Author Topic: Autos.ca summer Calabogie Track & Meet  (Read 19147 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Autos.ca summer Calabogie Track & Meet
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2014, 11:41:11 pm »
Sorry to interrupt this Blackberry love-in, but wanted to update you on the prospects of an Autos.ca Calabogie track day.

June 13th has been ruled out (I'm off on an event), and we are awaiting word from a manufacturer for the centrepiece of our track day, and then will post here the potential day of reckoning.
Not to sound snippy, but given that this was publicized/floated by Julie, wing, normancw  and ermmm, yourself long ago (January, in fact) the fact that the event suddenly doesn't mesh with your schedule doesn't work for me.  Is it too much to ask autos.ca to move around *their* collective schedule rather than the other way around?  We've been trying to get people together for a long time, but we keep getting flung around the centre of your universe.  (No, I don't mean Toronto, but maybe there's a bit of truth there) 

This could possibly be something that helps differentiate this site from the hordes.  A little bit of vision would be appreciated.  Please tell me you're not dumping us because of another <shudder> road test or review?  There are a few of those around the site if you haven't noticed.  ::)

My apologies - I thought we were still in the drumming up general interest and figuring out the best date stages - floating, as you say - several dates were suggested in this thread, and several others have now been suggested to the manufacturer whose car I'm trying to get so I can bring it up for James to evaluate on track... A Corvette, which is not a regular press fleet car, and can only be obtained by special request with a special mission. So my vision is entirely blinded by a bright yellow Corvette that I see racing around Calabogie in my day dreams.

June 13th I will be away on a unique event with Mazda covering an unknown car on an unknown route on a rally-type drive in some part of the United States, with my wife. Unfortunately, Mazda will not be able to reschedule, nor would my wife appreciate my cancellation - it is a rare and treasured opportunity for us to participate in an event like that together, so you could say I'm dumping you for my wife... You'll just have to live with that.  ;D

Another prime reason for my mission to Calabogie is that I've never met James in person. It's totally a coincidence that I'm setting this up only after he bought a Radical...  :drive2:

Again I apologize that I cannot even now make a firm commitment - currently we've requested the Vette for June 6 (evening), July 11 or August 30th, but if we get offered some other crappy day, we will take the Vette and drive it up to Ottawa even if it's just James (and his Radical) there to meet me... no matter what date we pick, it won't work for some, but I genuinely hope you will come out if the dates do work for you.

I guess it's not the 25th anniversary MX-5 in a rally type drive... Wonder what vehicle?  CX-5 has been reviewed enough, nothing has really changed...Same with CX-9?

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2014, 06:27:13 pm »
I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but, finally, I couldn't get the day off.

I very much want to come up to Calabogie, but that date unfortunately won't work for me.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2014, 06:34:39 pm »
So June 6th?  Need to wait to hear back from GM.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2014, 10:46:51 pm »

I guess it's not the 25th anniversary MX-5 in a rally type drive... Wonder what vehicle?  CX-5 has been reviewed enough, nothing has really changed...Same with CX-9?

it's more a navigational checkpoint rally, so MX-5 would work, but I suspect it could just as easily be the 3 and 6. last year they did the CX-5 and CX-9 and included some rugged terrain to challenge the AWD capability (http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/feature-2013-mazda-cx-5-cx-9-adventure-rally/), but I have a feeling this time might be either more about curvy zoom-zoom driver's roads - fingers crossed for PCH and California Canyon carving, or perhaps tail of the dragon...

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2014, 11:41:53 am »
So I'll be there Friday... oh and Thursday too.  Anyone else?

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2014, 06:59:49 am »
I'll be there somewhere between 1 and 1:30.  Will have umbrella!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2014, 08:22:13 am »
As per the idiots at the weather network, it will only rain 1mm for a couple of hours this morning, everything should be dry by lunch....

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2014, 08:55:21 am »
Hopefully it is pouring buckets now.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2014, 09:24:08 am »
I love using the radar map on the weather network
Should be fine by 10:30 am in Calabogie

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2014, 09:37:45 am »
It's Quattro weather!

btw, someone help me.  My karma is out of balance!

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2014, 04:45:47 pm »
It's Quattro weather!

Balanced... ;D

How was today, besides very wet? Had to have my wife at the airport for noon, then it was just me and the little guy for the afternoon. I would haved liked to show up today.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2014, 06:47:19 pm »
Was wet until about 11, super hot and dry, got some really quick laps in in the afternoon then we got hammered again.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2014, 08:12:26 pm »
It's Quattro weather!

Balanced... ;D

How was today, besides very wet? Had to have my wife at the airport for noon, then it was just me and the little guy for the afternoon. I would haved liked to show up today.
Thanks for the carma balancing!  Whew.

I wasn't registered but I showed up in the afternoon to support my brother and the organizer let me drive my brother (after signing the waiver, etc.)  around for some sizzling laps in his Cayman.  He was a bit nonplussed at the 183 km/h at the end of Rocky Road and the +1.1 G Left and +1.2 G's Right we pulled.  Actually, he wasn't nonplussed at all, but I was babying it.  Very nice car!  I want.

We just beat the rain that Wing talked about.  It was beautifully sunny to start the afternoon...just about the time I turned up but I recognize that there's no correlation.  Then BAM! the heavens opened up at 4:11 ish, just when I was completing lap 3 in my brother's car.  And he was wondering why I was in such a hurry to get into his car.  He thought it was my eagerness to stroke his car's dash, but it was the wall of black clouds to the west.