Author Topic: Looking for new tires for the Odyssey  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
Looking for new tires for the Odyssey
« on: March 29, 2014, 09:29:53 am »
Looking for new tires for wifeys Odyssey.    Could probably get another summer out of the OE Michelin LX4's, but they are getting noisy and are not good in the wet.    We run dedicated winter tires, and I've got it narrowed down to the following two tires:

Michelin Defender or Goodyear Assurance Comfortred

Anyone have experience with either, or both?
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline odman

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for new tires for the Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:56:20 am »
Hi Loudpedal,

I'm also looking for new rubber to replace the miserable LX4s. I also run winter tires (X-Ice Xi2s) and was initially intrigued by the Defender but on TireRack (initially scored very highly but ratings have since fallen) and some of the comments in Odyclub (hydroplaning) I'm not sure.  I've heard mixed reviews about the GY Comfortred too.

The one I'm leaning towards is the Continental CrossContact LX20 - It is a crossover/SUV tire, which should stand up to the weight of the Odyssey better, and it scores highly both on Tirerack and Consumer Reports.

I won't be getting mine for another 2 weeks (mid-April), so if I do, I will post my findings.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:59:18 pm »
What size? I'd take a good look at the new Michelin Premier that Costco and Discount Tire Direct carries. It's a tire that retains much of its wet weather grip even when 50% worn, by opening new voids as the tire wears. In fact, they tested the tire 50% worn vs. their competitors' brand new tires. The tire is rated at 100,000km. The only problem is there are very limited tire sizes for minivans at the moment. Here are the bigger ones:

235/55R18
235/55R17
225/65R16

Watch the video here:
http://thesquealingtire.com/michelin-premier-all-season/

Offline odman

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:35:03 pm »
Our Odysseys take 235/65-16.

I hadn't heard of the Premier before because it doesn't show up in that size.  Similarly, some of the premium Touring tires from Michelin would have been nice but they don't come in the size needed, and I'm not keen on going with a different size.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:42:56 pm »
My dad just ordered General AltiMAX RT43 for my mom's 05' Odyssey EX from Kal Tire. $113/each I think. Good value. Its probably going to be replaced in the next 2 years anyway.  :P

Reviews from the TireRack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28T-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=365TR6AMRT43&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2005&autoModel=Odyssey&autoModClar=EX

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:30:04 pm »
My dad just ordered General AltiMAX RT43 for my mom's 05' Odyssey EX from Kal Tire. $113/each I think. Good value. Its probably going to be replaced in the next 2 years anyway.  :P

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28T-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=365TR6AMRT43&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2005&autoModel=Odyssey&autoModClar=EX

Thanks 1TSX!   I didn't consider the General as I've always thought of them as more of a fringe value brand.   That said, the reviews on Tire Rack seem very positive, and the price looks great.   Thanks for the heads up on them!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:21:17 pm »
General it's good tire so is michelin just stay away from cosco they carry 2th line tire factory line  you will never get you miles out of them

Do you mean Costco? If so, any proof to back that up?

Offline Swapper

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • Mobile Tire Sales & Services
    • View Profile
    • Mobile Tire Swappers, Tire Sales & Service
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 04:31:47 pm »
Hi Loudpedal,

I'm also looking for new rubber to replace the miserable LX4s. I also run winter tires (X-Ice Xi2s) and was initially intrigued by the Defender but on TireRack (initially scored very highly but ratings have since fallen) and some of the comments in Odyclub (hydroplaning) I'm not sure.  I've heard mixed reviews about the GY Comfortred too.

The one I'm leaning towards is the Continental CrossContact LX20 - It is a crossover/SUV tire, which should stand up to the weight of the Odyssey better, and it scores highly both on Tirerack and Consumer Reports.

I won't be getting mine for another 2 weeks (mid-April), so if I do, I will post my findings.

The Continental CrossContact LX20 is an excellent tire!  We have put this tire on a number of vehicles with great reviews.

Sorry, Swapper. The No Advertising rule applies here.  Please keep things neutral.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:54:27 pm by Brigitte »
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"We bring our tire shop, Right to YOUR Driveway!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline odman

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 09:14:53 pm »
Update to my earlier post and Swapper's comments -- I just had the Continentals installed on my Odyssey and I'm very impressed. They are quieter and smoother riding than the OE Michelins, yet still offer very secure handling.

In the past week in the GTA we had a deluge of rain, followed by slushy snow, and the LX20s cut through everything. They have deep treads and centre channels to divert water, so wet traction is good. I purposely pushed the van fairly hard in left/right turns and it never broke traction. I've also had a few highway runs at high speeds and they've been confident/secure.

Time will tell how they perform in terms of treadwear, but so far I'm very pleased with them and would recommend them to others.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 11:09:16 pm »

Thanks 1TSX!   I didn't consider the General as I've always thought of them as more of a fringe value brand.   That said, the reviews on Tire Rack seem very positive, and the price looks great.   Thanks for the heads up on them!

I had the General Altimax RT43's installed on my wifes '08 Odyssey a few weeks back.   So far we're very pleased with them.   They are a huge improvement in road noise over the OE LX4's and they deliver a nice smooth ride--and have nice tread design to boot.   As far as handling goes, virtually no difference to the LX4's and my wife has said that they have good wet grip.    They won't be used in the winter, as we run Michelin X Ice 2's.    Obviously, I can't comment on wear yet. 

Other tires in the running were the Michelin Defenders, and GY Comfortred Tourings.     From a cost point of view, a great tire for the money.   Thanks again 1TSX!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 11:46:57 pm »
No problem! Where did you get them?

They're still on order for my dad...  ??? He says its been 3 weeks now.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 12:12:54 am »

Weird... Never had to wait for tires...And I am kinda picky. 

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 04:17:21 pm »

Weird... Never had to wait for tires...And I am kinda picky.

I called my local Honda dealership and they had them in stock!?!   Pretty surprising.     

Cost was $121/ea., plus $59.99 for install/balance, + tire stewardship.   

A fantastic tire for the money!   Oh yeah, nice looking sidewall graphics/lettering as well.   In all respects I'd consider them a Tier 1 tire, and not a discount value brand as I did in the past.       

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 11:19:57 pm »
A fantastic tire for the money!   Oh yeah, nice looking sidewall graphics/lettering as well.   In all respects I'd consider them a Tier 1 tire, and not a discount value brand as I did in the past.       

General is made by Continental. Conti is definitely a global leader in tires, just without the reputation that Michelin or Bridgestone have. Generals are great choices for value-minded consumers who just want a good tire - great choice!