Author Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 2257177 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #1300 on: November 23, 2014, 11:28:10 am »
On my way to pick up my mother and take her out for a belated birthday dinner.  Her bday was last week and we planned on going then but she didn't feel well at the time so we cancelled.  She turned 93!  :o  I am 50 so she was 43 when she had me...tough old bird!   ;D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #1301 on: November 23, 2014, 11:30:08 am »
On my way to pick up my mother and take her out for a belated birthday dinner.  Her bday was last week and we planned on going then but she didn't feel well at the time so we cancelled.  She turned 93!  :o  I am 50 so she was 43 when she had me...tough old bird!   ;D

Fantastic!!!

I've heard of study where they said that women who give birth late into their lives somehow live longer.
my mom's mother (my only living grand parent) is 99.    mom's not even 60 yet...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #1302 on: November 23, 2014, 11:30:43 am »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: November 23, 2014, 11:31:35 am »

Mexican coffee.   it's such a delight.

even the decaf is SOOOO good, i'm gonna try and find some on the net.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: November 23, 2014, 11:58:22 am »
^^Any cocaine in there?  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #1305 on: November 23, 2014, 12:01:04 pm »
I will lose the equivalent of about $33,000/annually in gross income while on disability

Have you factored in that disability income is not taxable?  Typical plans pay 2/3 of the patient's salary which often works out to the same net income thanks to the lack of deductions.
Not all plans are that way. I know people who were chase by the tax department
I was told if your company pays for it, it is taxable ,if you paid for it is not . Best to check with your HR department
WSIB payments are not taxable in Ontario
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:21:55 pm by airbalancer »

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #1306 on: November 23, 2014, 12:17:09 pm »
My gross income is currently about $110,000/annually.  My LT disability plan is worth %70 of my gross...  People keep telling me that thanks to a change in tax brackets, I will not lose that much in the end...  I need to go on EI first for either two weeks or a month before LTD kicks in.  Have a meeting with compensation tomorrow...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: November 23, 2014, 12:21:00 pm »
My gross income is currently about $110,000/annually.  My LT disability plan is worth %70 of my gross...  People keep telling me that thanks to a change in tax brackets, I will not lose that much in the end...  I need to go on EI first for either two weeks or a month before LTD kicks in.  Have a meeting with compensation tomorrow...
On the bright side you have more time to post here  :rofl2:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1308 on: November 23, 2014, 12:37:40 pm »

Nice, my Dad went on LTD for 10 years. It was the best thing for him and us.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: November 23, 2014, 12:39:23 pm »

The last time I look I could not pay  LTD that would last longer then 5 years

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1310 on: November 23, 2014, 12:41:22 pm »
How bad is your problem anyway?  I had that last year, atrial fibrillation (I think that's what it was, racing heart rate, 130 + and way off kilter, felt very awful - that's what you had/have, right?  ???) and they got it under control, put me on some meds to relax me, then the Dr said stop taking them...then I waited 9 months for an echo-cardiogram (early June)...then I waited until yesterday when I finally called them (I called 4-5 weeks ago and they still hadn't heard anything back!) and said. "So? What's up?" to which the receptionist, who pulled my file, said "all's normal. No problems" and said if there were the Dr would call and have told me already.  Really? No actual face to face with the Dr? Nope, you don't need it. And that was that.  I assume I'm normal...again.  I guess I'm just curious if what you have is the same, but somehow worse...or maybe it's just the Dr's out there are so much better. I kept expecting to wake up one day in a pine box, not waking up.  Am I on my way out, or aren't I? She says I'm not.  Guess I should trust her medical opinion. lol

My heart is weak and enlarged. I'm am retaining fluid.  My weight went from about 220 to 248 over 3 weeks.  It is now about 235.  I am on beta blockers, blood thinners, and diuretics.   I have limited strength and energy and get winded easily...  It is all quite scary.   I could be off work for months...  Will need to go on disability for a while.  I will lose the equivalent of about $33,000/annually in gross income while on disability...    I live alone  - my parents are in Newfoundland.  My sister is in the west end of Ottawa, but has two small kids, a husband and a career of her own.  My main support broke up with me on Monday...  I am feeling a little lost...

:censor:, what happened Ken, I thought you were super fit?  :(

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1311 on: November 23, 2014, 12:48:43 pm »
My experience with government plans is that the employer generally pays the premium, BUT, includes it in the taxable income of the employee, making the payments non-taxable.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1312 on: November 23, 2014, 01:37:30 pm »

There are many levels of coverage. I have LTD that will take me to the grave and I am a one man company.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: November 23, 2014, 01:41:01 pm »
How bad is your problem anyway?  I had that last year, atrial fibrillation (I think that's what it was, racing heart rate, 130 + and way off kilter, felt very awful - that's what you had/have, right?  ???) and they got it under control, put me on some meds to relax me, then the Dr said stop taking them...then I waited 9 months for an echo-cardiogram (early June)...then I waited until yesterday when I finally called them (I called 4-5 weeks ago and they still hadn't heard anything back!) and said. "So? What's up?" to which the receptionist, who pulled my file, said "all's normal. No problems" and said if there were the Dr would call and have told me already.  Really? No actual face to face with the Dr? Nope, you don't need it. And that was that.  I assume I'm normal...again.  I guess I'm just curious if what you have is the same, but somehow worse...or maybe it's just the Dr's out there are so much better. I kept expecting to wake up one day in a pine box, not waking up.  Am I on my way out, or aren't I? She says I'm not.  Guess I should trust her medical opinion. lol

My heart is weak and enlarged. I'm am retaining fluid.  My weight went from about 220 to 248 over 3 weeks.  It is now about 235.  I am on beta blockers, blood thinners, and diuretics.   I have limited strength and energy and get winded easily...  It is all quite scary.   I could be off work for months...  Will need to go on disability for a while.  I will lose the equivalent of about $33,000/annually in gross income while on disability...    I live alone  - my parents are in Newfoundland.  My sister is in the west end of Ottawa, but has two small kids, a husband and a career of her own.  My main support broke up with me on Monday...  I am feeling a little lost...

:censor:, what happened Ken, I thought you were super fit?  :(

IMO fitness is about quality of life. DNA determines how long you live, according to my family history I should have been dead 2 years ago  :P
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:43:43 pm by Snowman »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: November 23, 2014, 01:54:26 pm »

There are many levels of coverage. I have LTD that will take me to the grave and I am a one man company.
That was a while ago though local chamber of business
At my age, it would probably be very costly

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1315 on: November 23, 2014, 03:31:11 pm »

Ouch! Never rains but it pours! Sorry to hear that man.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #1316 on: November 23, 2014, 03:52:01 pm »

Mexican coffee.   it's such a delight.

even the decaf is SOOOO good, i'm gonna try and find some on the net.
Agreed! Yummy.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1317 on: November 23, 2014, 06:13:45 pm »
Finding out a local corner store, recently taken over by a young Korean family, is now mostly a science store and has a good selection of Mecanno toys and Tamiya models and supplies.  They also have a bunch of other neat stuff for kids.  I remember Mecanno as being my favorite type of toy when I was a kid.  They were hard to find around here even in those days.  We bought a package for our 6 year old nephew for Xmas.  I'd like to get the huge USS Enterprise aircraft carrier they have in stock by Tamiya for myself for my wife and I for Xmas.  :D  In fact they have several large warship models and lots of car models as well.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: November 23, 2014, 08:42:01 pm »

mmmm~~~  it was SOOOOO good.   my significant other tells me it's one of my best yet!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #1319 on: November 23, 2014, 08:47:42 pm »
Finding out a local corner store, recently taken over by a young Korean family, is now mostly a science store and has a good selection of Mecanno toys and Tamiya models and supplies.  They also have a bunch of other neat stuff for kids.  I remember Mecanno as being my favorite type of toy when I was a kid.  They were hard to find around here even in those days.  We bought a package for our 6 year old nephew for Xmas.  I'd like to get the huge USS Enterprise aircraft carrier they have in stock by Tamiya for myself for my wife and I for Xmas.  :D  In fact they have several large warship models and lots of car models as well.

I want the Galaxy Class USS Enterprise!