Author Topic: bicycle insurance  (Read 6531 times)

Offline marineboy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Re: bicycle insurance
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 04:36:57 pm »
I don't begrudge anyone who spends big $$ on their bikes especially if they need to be competitive. For me, my mountain bike riding is strictly for fitness so a cheaper heavier bike actually helps the workout. To keep the costs down I buy good quality 1 to 3 year old mountain bikes off Kijiji for a steal and don't sweat the insurance or worry about it being stolen. :)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Re: bicycle insurance
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 05:17:28 pm »
the bike industry is insane.  I can't imagine the mark ups.
my brake pads, which are not much bigger than the size of a loonie can cost more than some automotive pads.
it's insane.   it makes no real sense, except we're obviously willing to pay for it.
 ::)

Yep. Bike tires are insanely expensive for how small they are. $50-70 per tires and I might get 2 years out of some of them. Catch some glass or a piece off a car and rip out the sidewall, need a new tire.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 05:21:38 pm »
I always find it funny when people can not accept that somebody would rather have a bicycle than a motorcycle, no matter what the cost is.

Oh I can accept it...ride what makes you happy. Also not every locale has good dirt biking places....or good places to cycle.

I frequently look at a cost vs performance thing, that's all.

Still can't get my head around $30k+ RC airplanes...

Gotcha. While I restrict the money I will spend on a bike because that extra $1000 which will make me 2 seconds faster over 40km means nothing to me. But just like cars, some people have more money and want to buy want ever they want despite the skill level. Power to them. I also shop off season and can save 50% of list prices.

I will admit I couldn't stop laughing at the guy wearing a TT aero helmet on Lakeshore in Oakville getting every red light. I just hope he was 'testing' it out to make sure it was comfy.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2014, 04:55:27 pm »
I always find it funny when people can not accept that somebody would rather have a bicycle than a motorcycle, no matter what the cost is.

Oh I can accept it...ride what makes you happy. Also not every locale has good dirt biking places....or good places to cycle.

I frequently look at a cost vs performance thing, that's all.

Still can't get my head around $30k+ RC airplanes...

Gotcha. While I restrict the money I will spend on a bike because that extra $1000 which will make me 2 seconds faster over 40km means nothing to me. But just like cars, some people have more money and want to buy want ever they want despite the skill level. Power to them. I also shop off season and can save 50% of list prices.

I will admit I couldn't stop laughing at the guy wearing a TT aero helmet on Lakeshore in Oakville getting every red light. I just hope he was 'testing' it out to make sure it was comfy.

I won't ride there and the guys who ride north of Dundas joke about the bill board riders on Lakeshore  :P

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Re: bicycle insurance
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 03:36:44 pm »
so some surprising details on our "special rider"

bikes covered for 100% value with $0 deductable.
bikes are covered ANYWHERE at ANYTIME.
bikes are actually covered for full cost replacement on damage (even if due to a crash)
bikes are ONLY covered for thief if locked (must be locked at all times)

we've cancelled our rider.   At $465 a year and being paid for the last 5 year... i could have gotten a road bike instead!!! 

Our home policy does include $2000 per bike in the content insurance with $700 deductable.
this covers fire and thief from the home or garage but not outside the home.