 4,000lbs?
(or even the Jeep itself?)

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 04:11:02 pm »
I've seen one or two new Cherokees on the road now...still getting used of the narrow (shallow?) headlights but overall the vehicle looks pretty good.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 08:53:47 pm »

I don't think I would want tow 4000lbs.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 10:50:21 pm »
thank you for the update Jamie1

i really kinda like this car as well.  does get somewhat expensive loaded (still comparable to competitors) but i think this car was done right.  hope this continues with chrysler.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 09:51:54 am »

I don't think I would want tow 4000lbs.

rats!  but thanks.
is it the entire package that doesn't seem fit for the listed capability or something more specific.
I'm guessing the transmission might hunt a lot and have issues towing, or maybe just simply a lack of power?

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 11:32:52 am »
rats!  but thanks.
is it the entire package that doesn't seem fit for the listed capability or something more specific.
I'm guessing the transmission might hunt a lot and have issues towing, or maybe just simply a lack of power?

One would usually turn OD off when towing, and could also downshift to 7th gear (or lower) for hilly terrain.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 01:00:06 pm »

I put a shout out on one of the other forums I'm on. There are guys on there that have 3000lbs, 4300lbs with no issue. So I guess it will tow that.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 01:42:52 pm »

I put a shout out on one of the other forums I'm on. There are guys on there that have 3000lbs, 4300lbs with no issue. So I guess it will tow that.

thanks!  It would be nice to know.  Obviously one can't try towing in a test drive.   ;)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 04:39:08 pm »
Thanks for the report Jamie. I'm seeing more and more of them around Okaville and I suspect they are selling well.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 07:33:59 pm »
Chrysler issued a flash update for the transmission a week ago. I did on the wife's Jeep yesterday. Made a very pleasant improvement. The wife thought it shifted fine but I didn't like the 1-2 shift.  Cleared that up as well as some other issues. One being the reluctance to down shift. A pet peeve of mine.  Chrysler has a LOT riding on this transmission as it will be going into a lot of our products.