Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
Re: Review: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:18:39 pm »
Great review, I am considering either one of these or the new a3 for my next vehicle next year.  Can't wait to see some pics and hear more about the vehicle.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 06:05:12 pm »
Nice review and congrats on the car. :cheers:

Pics in Show and Shine please :P
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 06:11:31 pm »
Thanks for the review!  Good job and congrats on the car!  :thumbup:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:12:12 pm »
:thumbup: Nice review....will be checking back for some pictures.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 10:06:43 am »
And that day was Saturday.

My wife and I went out for supper and on the drive home, I put the transmission into (S)port mode and gave it a good run.

OOoohhh mama, that's a fast little car. I quite easily hit 190kph as I passed a slower moving minivan on the highway. Just put the foot down and pass, and gone.

Didn't hurt fuel efficiency much, I got 7.6 on that tank. (It was 7.3 before Saturday according to the display).

While it's all cool and such, I would be careful about posting speeds numbers like that. Then again, you are not in Ontario - enjoy your freedom!  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:40:41 pm »
I see a few comparos have been critical of the CLA for having a harsh ride (non-AMG models). What's your take on the ride comfort ClarkL?

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 04:39:40 pm »
Man 6.2 average sounds great compared to my 10.0 lifetime. Surprised by your interface problem, I've found the newer generation in my current car to be very good and dramatically better then the previous system in my '09. I have wondered how Mercedes interface will work with successive generations of idevice operating systems.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 01:01:14 am »
Rotten run-flat tires.  Do.  Not.  Want.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 06:04:03 am »
What he said.   Having just had some I don't think I want any more.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 12:05:15 am »
Strange thing with the Merc, kind of funny to me too as it falls right into line with what I tell my customers to do first when a problem occurs on their desktop or laptop systems.

My passenger seat, the seat back would not adjust, all other movements were fine.
My media interface for iPOD did not work, I tested it but never got any connection.

In both cases the fix was to essentially reboot the computer.

One area of concern for me is that I've found that the trunk hatch liner is held on with plastic rivet/screws, but these seem to be too weak of material  or of a slightly poor design to resist the the force applied when the trunk is closed hard, so I've found a few that have popped out, one of which I was able to reinsert and have had no problem with, the other just keeps jumping out. Once removed/used, being plastic they're not reusable well like a metal screw might be.

One thing that really pleased me was the other day before leaving for Edmonton I was packing the car and it had rained the night before and a good amount of water was on the top of the trunk. When I opened the trunk and saw that water go sluicing over the trunk and onto the back window I thought, "Dammit that's all going into the trunk!" Only to see it cleverly diverted around the trunk and down and out behind the vehicle.

Fuel efficiency on the trip to and from Edmonton was very pleasing. Nice and comfortable for cruising for hours on end, only caveat being those run flats being noisy on the rougher road surfaces.

How rough is the suspension in pothole covered streets? Are the bumps muted?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:39 am »
Strange thing with the Merc, kind of funny to me too as it falls right into line with what I tell my customers to do first when a problem occurs on their desktop or laptop systems.

My passenger seat, the seat back would not adjust, all other movements were fine.
My media interface for iPOD did not work, I tested it but never got any connection.

In both cases the fix was to essentially reboot the computer.

One area of concern for me is that I've found that the trunk hatch liner is held on with plastic rivet/screws, but these seem to be too weak of material  or of a slightly poor design to resist the the force applied when the trunk is closed hard, so I've found a few that have popped out, one of which I was able to reinsert and have had no problem with, the other just keeps jumping out. Once removed/used, being plastic they're not reusable well like a metal screw might be.

One thing that really pleased me was the other day before leaving for Edmonton I was packing the car and it had rained the night before and a good amount of water was on the top of the trunk. When I opened the trunk and saw that water go sluicing over the trunk and onto the back window I thought, "Dammit that's all going into the trunk!" Only to see it cleverly diverted around the trunk and down and out behind the vehicle.

Fuel efficiency on the trip to and from Edmonton was very pleasing. Nice and comfortable for cruising for hours on end, only caveat being those run flats being noisy on the rougher road surfaces.

How rough is the suspension in pothole covered streets? Are the bumps muted?

Well obviously you have to drive slower down a rough street, the only experience that would be really rough would be in February after buying the vehicle I took it down a residential street in Saskatoon. Which if you lived here you would know means that I took it down a street that hadn't seen a clearing of snow ever. Rutted, bumpy, icy, the CLA was fine over that road as I was only going about 20kph.

I've gone over a few small pot holes at speed to see how it went, didn't find it too bad, but you should expect a ride closer to a sports car than a luxury car, as indicated by the fact that the CLA only comes with sport seats or AMG sports seats. It handles very well mind you, good feel for the road.

Still hate those run flats, wish I had a set of regular tires to test for a few hours to see if it would be worth it to chuck the factory tires and get new ones in their place.
Interesting...I probably know what you are talking about, considering I live in Winnipeg - the streets are actually better in winter, when ice covers the potholes!
I wish MB would soften up the suspension a bit...

Northernridge

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 04:36:53 pm »
^^Bummer.

The Berlin taxi remains vault solid and drum tight after 30k. I think that as Mercedes and others offer new cars at lower prices, something has to give.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 04:38:49 pm »
Dammit, dammit, FGC for the loss. :(

I started the car today, heard what sounds like a kid riding a bicycle with a hockey card stuck in the spokes. Turned up the fan to see if that was the noise, loud noise followed by the sound of something breaking.

The car is also exhibiting a lot of panel noise now. Not as much as the 17 year old VW Beetle, but not what I'd expect from a brand new automobile.

That sucks buddy.....  :(
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 12:39:02 pm »
So it's not a FGC after all.

It's a FGM.

F'ing G'damn Mouse!

A mouse crawled up into the car and started making a nest in my dash.

Irony!

We gave away to family all but one cat this summer.

I really need to finish that damn garage, and must remember to never ever DIY such a large project again.

Shoulda bought a Lexus ;D

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 01:03:55 pm »
So it's not a FGC after all.

It's a FGM.

F'ing G'damn Mouse!

A mouse crawled up into the car and started making a nest in my dash.

Irony!

We gave away to family all but one cat this summer.

I really need to finish that damn garage, and must remember to never ever DIY such a large project again.

Shoulda bought a Lexus ;D

Or a Kia, maybe the gerbils would have stopped the mouse.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!  The moral of the story - you always need to keep at least a couple of cats in your place! ;)

I had mice build a nest around the battery of the Spec V, the first year I had the car.  They sure do find their way into anything...