Author Topic: Comparison Test: Diesel Luxury Sedans  (Read 11441 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Comparison Test: Diesel Luxury Sedans
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 02:45:43 pm »
Mercedes here. If I'm going to go diesel, I'm looking for the most efficiency I can get.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 02:49:45 pm »
Mercedes here. If I'm going to go diesel, I'm looking for the most efficiency I can get.

Not me, MOAR POOOOWWWAAAHHH  ;D

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 03:04:15 pm »
Agreed. I drove a 2013 A6 recently (not the diesel) and didn't love the interior. The menus and other graphics on the MMI system look very dated, too, but perhaps those were updated for 2014. Shame we don't get wagon versions of any of these, even though all are available in Europe.

"The exquisite design, detailing and craftsmanship elevate the A6 to another plane."

I must be missing something, somehow; went back and studied the interior shots and I can't see what you guys see. The A6 looks by far the least pleasant interior, to my eyes anyway. The steering wheel alone looks boring and uncentred (vertically), not that that is a big deal, but the overall look just seems black and depressing. Maybe it's just pictures, have to check in the flesh. Good thing the auto show is up soon.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 04:14:38 pm »
Kudos to Mercedes for the aggressive pricing!  I think they will sell as many as they can bring over.  It would be really interesting to see this same option package available in the wagon. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 05:57:27 pm »
Mercedes has a long history of very aggressive diesel pricing.  It was often the lowest priced model in the line.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 08:13:50 pm »
i'd take the MB, add the HK sound system and sat radio for $1475...i'd also take the Premium package  and would consider the Sport package (would need to see the differences in person)...assuming i chose both, that's another $4k...so $5500 in options to the base price of $57,800 for a total of $63,300...i think that set up would likely please most and still be modestly priced compared to the BMW and Audi.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 09:11:47 pm »

All three reviewers might have selected the Benz as the winner, but for my money I'd go with the GS350 AWD.  Yeah, you definitely lose some efficiency with the gas V6, but it's more than offset by the 10 - 20 grand upfront savings.  Not to mention no FGC worries!! ;D

It's interesting you bring up the beloved Lexus.  I am desperate to pit our winning Benz (or indeed any of these three magnificent diesels) against the GS450h for a different perspective on how to handle the efficiency card.  Unfortunately Lexus has no GS450h in the fleet now, nor will they be putting on in and have told me they're unable to secure me one at all even for a day's comparison test.  So… we can only speculate now how it would've all come together. 

Regarding the discussion around the Audi's interior -- it definitely needs to be experienced to be fully appreciated.  The detailing in the wood trim alone is worth studying for a moment or two.

That said, as cool and interesting as the Audi's interior is (and I don't disagree with Peter's suggestion that it belongs in a gallery of design), the Bimmer's deep brown leather and traditional glossy wood trim felt more luxurious to me.  And in case you didn't get it from both Peter and I yet, those seats… oh-my-gawd those seats in the BMW are like being coddled by a divine hand. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »
The GS450h would certainly provide an interesting comparison, but its a bit of a different animal. A lot more overall power but also a lot more mass to lug around and compromises in terms of the trunk.

From a purely practical standpoint I would go with the E250 here. Lots of grunt if not a lot of power, excellent efficiency, Benz-ness, no compromises in terms of passenger nor cargo space, and cheapest by a good margin.

I'd imagine if the MB had an extra few hundred cc of displacement and say 30 more HP it would be spectacular instead of just rationally great.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 09:42:00 pm »
Torque is awesome!!  Our diesel was down on power compared to the gasser, but amazing to drive thanks to the huge torque.

Offline jipsi

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • jipsi
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 08:12:27 pm »
Many years ago in a far away land I was working on a somewhat popular TV show. Every 2nd week we shot on this old mans property which consisted of 100's of acres of varying topography and several buildings, most abandoned. This property was used by many productions over the years because of its ease of use and familiarity for those of us in production. Basically we could do anything without the need of permits because we were shooting on private property. It was such a vast property that several productions could shoot simultaneously without interfering with one another. If you've read this far, rest assured I'm getting to the point. One weekend we ended up shooting late so asked the property owner if we could store some equipment there for the weekend to save ourselves the hassle and costs of transporting our unit/equipment to base and back over a 48 hr. time period. He said sure, use one of the outbuildings/barns. Transport, which are Teamsters found a building at the back of the property which appeared to be abandoned but locked. The old timer told us to smash the lock and use as we please, we did but found not an empty building but rather one full of cars (7 to be exact) that hadn't been used in years. We told him there were cars in there, he said he forgot about them but that we were welcome to take them off his hands. Nevertheless, a long story somewhat shorter, one of those cars became my entry into MB ownership. I bought a 1973 240d for $500, the thing was built like a literal tank. This was in '95, the car had approx. 75,000 miles not kms on it. Another $1,500 or so and I had a super beige tank that clanked and clattered everywhere I went for a good solid 100,000 miles over 8 years or so without a problem. There's a reason why the E-class became known as the 'Berlin Taxi'. I've since had the (mis)pleasure of driving a 2005 E320cdi, great engine, terrible interior. This new E250 is a great value for what it is, a solid performer in the mid luxury class. I personally don't understand the point of the huge diesel engines in luxury sedans, it seems counterproductive and somewhat superfluous. In a diesel I want a efficiency with acceptable power, if I wanted bragging power I'd buy a V8 or some turbo/super charged thing.

PS: a great review, I appreciate the three separate criticisms and not just the fawning over metal with four wheels...

Locations: Loblaws on Jarvis and EverGreen Brickworks... both with great backdrops... nice choice gang :) 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 08:17:09 pm »

All three reviewers might have selected the Benz as the winner, but for my money I'd go with the GS350 AWD.  Yeah, you definitely lose some efficiency with the gas V6, but it's more than offset by the 10 - 20 grand upfront savings.  Not to mention no FGC worries!! ;D

It's interesting you bring up the beloved Lexus.  I am desperate to pit our winning Benz (or indeed any of these three magnificent diesels) against the GS450h for a different perspective on how to handle the efficiency card.  Unfortunately Lexus has no GS450h in the fleet now, nor will they be putting on in and have told me they're unable to secure me one at all even for a day's comparison test.  So… we can only speculate now how it would've all come together. 

Regarding the discussion around the Audi's interior -- it definitely needs to be experienced to be fully appreciated.  The detailing in the wood trim alone is worth studying for a moment or two.

That said, as cool and interesting as the Audi's interior is (and I don't disagree with Peter's suggestion that it belongs in a gallery of design), the Bimmer's deep brown leather and traditional glossy wood trim felt more luxurious to me.  And in case you didn't get it from both Peter and I yet, those seats… oh-my-gawd those seats in the BMW are like being coddled by a divine hand.

It's a shame we don't get the Lexus GS450h F-Sport here.   :'(
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 11:13:08 pm »
:popcorn:

oooh, is this going to be like the Mirage thread???

I'm splitting this off guys, so you can get a room all to yourselves... ;D

Nah...the discussion is over.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 09:23:56 am »
Many years ago in a far away land ...
PS: a great review, I appreciate the three separate criticisms and not just the fawning over metal with four wheels...

Locations: Loblaws on Jarvis and EverGreen Brickworks... both with great backdrops... nice choice gang :)

Great story! In part enjoyed it because I spent time in my uncle's early '70s 240d. What a tank. He bought it at about 8 yrs old, drove it for 5 years and sold it for more than he paid for it because it was still in excellent shape. The small diesel suited the car perfectly, it wasn't a rocket. It was a Mercedes.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 09:50:40 am »
This new E250 is a great value for what it is, a solid performer in the mid luxury class. I personally don't understand the point of the huge diesel engines in luxury sedans, it seems counterproductive and somewhat superfluous. In a diesel I want a efficiency with acceptable power, if I wanted bragging power I'd buy a V8 or some turbo/super charged thing.

I agree that the E250 seems like a great value but larger diesel motors aren't really counterproductive. Rather, they provide the best of both worlds: good performance and good fuel economy. If diesels become more popular here I wouldn't be too surprised if all three of these sedans are eventually available with both four and six cylinder diesels.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 02:37:44 pm »
Someone on MB World did a test of the E250 at various speeds. There is obviously some funkiness (some of the #s show better with AC on than with AC off...) but overall, damn impressive.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 02:55:38 pm »
Someone on MB World did a test of the E250 at various speeds. There is obviously some funkiness (some of the #s show better with AC on than with AC off...) but overall, damn impressive.

That's really interesting...

I've always understood windows to be better <60 KM/h, not 60 MPH!  :'( but I like A/C better than windows unless I'm in the mountains!