Author Topic: Winter Tire Review: Sailun Ice Blazer WSL2  (Read 32424 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Winter Tire Review: Sailun Ice Blazer WSL2
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 04:24:32 pm »
Last winter I bought Maxtrek/Sonny M7's they were very good in snow, slush but were horrible on any form of ice.
I notice now from where I bought the tire that brand is gone, now it's called Antares.
Sell what ever they can under a name till the quality rep catches up?
 I don't trust these Chinese owned companies.

https://www.tiredirect.ca/product.aspx?productid=4043&idattribute=anw-200
hmmm...Antares...likely not the best name to inspire confidence either.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ0SgAU9LXI
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 09:50:45 pm »
I first bought a set of these when I had my Mazda3.  I liked them enough to get them for my wife's focus.  I sold the Mazda3 set to a colleague when I bought my Mustang, he drives 150 Kms a day and had no issues.  He kept them on until May, about 2 weeks after winter ended this year.  I put them on my Mustang and got through all the Polar Votexes without problems.  The biggest challenge was the uphill drive thru at Timmies when it got icy.

My impression is that they are much better in winter conditions than all seasons but probably a step below the likes of Blizzaks.  In the rain or dry conditions, I found them to be excellent.  There was no need to pussyfoot around corners and ramps.  My wife liked the ride better with her snows but did not want to be one of those people who keep them on year-round.  Also, there was none that spooky squirmy feeling that you get with some snows.

I did notice that they are undersized.  They look skinnier than my OEM BFGs on my Mustang.  Also, my GPS showed 97 Km/h at 100 on the speedo whereas my BFGs are bang on.  They are more like 215/60/17 than 225/60/17 that are supposed to be.

I bought used set of Bullitt rims that came with Goodyear Ultragrips which have a lot more tread than I was expecting.  I am going to try them out and see how they compare.  They are a different size at 235/55/17.  I may report back a comparison.  I am hoping they don't get tested as much as the Sailuns did last winter.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 10:06:26 pm »
^^How much are a set of these brand new?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 12:24:26 am »

The Sailuns were $120 each last year for the Mustang, where I bought them.  Looks to be same this year.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2014, 08:37:39 pm »

The Sailuns were $120 each last year for the Mustang, where I bought them.  Looks to be same this year.
i bought my WS70 Blizzaks from Costco for about the same price.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2014, 08:42:32 pm »
^^That's my issue.  These tires aren't "wow, what a deal" cheaper than the top shelf stuff.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 09:48:43 pm »
as a general rule my food, tires and condoms will never be "Made in China".

Good luck with that :)

http://www.airbus.com/company/worldwide-presence/airbus-in-china/
Airbus not only values its relationship with airlines in China, it also appreciates the enormous potential offered by Chinese industry. Currently, over half the Airbus fleet in service worldwide has parts produced by Chinese companies with whom Airbus already enjoys strong relations. The total value of Airbus and the Chinese aviation industry’s cooperation reached $295 million in 2012 and is expected to be near $500 million in 2015.
The industrial ties in China include: the Chengdu Aircraft Corporation, which supplies the A320’s rear passenger door and parts of its nose section; the Shenyang Aircraft Corporation, producing and assembling the A320’s emergency exit doors, and manufacturing fixed leading edges, wing interspar ribs, cargo doors and skin plates, as well as A330/A340 cargo doors.
In addition, the Xi’an Aircraft Company manufactures electronic bay doors for the A320 and A330/A340 Families, as well as the fixed trailing edges on wings for the A320 Family and the brake blades and medium air ducts for the A330/A340 Family; the Hong Yuan Aviation Forging & Casting (HYFC) supplies titanium forged parts used in mounting powerplants on wings; and the Shanghai Aircraft Manufacturing Factory produces A320 Family aircraft cargo door frames.

That's why I stick with Boeing for all my aircraft purchases.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Winter Tire Review: Sailun Ice Blazer WSL2
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2014, 09:49:12 pm »
^^That's my issue.  These tires aren't "wow, what a deal" cheaper than the top shelf stuff.
This.  I bought Blizzak WS80s for the van in the fall.  Mounted, balanced, all in price was $850.  I looked at a cheaper tire and I was maybe saving $75 overall.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2014, 04:08:24 pm »
This.  I bought Blizzak WS80s for the van in the fall.  Mounted, balanced, all in price was $850.  I looked at a cheaper tire and I was maybe saving $75 overall.
yup...the big retailers (like Costco for example) can offer you the premium stuff for a similar price to what many independent shops will sell other tires for...not that the other tires aren't any good, but if they end up being comparable in price, like Windsor Salt says, just "get the good one".

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2014, 05:20:40 pm »
Had a buddy write me asking my opinion as he is looking for new winter tires. A shop gave him a quote of $190 PER TIRE for some Hercules Avalanche X-treme. I just started laughing and told him, don't bother as you can get top tier tires for the same price. Can't believe it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2014, 06:25:53 pm »
Had a buddy write me asking my opinion as he is looking for new winter tires. A shop gave him a quote of $190 PER TIRE for some Hercules Avalanche X-treme. I just started laughing and told him, don't bother as you can get top tier tires for the same price. Can't believe it.

HOLY CRAP!! My dad paid I think about 10 bucks more for some Goodyear Ultra Grips.....thats insane.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2014, 06:44:52 pm »

HOLY CRAP!! My dad paid I think about 10 bucks more for some Goodyear Ultra Grips.....thats insane.
Depends on the vehicle though.. 19 or 20" tires in weird sizes can cost $$$$ even for winters. Thars why i went down from a 19 to 17 on the Mustang (17 barely clears the caliper).

Yes that is true. Size is 235/65/17 which means you can get WS80's at Costco for ONLY $173 each (inc install)

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2014, 08:17:13 pm »

Actually the difference is $240 for a set when you include taxes.  Also, as good as Blizzaks may be, Bridgestone hold the distinction of being the worst tires I ever owned.  The RE92s that came with my Protege were absolutely horrid tires.  I don't hold grudges against people but I tend to with manufacturers which may be a bit irrational.

From a price/ performance perspective, I have no regrets so far, they have done their job perfectly.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Winter Tire Review: Sailun Ice Blazer WSL2
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2014, 08:28:20 pm »

Depends on the vehicle though.. 19 or 20" tires in weird sizes can cost $$$$ even for winters. Thars why i went down from a 19 to 17 on the Mustang (17 barely clears the caliper).

Yes that is true. Size is 235/65/17 which means you can get WS80's at Costco for ONLY $173 each (inc install)

My dad went down to the 265/70 17 on steel rims. The stock 20s would have been expensive.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2014, 08:40:53 pm »

My dad went down to the 265/70 17 on steel rims. The stock 20s would have been expensive.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

For second there, I thought you were talking Mustang sizes.  Having said that 235/65/17 is quite tall for a Stang.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2014, 08:50:23 pm »

Actually the difference is $240 for a set when you include taxes. Also, as good as Blizzaks may be, Bridgestone hold the distinction of being the worst tires I ever owned.  The RE92s that came with my Protege were absolutely horrid tires.  I don't hold grudges against people but I tend to with manufacturers which may be a bit irrational.

From a price/ performance perspective, I have no regrets so far, they have done their job perfectly.

Yeah, that's pretty irrational. There isn't a company out there that doesn't make cheap and horrible tires for the OE market.

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2014, 09:07:16 pm »

Actually the difference is $240 for a set when you include taxes. Also, as good as Blizzaks may be, Bridgestone hold the distinction of being the worst tires I ever owned.  The RE92s that came with my Protege were absolutely horrid tires.  I don't hold grudges against people but I tend to with manufacturers which may be a bit irrational.

Yeah, that's pretty irrational. There isn't a company out there that doesn't make cheap and horrible tires for the OE market.

They should offer their best tire for OEMs to attract repeat customers.  I know I will strongly consider getting the same tire on my Mustang as I am really impressed with them.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2014, 09:11:07 pm »

They should offer their best tire for OEMs to attract repeat customers.  I know I will strongly consider getting the same tire on my Mustang as I am really impressed with them.

Thats what Im saying. Only vehicle Ive ever seen with tires that I would buy again are the Wrangler Rubicons BF Mud TAs. Otherwise OEM tires are usually horrid.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2014, 09:32:17 pm »

Thats what Im saying. Only vehicle Ive ever seen with tires that I would buy again are the Wrangler Rubicons BF Mud TAs. Otherwise OEM tires are usually horrid.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I know my Jeep buddy is pretty discerning, so it is a good thing they put the right tires on the Rubicon.  At the other end the of the scale we have the BRZ and FRS which have  Prius tires on them.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2014, 09:35:17 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I know my Jeep buddy is pretty discerning, so it is a good thing they put the right tires on the Rubicon.  At the other end the of the scale we have the BRZ and FRS which have  Prius tires on them.

My buddy with the FR-S loves it as the local Toyobaru club is a infinit source of cheap drift practice tires. Everyone pulls them off asap and wants them out of the garage.

Sent from my Galaxy S3