Author Topic: Used Vehicle Advice: Used Pony Cars and Affordable Muscle  (Read 12961 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: Used Vehicle Advice: Used Pony Cars and Affordable Muscle
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 12:32:49 pm »
Love everything about the Challenger, from the name to the big butt. Sure thing, the 'Stang is more nimble but I don't care.  8)
Wouldn't mind owning a 'Stang but there is something about that Challenger... that speaks to me... American muscle.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 12:36:06 pm »
when it's re-done, it's supposed to be smaller, lighter, with a supercharged engine and the new styled interior... that's for 2015... so it should be pretty darn competitive by then.

that's mighty interesting.

Currently the Challenger is a 2 door version of the Charger.  Both are nice, but that's about it.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 12:38:51 pm »
Love everything about the Challenger, from the name to the big butt. Sure thing, the 'Stang is more nimble but I don't care.  8)
Wouldn't mind owning a 'Stang but there is something about that Challenger... that speaks to me... American muscle.

Providing one can afford the "392".  The 5.7 doesn't cut it.  That motor is in every Ram in town and there are a sh*t load.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 12:39:07 pm »

Boss.

They look great....no one is saying they dont, but the other cars in its class are a much better car.

Yeah, but hot DAMN.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 12:40:31 pm »
You'd drive around with those stripes?  ;D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 12:44:40 pm »

470 horses under the hood does buy a lot of forgiveness.  ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 01:25:25 pm »
I'm another one that would choose the Mustang but still have "what if" thoughts about the Challenger. I think it nails the looks the best and is probably the best highway cruiser, depending on your subjective feel for the interior/seats. I think the Camaro and the Mustang try to do much with the exterior design and that the Challenger is more subtle in the ways of the designs from the 70s.

The V8s in the Challenger is either interesting or problematic depending on your point of view. The R/T isn't really competitive in terms of straight MSRP value with the GT or SS. The SRT though is the in-betweener; it has more oomph than the GT or the SS but can't hang with the GT500 or the LS1 but its priced in between the tiers of its stable mates as well.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 01:25:49 pm »

I would.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2014, 11:15:41 pm »
Stripes are so ***.  Moreover, might as well install a huge revolving flashing light on the roof for the cops because they will stalk you.  Unless of course, the operator is simply a "look at me" owner and never hammers it and those owners do exist.  Probably the majority. 

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2014, 11:52:52 pm »
Stripes suit some cars.  Pony cars , Cobras and their replicas and Minis are all that I can think of. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 02:49:12 pm »
when it's re-done, it's supposed to be smaller, lighter, with a supercharged engine and the new styled interior... that's for 2015... so it should be pretty darn competitive by then.

http://jalopnik.com/theres-eight-2015-challenger-trims-but-they-forgot-the-1564066610

The new Challenger variants are as follows: SXT, SXT Plus, R/T, R/T Plus, R/T Shaker, R/T Plus Shaker, 6.4-liter Scat Pack and 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker. The SXTs get the base 305 HP Pentastar V6, the R/Ts get a 5.7L Hemi V8 making 375 HP/410 lb-ft, and the big boys get the 6.4L Hemi V8 making a healthy and very symmetrical 470 HP and 470 kb-ft of twisties.
Mr Pickypants

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 05:21:43 pm »
370Z a Pony car?  Really?

If you think of the pony car definition (small-ish or at least not huge, moderate power, decent handling compared to larger power cars), the Z fits, as does the Genny Coupe (better than the Challenger that's for sure). We started off thinking of just the three Americans, but then I wanted to throw in a couple extra competitors for some international flavour and to suggest some alternative possibilities on the used market. Just because it's Japanese or Korean, i see no reason to exclude it for that reason.

Plus, I like to shake things up when it comes to our category definitions...

The Germans (M3, C63, RS4/5) are on another pricing scale unfortunately, and we'll get to those eventually...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 11:00:45 am »
i've always had a soft spot for the Mustang...i owned an 87 many years ago (just the 4cyl model) and despite it being a beater car, it was one of the most reliable and easy to own (afford) cars i've ever had (in terms of used cars)...i got it for free (traded my Mazda MX-6 GT Turbo for it, as the Mazda decided to grenade its transmission, and i couldn't find an affordable tranny to get it fixed)...my buddy, who is a mechanic and works on cars had the Mustang kicking around and said he would swap cars with me so i had a ride (was broke at the time)...had that car for 5 years...the only thing that needed replacing was the alternator and the starter motor...total cost - $85...it was also decent on gas too...it wasn't much to look at (it had about 300,000 kms on it), but it was the perfect car for me at the time (needed something cheap to run as i was in a financial low point in my life)...it never let me down.

if i had some money for an "affordable" fun car, perhaps a nice Yellow Mustang GT (with the black stripes) would be fun.  :)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.