Author Topic: electric pressure washer, anyone got one?  (Read 3110 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
electric pressure washer, anyone got one?
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:02:58 am »
Am thinjing it would come in handy for spring cleaning of garage floor.  And car washes. (Yeah. Mainly car wash.  )

Any experiences?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: electric pressure washer, anyone got one?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:40:59 pm »
I have one that I bought ten years ago so we could pressure wash our deck. I bought it at Cdn Tire and think it's branded Simoniz? I can't really remember, but I know that it's blue. I think I've used it twice.

I guess it works fine, but mostly it just takes up a bunch of space in my garage. The unit isn't too big, but the stiff hose won't coil into a neat loop, so it just creates a giant rat's nest of hose and spray wand that I'm constantly tripping over and fighting with. I hate the damned thing, to be truthful.

I'd offer to give it to you (maybe in exchange for a ride in that sweet M3), but my wife would probably get mad at me in five years when she wants to use it to clean our concrete patio. Or maybe I should say, ... in five years when she wants me to use it to clean our concrete patio.

Hope that helps. :)

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:52:05 pm »
I've got a 1600psi Karcher that I bought at Walmart a few years back for $99.   I use it once per year to pressure wash the deck in the spring.   I end up loaning it to friends and neighbors more than I use it myself.     I've never used it for car washing as it's such a pain in the ass to deal with the hose, I can't be bothered, plus I'd be concerned about ripping off trim and paint ;)    Its a good tool for certain users.   My neighbor uses his with a shop vac for hydrovacing out post holes, etc.   Funny to watch and messy as fack... 
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:58:12 pm »
I was thinking of one too , then remembered we had a cheap one back on the farm and a garden hose + brush did a much better job of cleaning the vehicles, very disappointing.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:39:41 pm »
I have one I bought over 10 years ago.  I hardly ever use it.  Watch the psi especially with the gas powered ones.  You could strip car paint with it. 

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:47:40 pm »
I have a Karcher and unlike those above find it very useful around the house and car.  Good at getting the winter road grime off, especially under-body and in wheel wells.  Use it to clean the deck, driveway, siding, windows too.

Ours is on wheels, so easy to move around.  It also has reels for both the power cord and high pressure water line, so keeps everything nice and neat.  A couple of different heads as well.  All for $100 at a liquidation place 8-10 years ago.

Do need to be careful using it so as not to damage any finishes, like paint  :o .  On siding, need to make sure you don't get under it and start lifting the siding off.  On decks it will take paint right off in very narrow strips.

Tried it a couple of times for the garage floor but getting the water out, and dealing with the spray that comes up onto the walls, made that idea sort of unpractical.  No floor drains so have to get the water to flow out the door(s).
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 04:02:53 pm »
I have a Simoniz, it still works but the switch doesn't, it's on as soon as you plug it in.  Also the unloading valve doesn't work so you have to keep the trigger pulled all the time or it won't turn on again once it unloads the pressure.

So, think I'd go Karcher next time, not sure if they are any better but Simoniz seems to have a few problems.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 04:27:28 pm »
I have one for deck, driveway, and patio duty. I stopped using in on the cars after listening to Shane the detail king. If I was up north and exposing a truck or SUV to mud it would use it.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 04:45:34 pm »
I have a Coleman that I use to take off the green and black algae that covers the deck, walkways and patio furniture in the winter here. 

I never use it on the car though.  A hose and a soft soapy cloth work best. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 07:05:36 pm »
Have a gas one.  Works good to clean the deck strips the paint right off lol

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 07:17:26 pm »
I have a composite deck.  Manufacturer recommends not using a power pressure washer.  So me hearties, I have to swab the deck the old fashioned way with a mop. 

Check my unit and it is a Simoniz. 

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »
I've used the Simoniz units and have looked at the Karcher models.  Both no doubt are good.

I used it to strip paint off decks and to clean out eavestroughs (storm gutters) on my garage roof back when I had my house.  The roof was one of those gravel and tar types.  The birds, wind, and such would knock the gravel into the gutters, which would then form a plug with leaves.  There were even a few sprouting seeds!.

Anyway, the pressure washer turned that mess into a directed shrapnel bomb.  My neighbour, who was a good 20 feet away, had to back off in a hurry.  :o :shuffle:

OTOH, it did a great job in cleaning the gutters.  ;D
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 05:10:11 pm »
I have the Simoniz 1900psi unit from crappy tire.  I think I use it twice a year?  I'll use it on the garage floor and on the deck in the spring.  It works quite well.  Like others have said, the hose is very stiff.  It's so stiff that the first time I used it I pulled the unit over and broke a piece off.

If I lived near you, I'd offer to just loan you mine...
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 05:29:53 pm »
I bought my dad a Husky 2000psi electric one about 10-12?? years ago from Home Depot. Same thing, used on decks, garage floors and driveways. For washing a car, I would want a better quality one that has a good soap dispenser unit as the one on this one is a pile of crap, worked like twice and now will not dispense soap.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 09:15:01 pm »

Just make sure you get one at 50% off.  Keep checking CRAPPY for deals.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 09:28:18 pm »

Just make sure you get one at 50% off.  Keep checking CRAPPY for deals.

Exactly, just like a Bic lighter. Run them for 5-6 years and toss them for a new one. Cheaper to buy than repair.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 09:36:08 pm »
I used to have Karcher (1800-1900 psi) for about two years when it died and would not make any pressure.  Luckily it was bought at Costco (~$180 after rebates IIRC) so it was returned without issues.  I than bought gas powered Karcher also from Costco, which is way, way better.  A lot more pressure, cleans faster, overall much better tool.  It is used around the house (car, deck, siding, windows etc.).  It was roughly twice the price but well worth it IMO.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
electric pressure washer, anyone got one?
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 09:36:41 pm »
On my 2nd Simonize unit. Yes, 2nd one purchased at Crapy Tire for 50% off.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?