Author Topic: 10 years there will be probably no production in Canada  (Read 11178 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: 10 years there will be probably no production in Canada
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 09:14:15 pm »
I have no sympathy for people who can only come up with excuses.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 10:47:39 pm »
I have no sympathy for people who can only come up with excuses.

I have no sympathy for ppl that are meant to consume "beverages" on a daily basis, stop doing so.  :)

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 10:58:11 pm »
It's easy to sum up.

If your job exists because of government tariffs and large infusions of taxpayers money then free trade is bad.

If you're clever, hard working and have a drive to succeed then free trade is good.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 10:58:58 pm »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 04:14:06 pm »
It's easy to sum up.

If your job exists because of government tariffs and large infusions of taxpayers money then free trade is bad.

If you're clever, hard working and have a drive to succeed then free trade is good.

Free trade has lead to stagnant family incomes since the 1980s. It also allows companies to offset the lack of spending power of typical families by off-shoring production to reduce prices, which reduces the number of local manufacturing jobs, which puts more downward pressure on labour. Repeat as necessary.

You can work as hard as you want, but if it's in retail sales or the service industry, you won't see a return on your effort. Especially with :censor: like the temporary foreign worker programs. We're already seeing increasing competition from foreign engineering companies. It's only a matter of time before that starts to bit hard.

Harper is putting all his eggs in the resource basket. But they are prone to wild swings, which is why government policy always used to be diversification.

Free trade with third world countries is economic suicide.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 04:26:45 pm »
You really know every union excuse ever written.  Do they send you on a training course to learn it when you start or are there just large posters everywhere saying " don't bother trying, you will never succeed"?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 04:45:44 pm »
You really know every union excuse ever written.  Do they send you on a training course to learn it when you start or are there just large posters everywhere saying " don't bother trying, you will never succeed"?

Never let reality interfere with ideology right? That's the right wing motto, and the prime motivator for gutting the census, cuts to Stats Can and Environment Canada.

I've been in meetings where having CAD work done in India was discussed. It worked out to roughly $20/day. There is absolutely no reason why engineering couldn't be done the same way.

Indian and Chinese engineering companies have been sniffing around. It's only starting, but it's only a matter of time.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:50:13 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 07:08:13 pm »

Never let reality interfere with ideology right? That's the right wing motto, and the prime motivator for gutting the census, cuts to Stats Can and Environment Canada.

I've been in meetings where having CAD work done in India was discussed. It worked out to roughly $20/day. There is absolutely no reason why engineering couldn't be done the same way.

Indian and Chinese engineering companies have been sniffing around. It's only starting, but it's only a matter of time.

When I worked for Hatch some 10 plus years ago they were doing that and actually tried to move the work around the globe so the job could be reimbursable 24 hours a day  ::). For simple design it work but it failed on most jobs. The re-work was a gold mine for me and the regulars  ;D we would charge 20% more just to say "I told you so"  :P

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 09:07:53 pm »

I never been right wing or left wing for that matter.  By staying in the middle you find that reality is what you make it not what the special interest groups want you to think it is.

What is your solution?  Hide behind a wall of tariffs and hope the real world goes away?   I think it's far easier and more useful to provide a better service then you could get from a 3rd world shop half way around the world. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 10:54:53 pm »
Other countries should be held to the same labour, safety, and environmental standards that Canadian companies comply to before any products are imported. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1251/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 10:58:25 pm »

I forget...do the janitors and secretaries make as much at your place as the full-on engineers?  I mean since you embrace union mentality, surely your always telling your management this is how it should be and that everyone should be paid the same wage regardless of education and skill level...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 05:47:22 pm »

I forget...do the janitors and secretaries make as much at your place as the full-on engineers?  I mean since you embrace union mentality, surely your always telling your management this is how it should be and that everyone should be paid the same wage regardless of education and skill level...

Don't be fatuous. I've never advocated communism.

Set a floor as a living wage and scale up from there. The lowest compensation here is ~$20/hour + benefits.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 05:47:45 pm »
Other countries should be held to the same labour, safety, and environmental standards that Canadian companies comply to before any products are imported.

Bingo

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 05:59:00 pm »

I never been right wing or left wing for that matter.  By staying in the middle you find that reality is what you make it not what the special interest groups want you to think it is.

What is your solution?  Hide behind a wall of tariffs and hope the real world goes away?   I think it's far easier and more useful to provide a better service then you could get from a 3rd world shop half way around the world.

The exact same solutions that built up the middle class until the 1980s and stupidity that was supply side economics. Tariffs to equalize very low cost producers and liberal trade with countries with similar standards. Higher taxes on those that can afford it, higher taxes on corporations, capital gains tax rates set at no less than income tax, healthy levels of consumer protections and regulations, and a reduction of tuition rates to those of the 1980s when adjusted for inflation.

I've seen a number of successful engineering projects done by engineering companies from emerging markets. All they need is market development and some refinement. It's simply racism to believe that they couldn't do anything as well as their first world counterparts.

I'll also tell you that large internationals are developing their own Indian and Chinese branches. They are quite capable of diverting work there in order to reduce costs. That work is still reviewed by project management before being turned over. That process is completely invisible to clients, who may well believe the work has been done locally.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1251/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 06:33:45 pm »

Set a floor as a living wage and scale up from there.

And what is that wage...in your mind?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 10 years there will be probably no production in Canada
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 07:02:39 pm »

Set a floor as a living wage and scale up from there.

And what is that wage...in your mind?

WAG, somewhere between $15 and $20 and hour.

Sent from my G3 using Tapatalk Pro

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 06:29:56 pm »
After reading today's proposed Ontario Provincial Government completely insane spending without anywhere-near-the-income budget, the Subject line might actually be accurate after all. And I'm not just talking automobile production.

Anyone want to bet that a credit downgrade and increased financing costs won't go hand and hand with this?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2014, 09:28:21 pm »
Anyone want to bet that a credit downgrade and increased financing costs won't go hand and hand with this?

Not me.  It's a sad state of affairs no question.  The PCs would already be in power if they hadn't elected that turd HUDAK as leader.  Would it kill them (PCs) to elect a moderate, at least on the surface, whose main election platform was not highway prison chain gangs. 

It's such a sh*t show.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2014, 10:47:40 am »
It's such a sh*t show.

^^^
THIS
and it's why we can't (hopefully don't) have an early election.   Ontario has enough debt, the cost of an election just isn't worth it.

The Liberals have a plan to spend us out this economic mess, while the Conservatives want to cut taxes and Government services.   Something has to be done to try and re-start the economy in Ontario, it's clear the private sector isn't doing anything.  Now the Government needs to set up and try to create jobs.

Both plans are questionable.   Infrastructure spending certainly will create jobs but will it pay itself in the long run?   Meanwhile the Feds have tried lowering corporate taxes and stats show that really hasn't had the job creation impact as they hoped, and now that's Hudak's solution.   Cutting spending may reduce the Government's cost but that certainly doesn't help the job situation.

At this point both plans have risks and the extra cost of an election is the last thing we really need.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2014, 11:26:52 am »
This is how the NDP gets in power.....

Liberals who should be in fackin' jail...

Conservative sh!t show....

Voter apathy.....

At least things will be bright for my teacher wife when the NDP gets into power. She's probably make 175K a year!  :rofl2:

Nova Scotia made that mistake.
Lasted one term.