Author Topic: Argue that there's a need for winter tires? How about time to take them off?!  (Read 7996 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Now I play it safe.

...as long as "playing it safe" doesn't mean that you keep the winters on all summer, I'm ok with that!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
I agree that the weather through the mountains can change at anytime. The Coquihalla Highway got close 4 inches of snow last August.

This is a reason why I wouldn't go for summer tires unless they were for a third set of wheels which only makes sense if you put at least 33,000km on one vehicle a year. In Vancouver I'd do winter tires December to February, all weather tires like the Nokian WRG2 March til May and September til November, and summer tires June til August. For going on a road trip through the mountains in the middle of the summer, I'd slap on the all weather tires just in case.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Once the average daytime high gets to the 7°C mark, that's when I do the tire change.  That's right about now.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Yesterday

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
I'll probably change my truck out this week and leave them on the V for another couple weeks or so just in case there is a storm.  The V generally gets little mileage during the week, so no big deal.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Actually, I just looked at the extended forecast and booked both cars for tomorrow.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Thursday before Easter.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline odman

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
I'm in the GTA and the weather yesterday (12 degrees, sunny) made it seem like the thing to do.
I'm sure now we'll get freezing rain or something like that to make me regret it!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Mine would have come off on Sunday but Lady O was running the roads. Maybe this weekend.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
It snowed today in Ottawa, and it's going down to -10C with tomorrow's high topping out at a whopping +3C.  Winter tires are off, but I feel I jumped the gun.

Even April Fools Day is late this year.   :(

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Ha so cold my mailbox was frozen shut.  Considering that didn't happen all winter....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Wow you guys weren't kidding when you wanted to keep your winter tires on just a little bit longer.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
I forgot to garage the car I needed to take to work this morning, and damn! frozen layer of ice and a bunch of snow on top!

But because I listened to my husband (he would say that happens too rarely, so I highlighted it  :rofl2:), my winter tire change-over is scheduled for the end of this month. So I was able to drive comfortably during the last stand of The Winter Which Won't Die.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Wow you guys weren't kidding when you wanted to keep your winter tires on just a little bit longer.
And my wife scoffed at me when I insisted on leaving the scrapers and snowbrushes in the cars....

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
Mine are still on and will be staying on for another 2 weeks at least.  Not only will that cover what is proving to be an unpredictable month, I will be able to combine that with my regular maintenance which is not due until May. 

I don't have the place to store the tires myself so I pay the garage to handle both storage and swapping duties.  A little extra money that is well spent in my case.  As always, YMMV.  ;)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Northernridge

We're getting near recored lows overnight still...way below zero. So I guess I'll wait for winter to end.  :P

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Any of you Albertans glad you didn't take your winter tires off yet?
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Daytime highs in the mid-teens here now and I still see plenty of cars on winters.
My own SLK is one of them, but it's just been sitting in the garage anyway, so I haven't bothered to do anything about it yet.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Highlander was switched about a week ago, but it's summer tires are a snowflake rated tire.  The Corolla was done yesterday.  The Forester will sit on snows until June, as a "just in case."

Woke up to fresh snow this morning, but only a skiff, and the roads are getting some solar, so they're just wet.  Daytime highs are barely above 0C right now.

It's been a brutal spring.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Any of you Albertans glad you didn't take your winter tires off yet?

I put my summers on a couple weeks ago: enjoyed a few sunny days in the high teens and then this.  >:(

Had to make two trips to the city recently, so was forced to take the truck with its all-seasons. The roads were wet, and temperatures were only plus one or two, but I still could have snuck by with the car on its summers.

Went to the city again yesterday and said screw it. Forecast was plus six, with maybe showers or flurries, so I took the car. Roads were wet for a bit, there was snow in the air, and I saw the temperature go down to plus one. Perhaps a bit of a gamble on summer performance rubber, but it was worth it in the end. Roads were bare and dry on the way home and I was able to have a bit of fun.

If I didn't have a second vehicle running at least all-seasons in the summer, I seriously think I'd have to put the summer rubber on June 15 and take it off Sept. 15. Even then, there's always a chance of a good July snowstorm.  :P