Author Topic: Long-Term Test Wrap-up: 2014 Acura MDX Elite  (Read 5640 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Wrap-up: 2014 Acura MDX Elite
« on: April 11, 2014, 06:30:42 am »

The Acura MDX has made it through rain, sleet, and snow in its two months with Senior Editor Jonathan Yarkony and impressed a whole raft of reviewers besides.

Read More...

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
Re: Long-Term Test Wrap-up: 2014 Acura MDX Elite
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:09:51 pm »
I recognize the following is strictly a personal opinion based on guts and not facts; something I rarely do... I find the new MDX outside design awful, so much that this model makes the previous one a much better looking one. Montrealers are fond of Acuras, especially of the MDX, yet I only saw one on the road since the new model is out. I don't think this MDX is going to do as well as the previous model.

Usually technology can win me over. Not in this case. SH-AWD used to be an ace in Honda's portfolio but now torque vectoring is no longer a novelty. I seriously considered the TL until I found out the front wheels can easily spin before torque is transferred to the rear wheels which makes the SH-AWD still a bit more reactive than proactive system.

I can see the MDX is still an interesting proposition for someone who wants something more dynamic than most  of the domestic 3-row SUVs and cheaper than the Germans. As far as I am concerned, I would rather spend less and get an Explorer Sport or Flex 3.5L Ecoboost over the MDX, especially if leased. Or perhaps stretch for a GL less equipped.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 09:14:14 pm »
TL spinning the fronts before the rears kick into action?

In my experience this won't happen unless you're hammering it in the snow. Its a Honda, there's not that much torque.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 09:39:35 pm »
I recognize the following is strictly a personal opinion based on guts and not facts; something I rarely do... I find the new MDX outside design awful, so much that this model makes the previous one a much better looking one. Montrealers are fond of Acuras, especially of the MDX, yet I only saw one on the road since the new model is out. I don't think this MDX is going to do as well as the previous model.

Usually technology can win me over. Not in this case. SH-AWD used to be an ace in Honda's portfolio but now torque vectoring is no longer a novelty. I seriously considered the TL until I found out the front wheels can easily spin before torque is transferred to the rear wheels which makes the SH-AWD still a bit more reactive than proactive system.

I can see the MDX is still an interesting proposition for someone who wants something more dynamic than most  of the domestic 3-row SUVs and cheaper than the Germans. As far as I am concerned, I would rather spend less and get an Explorer Sport or Flex 3.5L Ecoboost over the MDX, especially if leased. Or perhaps stretch for a GL less equipped.

??? Where did you learn that, cracker jack box?

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 08:29:52 am »
Tss Tss Tss Snowman, you should know better  :(. I usually spend too much time writing my posts here (more details than it is worth doing so) to insinuate a candy box is my source of information. I will try to find an evidence I came across years ago but won't spend hours doing so.

And no it was not on snow.

But I do still recognize that SH-AWD is still one of the better AWD systems.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:48:35 am by Benhaze »

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 09:03:46 am »
Here is one example that it is possible to spin the front wheels of the TL SH-AWD. See at 1:20 of this video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJJAMrGKQ0

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 09:52:35 am »
Tss Tss Tss Snowman, you should know better  :(. I usually spend too much time writing my posts here (more details than it is worth doing so) to insinuate a candy box is my source of information. I will try to find an evidence I came across years ago but won't spend hours doing so.

And no it was not on snow.

But I do still recognize that SH-AWD is still one of the better AWD systems.

Yes it is, and why I was confused by your post.

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 01:37:46 pm »
Hey, it's a great vehicle, but has anyone noticed that the world is rather quickly running out of easily available CHEAP oil, and the results are quickly escalating gasoline prices?

I think that by year's end we will see a Liter of gas hitting $2, and by the end of 2015 it will be $2.40.  End of 2016 = $3 per liter. 
like it or not, in 2 years time it will cost you double of what it cost now just to fill up your tank. 

Will your employer double your take-home pay to make up for this?  Doubt it.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 01:52:58 pm »
Hey, it's a great vehicle, but has anyone noticed that the world is rather quickly running out of easily available CHEAP oil, and the results are quickly escalating gasoline prices?

I think that by year's end we will see a Liter of gas hitting $2, and by the end of 2015 it will be $2.40.  End of 2016 = $3 per liter. 
like it or not, in 2 years time it will cost you double of what it cost now just to fill up your tank. 

???

10-yr chart of gas prices in Ontario:

You'll note prices have fluctuated in the same band for the last 4 years.   Obviously they will rise with time, but $3/L in 2016 is a ridiculous prediction.

Run for the hills!!

Also, what the heck does this have to do with the MDX?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 03:09:10 pm »
Stop feeding the negative troll.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 04:01:02 pm »

???

10-yr chart of gas prices in Ontario:

You'll note prices have fluctuated in the same band for the last 4 years.   Obviously they will rise with time, but $3/L in 2016 is a ridiculous prediction.

Run for the hills!!

Also, what the heck does this have to do with the MDX?

IMHO the predictions of monsterous gas prices is a bit misplaced -- ICE is getting more and more efficient all the time and hybrids are I think really going to pick up market share in the next 10 years (both in US/EU and, maybe the 10 years after that, in emerging markets).

Yes we'll still have energy issues but it'll be alleviated a fair bit once we can get out of the ~90m bbl/day habit. US oil demand probably peaked back in 08 (was nearly 21m/day, now something like 19).

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 11:44:02 pm »
THANKS FOR THAT GRAPH / CHART !!! 
Wow, I was way off.
I sure do hope gas prices rise at that slow rate and won't accelerate any time soon.
Again; thanks and have a nice day!