Author Topic: Little things that make you happy  (Read 2251868 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Little things that make you happy
« Reply #1280 on: November 18, 2014, 09:19:50 pm »
I'm very happy that my boss and our HR reps were more than reasonable in calling around for another placement. So may people just wouldn have bothered in a company our size.

I'd like to think my persistence helped at least a bit.  ;D

Oh, so glad for you (and them)!  Like NRidge just said, the worst possible thing to have to do is terminate someone.  I've been laid off only twice in my life, and both times, my managers were almost in tears, as the circumstances were beyond their control.

Way to go SirO, huge applaud.  Been laid off 5 times at the ripe age of 34.  In all but one case, it didn't feel like management really gave a damn! 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 18, 2014, 09:22:41 pm »

Way to go SirO, huge applaud.  Been laid off 5 times at the ripe age of 34.  In all but one case, it didn't feel like management really gave a damn!

I don't think management cares in large corporations. 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1282 on: November 18, 2014, 09:31:09 pm »
I got word from higher ups that I had to lay two people off. The people who work for me are all top notch, I didn't want to let anyone go.

It was easy enough to get one moved to a different department in our group because of her skillset. But the other one was more of a challenge. The drop dead date for an alternative arrangement was at end of work yesterday. It came and went even though I stayed at work an extra hour waiting for call backs. I felt defeated, and spend a good chunk of last nigh going over the termination script. This morning, my boss said he might have made progress. At noon, the very last possible minute, we got word that a deal with another group had been made.

We still had to do the meeting with the person involved and an HR rep. The look on his face told me he knew he was about to be let go. When I told him of the deal we had arranged, he was obviously stunned, and quite happy with this turn of events. Huge relief all around. The other group is in our building, so no relocation other than a new cubicle on another floor.

In spite of some nail-biting moments:

Excellent!...never had any enjoyment being involved with the cost cutting process when billable hours dry up in the consulting business. Most times for me it happened in December during budget time.....brutal.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1283 on: November 18, 2014, 09:39:33 pm »
Excellent!...never had any enjoyment being involved with the cost cutting process when billable hours dry up in the consulting business. Most times for me it happened in December during budget time.....brutal.

End of year. Yup. Just brutal.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1284 on: November 19, 2014, 08:32:17 pm »
Bought some dainties at Marks and Spencer when I was in Prague a few years ago.  Discovered today that they have an awesome website for online ordering, and they ship to Canada for free if you spend more than 30 pounds.  Done and done.  Stock replenished!

Northernridge

« Reply #1285 on: November 20, 2014, 02:07:01 pm »
The word 'dainties'.

If you didn't know what it meant, what would you think?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1286 on: November 20, 2014, 02:32:06 pm »
The word 'dainties'.

My wife used that word a few years ago.....I was very puzzled. I asked her why not call them pastries or desserts, "because theyre called dainties"...well then.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1287 on: November 20, 2014, 02:53:01 pm »
The word 'dainties'.

Mr Pickypants

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #1288 on: November 22, 2014, 07:50:47 am »
Come on guys, 5 weeks to Christmas, and the unhappy page is outdoing this thread by 7 pages!

Just went shopping last night, for some casual winter boots, after I was unsuccessful last week.  After 7 stores, finally had some success at an Outlet plaza on Burloak.  The other stores didn't have what I wanted, or didn't have my size, money was less of an issue.  So finally got some casual boots.  On the way home stopped at weather tech, got some mats for the Mazda6.  And some new gloves at Marks Work wearhouse, all weekend is 20% off everything...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #1289 on: November 22, 2014, 10:15:44 am »
Woke up at 5.  My sinus situation is almost cleared up. Done grocery shopping fir next week. Got some ribs to cook today.

All weekend left to relax.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #1290 on: November 22, 2014, 11:08:44 am »
SiriusXM free for everyone until Dec 2nd.  Then I can sign up for a 3 month free trial.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #1291 on: November 22, 2014, 12:56:02 pm »
hmm...  Finland's vodka is pretty good!!!

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #1292 on: November 22, 2014, 07:42:18 pm »
hmm...  Finland's vodka is pretty good!!!

Finlandia?  I just picked up a bottle today.  Usually drink Grey Goose but I thought I'd give this a go.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:45:16 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #1293 on: November 22, 2014, 07:44:18 pm »
Snow, and lots of it.  Kids spent the whole day outside playing and shovelling.  I got to pull out the snowblower and run it for the first time this year.  If it's going to be cold, there might as well be snow. :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #1294 on: November 22, 2014, 10:06:56 pm »
SiriusXM free for everyone until Dec 2nd.  Then I can sign up for a 3 month free trial.

No wonder my new car has XM aha!!!

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #1295 on: November 23, 2014, 12:35:04 am »
Discovering that drk chocolate has no sodium, that fresh tuna has one of the lowest sodium levels of all salt water fish,that lean beef, including really nice choice cuts if steak, chicken breasts, and a whole lot of other great foods are very low in sodium.  Low sodium Triscuits are another bonus- I LOVE Triscuits.  Adapting to the new diet has been easy.  Eating out is a bit of a challenge, but not impossible.  Just takes a detailed chat with the serving staff.  So far people have been very helpful and understanding.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #1296 on: November 23, 2014, 01:50:47 am »
How bad is your problem anyway?  I had that last year, atrial fibrillation (I think that's what it was, racing heart rate, 130 + and way off kilter, felt very awful - that's what you had/have, right?  ???) and they got it under control, put me on some meds to relax me, then the Dr said stop taking them...then I waited 9 months for an echo-cardiogram (early June)...then I waited until yesterday when I finally called them (I called 4-5 weeks ago and they still hadn't heard anything back!) and said. "So? What's up?" to which the receptionist, who pulled my file, said "all's normal. No problems" and said if there were the Dr would call and have told me already.  Really? No actual face to face with the Dr? Nope, you don't need it. And that was that.  I assume I'm normal...again.  I guess I'm just curious if what you have is the same, but somehow worse...or maybe it's just the Dr's out there are so much better. I kept expecting to wake up one day in a pine box, not waking up.  Am I on my way out, or aren't I? She says I'm not.  Guess I should trust her medical opinion. lol

My heart is weak and enlarged. I'm am retaining fluid.  My weight went from about 220 to 248 over 3 weeks.  It is now about 235.  I am on beta blockers, blood thinners, and diuretics.   I have limited strength and energy and get winded easily...  It is all quite scary.   I could be off work for months...  Will need to go on disability for a while.  I will lose the equivalent of about $33,000/annually in gross income while on disability...    I live alone  - my parents are in Newfoundland.  My sister is in the west end of Ottawa, but has two small kids, a husband and a career of her own.  My main support broke up with me on Monday...  I am feeling a little lost...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #1297 on: November 23, 2014, 06:30:02 am »

My heart is weak and enlarged. I'm am retaining fluid.  My weight went from about 220 to 248 over 3 weeks.  It is now about 235.  I am on beta blockers, blood thinners, and diuretics.   I have limited strength and energy and get winded easily...  It is all quite scary.   I could be off work for months...  Will need to go on disability for a while.  I will lose the equivalent of about $33,000/annually in gross income while on disability...    I live alone  - my parents are in Newfoundland.  My sister is in the west end of Ottawa, but has two small kids, a husband and a career of her own.  My main support broke up with me on Monday...  I am feeling a little lost...
This should be in in the unhappy thread
Sorry about your break up

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1298 on: November 23, 2014, 08:25:19 am »
How bad is your problem anyway?  I had that last year, atrial fibrillation (I think that's what it was, racing heart rate, 130 + and way off kilter, felt very awful - that's what you had/have, right?  ???) and they got it under control, put me on some meds to relax me, then the Dr said stop taking them...then I waited 9 months for an echo-cardiogram (early June)...then I waited until yesterday when I finally called them (I called 4-5 weeks ago and they still hadn't heard anything back!) and said. "So? What's up?" to which the receptionist, who pulled my file, said "all's normal. No problems" and said if there were the Dr would call and have told me already.  Really? No actual face to face with the Dr? Nope, you don't need it. And that was that.  I assume I'm normal...again.  I guess I'm just curious if what you have is the same, but somehow worse...or maybe it's just the Dr's out there are so much better. I kept expecting to wake up one day in a pine box, not waking up.  Am I on my way out, or aren't I? She says I'm not.  Guess I should trust her medical opinion. lol

:(

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1299 on: November 23, 2014, 10:13:06 am »
I will lose the equivalent of about $33,000/annually in gross income while on disability

Have you factored in that disability income is not taxable?  Typical plans pay 2/3 of the patient's salary which often works out to the same net income thanks to the lack of deductions.