Author Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 2253056 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2014, 09:09:46 pm »
Nono, post drinks is time for reflection and contemplation. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 09:12:18 pm »
IMO alcohol stimulates creativity  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2014, 09:12:28 pm »
Well then another little thing that makes me happy is my 9:05-3:15 workday – a wild anomaly in the advertising business.

Almost no one takes me seriously but I keep telling people to try and separate value creation from time...any progress at all will either make you more money or save you time or both.

I agree, most of my best ideas come over lunch. Afternoons are almost a total waste.

But corporate world is what it is. Seems to be a virtual guarantee once companies grow past a certain size.

If when I get to run my own fund...breakfast will be provided every day, at 730am, everyone eats around the breakfast table and talks about business. Then everyone should feel free to bugger off by 3pm unless shits really hitting the fan. Cut out all the useless meetings and distractions and 8am-3pm can be hyper productive.

My best work is after hours....typically after a few drinks  :P

Relaxed, reflecting with free flowing thoughts...the creative realm.  ;) 

Northernridge

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2014, 09:26:02 pm »
On topic – good advertising makes me happier than happy...giddy sometimes. My all time favourite documentary is called Art & Copy – best film ever about the ad business. All creative people will like it and want to be an adman (or adgirl). This thread reminds me of it because some of the old guys in the film talk about going down to the bar to drink whiskey while coming up with legendary ad campaigns. The trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLfvmiB4edI

Even if you hate advertising, there is a great segment in the film about the Think Small VW Beetle campaign by the people who created it.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2014, 09:32:02 pm »
"we should be in charge"  :)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2014, 10:38:42 pm »
On topic – good advertising makes me happier than happy...giddy sometimes. My all time favourite documentary is called Art & Copy – best film ever about the ad business. All creative people will like it and want to be an adman (or adgirl). This thread reminds me of it because some of the old guys in the film talk about going down to the bar to drink whiskey while coming up with legendary ad campaigns. The trailer...

Even if you hate advertising, there is a great segment in the film about the Think Small VW Beetle campaign by the people who created it.

Looks interesting. I'll have to give it a watch.

I love listening to Age of Persuasion on CBC radio by Terry O'Reilly. Ever heard the show or know of the guy? I guess he has a new show now (Under the Influence), but I haven't heard it yet.

http://www.cbc.ca/ageofpersuasion/

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 12:28:43 am »

I love listening to Age of Persuasion on CBC radio by Terry O'Reilly. Ever heard the show or know of the guy? I guess he has a new show now (Under the Influence), but I haven't heard it yet.

I liked it too. Very interesting and well presented.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 05:45:53 am »

+3.  Under The Influence is also very good.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2014, 06:49:11 am »

+3.  Under The Influence is also very good.

+4  Among my favourite CBC radio shows (along with White Coat Black Art and the Vinyl Cafe)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2014, 09:07:38 am »

seen the film a few years ago (can't remember how long)
LOVED IT.   Even before the film, I've always wanted to get into advertising.
Instead I took broadcasting in school, got a gravy summer job while in College and a few curve balls later, I end up working in the financial industry...... 

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2014, 09:36:52 pm »
April showers bring May ...........

At least I hope so.  So far, all its brought me is a wet basement.  :o

First time going to work for a while where I didn't have to wear boots.  Yes!

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 09:05:40 am »
Today's observations:
- women's brightly coloured and patterned rubber boots
- sheltering building awning appearing just as a downpour started
- songbirds causing a racket outside my bedroom window
- favourite roast brewing at coffee shop

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2014, 09:23:27 am »
-when i wake up in the morning without allergy sniffles.

oh, also seeing the spring cloths.
it's only 6 degree today and ladies in town are already wearing dresses

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 11:17:38 am »
-when i wake up in the morning without allergy sniffles.

oh, also seeing the spring cloths.
it's only 6 degree today and ladies in town are already wearing dresses

Ughhh....tell me about it, my allergies are killing me....but yes...hurray for the lighter clothing  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 01:44:54 am »
My wife and I were having lunch at the food fair in the mall the other day and saw a young mother with 2 adorable and very well-behaved boys, one about 3 years old and the other about 5. The love in their eyes was so obvious it seemed to make everyone smile, it certainly made our day. :)

I was at CT today and a fellow customer saw me struggling to get a heavy box into my shopping cart. The gentleman came over and helped me, thank you, sir! Inside the box was the compound mitre saw I've had my eye on for half price! Gonna start on that new deck pretty soon! ;D 
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 04:36:11 pm »
Are ducks every fast flyers!  Two of them this morning, flying in formation with (and outpacing) our train on the way into Ottawa.  They finally dove to a pond.

Illuminated elevator call buttons making a perfect "T"

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 07:20:04 pm »
Being told by the boss "It's a long weekend...go home early".  If you insist.... ;D
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 07:23:51 pm »
After a winter like this......seeing the ice go out of the cove.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 08:18:24 pm »
Getting access to service manual information and confirming my HVAC problem diagnosis in about 5 minutes.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 09:52:19 pm »
Getting a signed contract before the long weekend.