Author Topic: Discovered 2 issues with 2005 Honda Odyssey  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Discovered 2 issues with 2005 Honda Odyssey
« on: March 30, 2014, 08:32:23 pm »
Needs some ideas of what it could be:

I have a 2005 Odyssey LX with 174K. I have this whinning noise on acceleration that can be heard from the front end starting at around 60km/h. It increases in tone on acceleration and is NOT affected by engine speed, just road speed. It can not be heard once I let off the gas. Any thoughts? Transmission or wheel bearings? It is not very loud, which is why I never heard it until now.  The transmission has had its fluids changed at least twice..

The second issue lies with the cigarette lighters, there are two at the front, haven't checked the fuses yet.  The one in the back works fine.  They all have separate fuses.  So if I replace the fuses in the front, and it doesn't work, what else should I do?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Discovered 2 issues with 2005 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 08:44:51 pm »

I have a 2005 Odyssey LX with 174K. I have this whinning noise on acceleration that can be heard from the front end starting at around 60km/h. It increases in tone on acceleration and is NOT affected by engine speed, just road speed. It can not be heard once I let off the gas. Any thoughts? Transmission or wheel bearings? It is not very loud, which is why I never heard it until now.  The transmission has had its fluids changed at least twice..

The second issue lies with the cigarette lighters, there are two at the front, haven't checked the fuses yet.  The one in the back works fine.  They all have separate fuses.  So if I replace the fuses in the front, and it doesn't work, what else should I do?

It could be that something was plugged into the lighter that drew more current than the fuse would allow. In that case, replace the fuse and you're good to go. If the fuse pops with no load, you have a short somewhere. That could take some time to find. Better to leave the fuse out in that case.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:57:03 pm »

If it stops when you let off the throttle it's not wheel bearing related.

Is the noise there only under acceleration?  What about at steady speed?  My Pilot had a whine when accelerating from a stop but would disappear once 2nd gear engaged.  Was like that from the day I bought it.

Edit: read your post again. You say under acceleration but not engine speed related.  So when an up shift occurs the noise remains and doesn't change tone?  If that's the case, doesn't sound engine/tranny related.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:59:47 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:52:35 pm »

If it stops when you let off the throttle it's not wheel bearing related.

Is the noise there only under acceleration?  What about at steady speed?  My Pilot had a whine when accelerating from a stop but would disappear once 2nd gear engaged.  Was like that from the day I bought it.

Edit: read your post again. You say under acceleration but not engine speed related.  So when an up shift occurs the noise remains and doesn't change tone?  If that's the case, doesn't sound engine/tranny related.

The noise occurs ONLY under acceleration, mostly notice it on the highway, I will test it again tomorrow, on a dump run, to see if it changes tone at different speeds, if it does, I can barely notice...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:56:59 pm »
Could also be caused by wind/whistling of some sort. 

Have you posted on odyclub.com?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 11:04:04 pm »
Could also be caused by wind/whistling of some sort. 

Have you posted on odyclub.com?

Spent 30 minutes on that website going through it, many had same kind of issue with no resolution.  Others thought it might be torque converter, but after have it replaced, issue was still there...

I don't believe it is wind related, because if when going 120km/h on the Burlington Skyway, I hear it, then let off the gas, it immediately goes away....

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 11:33:30 pm »
Inboard CV joint maybe (outboard would be noisy when turning too)?  Really no clue, just trying to think what would be connected to the wheels (ie the speed related part) that may also get different inputs from the engine (ie only under throttle applications part).  If you manually downshift to get some engine braking, what happens then?
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 11:49:48 pm »
I had a whine under load in my Sienna until I did a pan drop and flush with full synthetic ATF. No more whine and it shifts so smooth now.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 04:33:09 pm »
Update, resolved the cigarette lighter plugs issue.  Replaced 10A fuse under drivers side, and 10A fuse under passengers side.  Issue resolved, new GPS now has juice...

As for the whining, or turbine noise as I like to call it.  Mechanic is going to look at it tomorrow or Wednesday.  Happens when above 60km/h, at around 1900rpm, as I speed up, its still there, when going cruising around 100-120km, it's there, but less noticeable.  Tried going side to side, still there.  Only there under acceleration, and when in gear.  Does not seem to happen in 1st or 2nd gear...Will keep you posted....

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 07:22:32 pm »
Update, resolved the cigarette lighter plugs issue.  Replaced 10A fuse under drivers side, and 10A fuse under passengers side.  Issue resolved, new GPS now has juice...

As for the whining, or turbine noise as I like to call it.  Mechanic is going to look at it tomorrow or Wednesday.  Happens when above 60km/h, at around 1900rpm, as I speed up, its still there, when going cruising around 100-120km, it's there, but less noticeable.  Tried going side to side, still there.  Only there under acceleration, and when in gear.  Does not seem to happen in 1st or 2nd gear...Will keep you posted....

Just FYI, but I think I know the noise you are referring to and I too noticed it when I first picked up the van at 100,000 km. It was like that for the entire period of my ownership. I think its just the noise it makes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 07:33:55 pm by HannibalSmith »
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 07:38:58 pm »
Discounted used cars, aka BEATERS, come will all sorts of sound enhancements.   The trick for a happy ownership experience is to embrace it.  :)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:41:43 pm »
Or turn up the stereo. 
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 08:11:07 pm »
I drove the Sienna this morning and faintly noticed the whine. I think it's been there all this time but it's gotten quieter since the flush plus I learned to tune it out.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 08:21:15 am »
Or turn up the stereo.

If the stereo is on, I don't hear it.  I just want to make sure it's nothing serious.  I would really feel dumb, if this led to something serious, and I didn't take care of it when I did, and it would have been less money.  Kind of like not replacing your pads when they wear indicators come on, and then by the time you do, you have to do pads and rotors....

Offline CRSAutomotive

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • CRS Automotive
    • View Profile
    • CRS Automotive
  • Cars: Civic Sedan 4 door
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 10:42:22 am »
It's not the point to turn on the stereo, Solstice wants to find the cause of this unwanted sound from his car.  :rofl:

Please update this thread when you find out what is causing it.
Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 10:57:13 am »
It's not the point to turn on the stereo, Solstice wants to find the cause of this unwanted sound from his car.  :rofl:

Sorry, I forgot about this post, then I got really busy.

So I was reluctant to take in to have the dealer look at it.  Because I knew some other service needed to be done.  The timing belt, water pump, tensioner, accessory belt, spark plugs, filters.  Anyway, after all that was done.  Had the dealer take it out with me, we heard it.  Grabbed a 2010 from the used car section, did the exact same thing.  Normal he said.  Took it my regular mechanic, took it out, he said the same.  So it's just the way this engine/transmission sounds, when it hits top gear.  It's not loud, but it is noticeable.  And I have gotten used to it. 

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 08:09:33 pm »

Sorry, I forgot about this post, then I got really busy.

So I was reluctant to take in to have the dealer look at it.  Because I knew some other service needed to be done.  The timing belt, water pump, tensioner, accessory belt, spark plugs, filters.  Anyway, after all that was done.  Had the dealer take it out with me, we heard it.  Grabbed a 2010 from the used car section, did the exact same thing.  Normal he said.  Took it my regular mechanic, took it out, he said the same.  So it's just the way this engine/transmission sounds, when it hits top gear.  It's not loud, but it is noticeable.  And I have gotten used to it. 

Good to hear!

Offline CRSAutomotive

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • CRS Automotive
    • View Profile
    • CRS Automotive
  • Cars: Civic Sedan 4 door
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:43 am »
Thanks for the answer. I think so too, it's just a matter of time that you will get used on it. Relax and turn your stereo up  ;D