Author Topic: Kia Drops Official Details, Images Of New Sedona  (Read 11035 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Kia Drops Official Details, Images Of New Sedona
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:02:30 pm »

Revealed before its NYIAS debut, the new Sedona is an eight-passenger Cadenza wagon

Read More...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Kia Drops Official Details, Images Of New Sedona
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 04:15:02 pm »
Looks like a Nissan Quest, do they still make those ?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:22:07 pm »
looks like a minivan  :P you can only do so much with a box.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:35:38 pm »
looks like a minivan  :P you can only do so much with a box.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 08:13:06 pm »
I like it, but did Kia determine that parents don't like to jump to the back of the van?

Looks kinda cramped too. I expect to be coddled and cozy in a compact so my body's not thrashed around when I sling it into a corner, but in a minivan I want to sprawl out like a boss.

Otherwise, it's a pretty slick interior. The 8 passenger model looks comfy. The BMW like centre dash is nice.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Kia Drops Official Details, Images Of New Sedona
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 09:52:15 pm »
I like it, but did Kia determine that parents don't like to jump to the back of the van?

Agreed.  As well, that rising beltline is going to negatively affect outward visibility and that third row will feel dark.  However, I do like what they did for third row access with that slick second row seat folding mechanism.  Glad Kia stepped up to the plate and are competitive again.  Still am happy with my decision to go with the Honda.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:15:08 pm »
I rather like the overall design, inside and out.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 10:22:05 pm »
As a van owner, I have had to "walk" from the front seat to the back so that center console (it is nice looking) I think will get in the way. I also have passed 2x4 and other similarly long items between the front seats.

I didn't notice in the press release but do the middle seat only fold up or can they also be removed? 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 09:21:13 am »
Looks like a Nissan Quest, do they still make those ?
I thought it looked a lot like a Sienna, and Kia certainly used it as a benchmark.

I think it looks nice, but I don't like the rising rear beltline - the Odyssey was very smart in that odd shape!  I see the major drawback of this thing being a cramped interior, which negates the reason why one would by a behemoth minivan in the first place.  Then again, Kia has always put style above attention to detail.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 09:40:58 am »
I totally agree that the huge centre console will get in the way for many parents.

Honda's offering is still the best in this business, IMO.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 12:16:11 pm »
As a repeat minivan owner, I agree with the others here - the huge center console is a mistake in a van. Shifter needs to be on the IP, and console must be removable to stow long items or walk to the back.

I'm also wondering about the 2nd row seats - these should be removable. The folding method is clever for "on the go" cargo duties, as Kia says, but the seats need to go out when needed (they'll probably have the added hassle of an electric connector to uncouple in higher trims). Nissan took the gamble of producing a "sport utility van" with a high floor and less cargo room, and it bombed.

Wish they showed the regular trims in pics.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 12:24:50 pm »
If you have to drive a box, this one looks pretty darn good (inside and out). I have no comments on functionality and don't quibble with the comments above. Just saying that the Sedona looks good.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 06:21:06 pm »
That console and floor shifter is probably fine with older kids that require less tending to. A nice touch actually. I would hope it's only on the top model but with the floor shifter, I highly doubt it.

From the one shot, the rear looks like a cave. Young kids sitting in the back won't be able to see out.

But overall I like how premium this new Sedona feels. Kia just has to realize that people drive minivans for functionality first, style would be a bonus. While it retains functionality with good seating and tons of cargo room, the slightly missed the mark. We'll see how it sells. Maybe it might sway parents over who would otherwise buy crossovers with a penalty box of the 3rd row and no walk through to the back. Kia had been on a sales streak.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 06:24:02 pm »
And I agree with Blueprint, if those second row seats don't come out, that could be a huge deal breaker compared to the major three.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 07:23:32 pm »
meh. tough to get excited about a van, but nice to see another player offering what should fit between the grand caravan and the other players price wise...

not nice for me of course... especially next to a kia store...

overall.. looks pretty nice. and i think the center console, while not great from a practicality standpoint, might make the minivan jump for those new families much less painful. makes it seem not very vanish. too bad there is zero mistaking it from any other vantage.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 01:03:53 pm »
Not crazy about the exterior. And while the interior is nice I agree with everyone else - not very functional for a minivan. Sounds like they've put a lot of work into it though. Of course they've had a ton of time! Wonder if they'll come out with a Hyundai version this time around?
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »
If I had older kids, I probably could overlook that lack of centre walkthrough and tall rear windows. And I agree with tooscoops, parents who put style over practicality who would normally look at CUVs and shun minivans might have a look at this. So Kia has a target market in mind, let's see how well they do. Nissan certainly failed. I think it was a good looking minivan and should've appealed to people who wouldn't have considered minivans otherwise, but somehow it didn't.

Offline odman

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 08:57:11 pm »
I'm really glad to see another offering in this segment. Kudos to Kia for offering both this and the Rondo. Speaks to their support of the flexible people mover category. Not everyone wants an SUV/Crossover.

I think the new Sedona looks good, but the high belt-line (sorta like the Quest) in the back quarters doesn't really do it for me. I like the fact that it has a simple instrument panel, including rotary knobs for the HVAC controls - far easier to use than pressing through menu commands on many systems today.

Like the others, I'd want that mid row to be fully removable. Folding up against the front seatbacks is fine in a pinch, but I've had the seats out of my Odyssey a few times for bulk moving.

Similarly, a giant console in the middle of the front row is a pain - hopefuly it is optional - how else is the co-pilot parent going to get back there to administer justice to the unruly brood?

Has anyone seen width/length dimensions for the Sedona? The newer Odyssey/Sienna have become porky little pigs that barely fit in garages. Hopefully the Sedona is slightly trimmer.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 11:32:25 pm »

Has anyone seen width/length dimensions for the Sedona? The newer Odyssey/Sienna have become porky little pigs that barely fit in garages. Hopefully the Sedona is slightly trimmer.

Length:  203"
Width:  78.1"
Height:  68.5"
Wheelbase:  120.3"

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 12:08:14 am »

The oversized minivan issue is 10 years old, but my 194" long first gen Sienna just fits in my garage with enough room to work on it. It doesn't quite have the legroom, shoulder room and cargo space of the newer vans though. So I'd take the extra space even if it means leaving the garage door open when I work on it.