Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 BMW 428i xDrive  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +78/-317
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 BMW 428i xDrive
« on: December 10, 2013, 06:29:07 am »

Jeff Wilson spends a week with BMW's 428i to see if the sleek coupe has earned its larger number than the 3 Series coupe it replaces.

Read More...

Offline Boff

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-4
  • Swervedriver
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 BMW 428i xDrive
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:09:00 am »
"confounded push-for-downshift; pull-for-upshift system in BMWs is frustrating to work with..."

Confounding and frustrating for you, perhaps, but that's the way IndyCars did it before moving to paddle shifters, and it's also the right way. It's the right way because you're shifting in the same direction as the accelerative and decelerative forces on the car.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +183/-184
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 B250 2013 Fit
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:26:39 am »
"confounded push-for-downshift; pull-for-upshift system in BMWs is frustrating to work with..."

Confounding and frustrating for you, perhaps, but that's the way IndyCars did it before moving to paddle shifters, and it's also the right way. It's the right way because you're shifting in the same direction as the accelerative and decelerative forces on the car.
Yes.  The GTI was also the wrong way, fwd for up back for down.    I wondered if it could be changed to the right ( =BMW) way.
“Everybody is clever nowadays. You can’t go anywhere without meeting clever people. The thing has become an absolute public nuisance. I wish to goodness we had a few fools left.”
Oscar Wilde (The Importance of being Earnest)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +132/-133
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 GTI+
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 07:49:23 am »

Yes.  The GTI was also the wrong way, fwd for up back for down.    I wondered if it could be changed to the right ( =BMW) way.

As long as there are paddle shifters I don't care which way the stick is setup. But BMW did do it right, Mazda also does it right.

Offline NoTo

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-181
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Subaru Forester XT Limited; 2010 Toyota 'rolla CE; 2006 Lexus RX400h
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 08:41:37 am »
So $4,100 for AWD...anyone else crying foul?  Total price of $58,400  before Freight/PDI.

Hmmm....Audi S4 Technik S-Tronic Quattro is $54,600.  Wait, nah, why get an S4 with a blown V6 - it has 2 too many doors and 87 horsepower too many.  Silly me.

The S5 coupe is $57,500 with the autobox...wait, so if you stick with the manual, what a steal the Audis are!

Offline OliverD

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-71
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:49:10 am »
So $4,100 for AWD...anyone else crying foul?  Total price of $58,400  before Freight/PDI.

Hmmm....Audi S4 Technik S-Tronic Quattro is $54,600.  Wait, nah, why get an S4 with a blown V6 - it has 2 too many doors and 87 horsepower too many.  Silly me.

Keep in mind that the $4100 premium also includes a mandatory automatic transmission (no manual on the AWD 428i).

As for your Audi comparison, a better comparison would be an A5 2.0T Technik Tiptronic which is $51,800 (add $800 for metallic paint).

If I were buying this car I would go for the manual RWD 428i myself.

Offline lebowski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +16/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5mt
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 09:59:07 am »
Nice review. 2 things:

1) It's really interesting to read there's such a negligible fuel economy savings when choosing the x28i over the x35i - would not have thought they were so close. Seems like if you can afford the turbo-6, it's the one to have

2) And speaking of other options, ~$60k out the door, that's used 997.2 C4S money. One has to *really* want a 4-cyl BMW - smooth though I'm sure it is - to ignore that.  ::)

Offline evil_twin

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Subaru WRX, 2008 BMW 535xi Touring
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 10:04:34 am »
Nice review. 2 things:

1) It's really interesting to read there's such a negligible fuel economy savings when choosing the x28i over the x35i - would not have thought they were so close. Seems like if you can afford the turbo-6, it's the one to have

2) And speaking of other options, ~$60k out the door, that's used 997.2 C4S money. One has to *really* want a 4-cyl BMW - smooth though I'm sure it is - to ignore that.  ::)

Buying a used Porsche vs a brand-new, full factory warranty BMW is a complete apples to oranges comparison.   Very different buyer who's willing to risk the potential maintenance costs on that used 997.

Not saying i'd spend my $60k on this 428, but a more fitting comparison is the aforementioned A5.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +108/-467
    • View Profile
    • Descending TV
  • Cars: 2006 Suzuki SV650S, 2008 BMW 335i, 2010 Mazda6 GT
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:07:15 am »

Fair enough… but it's also confounding because MOST of the rest of the industry goes the other way.  Drive enough cars frequently set up the "other" way that when someone breaks with convention, it requires more thought than should be necessary to make a simple change of gear.  Maybe if BMW and Mazda have it right, they should convince everyone else to change.   

I suppose it's no more wrong than driving on the wrong (aka British) side of the road.    ;)

Offline lebowski

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 10:14:27 am »

Buying a used Porsche vs a brand-new, full factory warranty BMW is a complete apples to oranges comparison.   Very different buyer who's willing to risk the potential maintenance costs on that used 997.

Not saying i'd spend my $60k on this 428, but a more fitting comparison is the aforementioned A5.

You're no doubt right the A5 is a closer, apples/apples comparison, but those late-model 997's are considered pretty reliable. Factor in the stronger resale (with the worst of their depreciation curve having passed), while the BMW's is just beginning, I don't see how much worse off one would be.

Offline evil_twin

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Subaru WRX, 2008 BMW 535xi Touring
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 10:23:24 am »

You're no doubt right the A5 is a closer, apples/apples comparison, but those late-model 997's are considered pretty reliable. Factor in the stronger resale (with the worst of their depreciation curve having passed), while the BMW's is just beginning, I don't see how much worse off one would be.

Fair enough, but still...  If you petitioned every buyer walking into a BMW dealership with intentions of buying/leasing a 428xi as their daily driver (which I'd assume 99.9% of these would be) with an alternative of dropping $60k on a used 997, I'd guess just about 0 would take you up on the offer.   Just a totally different "peace of mind" purchase choice.

You're correct that given depreciation curves and probable reliability of the 997 you'd likely be no worse off driving the sweet Porsche for a few years.  But it's the risk factor.  What if the engine or transimission has a major issue and you're looking at some $10k repair bill?  You don't have to worry about that in the 428.

A few members of this board might make that decision.  But not the average guy/gal looking to drive a luxury/sporty coupe day to day.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +59/-118
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 10:30:13 am »
Very well written article, Jeff!  I have no interest in this vehicle (if I was in the market for an impractical BMW coupe, I'd gravitate to the smaller 1 - or is it now 2? - series), but I thoroughly enjoyed the review.

Online Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-309
  • You call this an angry mob?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Subaru CrossTrek Touring
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:33:48 am »
Yup. Good review, but likewise, I can't swallow the price for the performance offered. Aside from the badge and possibly the interior, there's nothing this offers that can't be had elsewhere for less.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. –
Carl Sagan

The truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is. -Winston Churchill

Offline Northernridge

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +263/-263
  • Because I say so.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 MB E350, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 10:59:17 am »
If I understand it right, this 4 banger tested is about $60k and it's another 10 for the 6? So $70k for the non-M 4 Series? I'd be wondering what else I could buy for that much money.

I almost feel like German car prices shot up ten thousand dollars since I got the Berlin taxi in 2012.

Still, nice car.
There are things that are so serious that you can only joke about them.
― Heisenberg

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-572
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 11:06:41 am »
Thats a lot of money for a badge, because yeah its a coupe, but its a 4 banger, so it wont be fast, certainly doesnt look that great. Im with the used 911 crowd, or a brand new Corvette, or, I know its blasphemy....a Mustang/Camaro, if I was actually looking at a coupe. Coupes should be fast and sporty.....
Keep the change you filthy animal.

Offline Northernridge

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +263/-263
  • Because I say so.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 MB E350, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 11:15:07 am »
If I wanted a coupe, I'd certainly consider the 4…with a 6. I might even choose it because it sure sounds nice. It's just that I'd have to convince myself that the 4 is the best choice for my 70. I probably would cross shop the Corvette…and likely conclude that I'd rather drive the BMW everyday. Would also look at a Cayman. Cayman/4 would come down to how much of a driver's car I want vs. GT. Might look at the upcoming C Class but I wouldn't even look at the outgoing model ('cept maybe the on-sale AMG version). A5 might be a little too soft-core…dunno. Lastly, I'd have to convince myself that I want a coupe over a sedan enough to pay the premium.

So, it would probably come down to what it always does for me…an actual sports car or a sedan.

I'm done.

Offline mixmanmash

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +37/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT, 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's)
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 11:15:30 am »
If I understand it right, this 4 banger tested is about $60k and it's another 10 for the 6? So $70k for the non-M 4 Series? I'd be wondering what else I could buy for that much money.

I almost feel like German car prices shot up ten thousand dollars since I got the Berlin taxi in 2012.

Still, nice car.

Not quite.  The $10k premium for the turbo-6 isn't just for the engine.   They give you a lot of other extras which are probably options on the turbo-4.  Chances are this turbo-4 was optioned up with many things that come standard with the turbo-6.

Offline OliverD

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-71
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 11:41:42 am »
M Sport is standard on the 435i, for one thing.

Offline lebowski

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 01:06:55 pm »

Fair enough, but still...  If you petitioned every buyer walking into a BMW dealership with intentions of buying/leasing a 428xi as their daily driver (which I'd assume 99.9% of these would be) with an alternative of dropping $60k on a used 997, I'd guess just about 0 would take you up on the offer.   Just a totally different "peace of mind" purchase choice.

You're correct that given depreciation curves and probable reliability of the 997 you'd likely be no worse off driving the sweet Porsche for a few years.  But it's the risk factor.  What if the engine or transimission has a major issue and you're looking at some $10k repair bill?  You don't have to worry about that in the 428.

A few members of this board might make that decision.  But not the average guy/gal looking to drive a luxury/sporty coupe day to day.

Totally valid. To your point, the members on this board *are* enthusiasts and while I won't of course speak for them, I have no doubt many enthusiasts would consider a used Porsche if they were in the market for some sort of hi-performance German metal - be it Audi, BMW, or Porsche.

Re: the likelihood of major repairs on the Porsche...I'll have to plead ignorance there.From the reading I've done, 2009+ porsches are no less reliable than any other German metal - possibly more? How likely, realistically is a $10k repair? You can always  buy an aftermarket warranty as well.

I get that with leasing a new BMW, you're taking the guesswork out and mitigating risk with the free warranty during the lease period, but you're paying a LOT up front for the pleasure to do so.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-62
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 01:40:11 pm »
 Sixty one big ones ...Amazing..I'll take two Genesis 3.8s please..This car looks like a rip-off of a Hyundai Genesis coupe...Amazingly so.. The big difference is the price....Wow   Thanks  Jack