Author Topic: Vacations 2014  (Read 169419 times)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Re: Vacations 2014
« Reply #620 on: July 21, 2014, 12:16:47 pm »
just finished two weeks vacation.   :'(
this year we did only two small short camping trips and lots of house work.

here's the Matrix loaded as always, be it a 2 day trip or for a 2 week vacation.
second shot is our little camping setup.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #621 on: July 21, 2014, 01:40:34 pm »
Heading East on Wednesday for a couple of weeks to see the family. Also looking forward for some proper seafood.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #622 on: July 21, 2014, 03:29:31 pm »
Just got back from a weekend diving the Straits of Mackinac.  Somehow, I have a better tan now from scuba diving than I would on a beach - go figure.  Hell, even the judge in court this morning commented ("I see you had a good weekend, Mr. Noto?"  "Following my annual visit to Sault Ste Marie to visit my brother?  I couldn't imagine a better vacation spot." - she laughed).

anywho, we dove out of St. Ignace and did the Northwest, Sandusky, and Cedarville.  The Northwest was a brig that sunk in ice, but the other two were amazing:

Sandusky - built in 1848, sunk in 1856 losing all lives on board.  Looked like:

Now looks like:

and then there was the Cedarville - amazing wreck.  600+ ft-long freighter, sank in 1965 due to a collision with a Norwegian icebreaker.  Unfortunately, the captain was a bit of a toolbox and made some very poor decisions, causing 29 deaths.
Looked like:

Now looks like:

Too big to get a shot of what it looks like underwater, but it was hella awesome.

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #623 on: July 21, 2014, 10:28:55 pm »
That's a nice shot of the wreck.  How deep are they?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 22, 2014, 02:55:55 pm »
From my dive computer, typically going close to, but not touching the bottom:
Northwest - 73ft
Sandusky - 83ft
Cedarville - 107ft

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #625 on: July 22, 2014, 06:29:27 pm »
From my dive computer, typically going close to, but not touching the bottom:
Northwest - 73ft
Sandusky - 83ft
Cedarville - 107ft

And I don't like swimming if I can't touch the bottom! 

So at what depth do go from normal scuba to the point where the "bends" starts taking effect?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 23, 2014, 10:33:49 am »
The 'bends' are not directly as a result of depth, per se, but based on time at depth.  There are dive tables to suggest how long you can stay at a certain depth before you go into "deco" (or decompression), after which you have to enter a chamber to decompress the nitrogen out of you.

So at 107ft, I can stay down for 16 mins before entering "deco", but that's not exactly telltale.  If you have a dive computer (and you should), your dive time will be significantly longer - I was down for 28 minutes on the basis of not being at 107ft the ENTIRE time.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #627 on: July 24, 2014, 07:36:21 pm »

here's the Matrix loaded as always, be it a 2 day trip or for a 2 week vacation...

For some reason, I love pictures of vehicles loaded up for travel.

You guys pack neatly. :)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 27, 2014, 12:08:32 am »
My cousin and I are thinking of going to Amsterdam, Munich, Berlin, and Prague at the end of September, into October. Non-stop, roundtrip flight to Amsterdam from Toronto is $764! We are taking the train and/or flying within Europe.

What are some things to do for two 25 y/o single males?

Munich: OKTOBERFEST!  ;D

We might stop by the Nürburgring too!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #629 on: July 27, 2014, 10:57:20 pm »
My cousin and I are thinking of going to Amsterdam, Munich, Berlin, and Prague at the end of September, into October. Non-stop, roundtrip flight to Amsterdam from Toronto is $764! We are taking the train and/or flying within Europe.

Oh boy, where to begin... ;)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #630 on: July 27, 2014, 10:59:03 pm »
Three more days until we leave for the drive to Cape Canaveral...then Disney Cruise! The countdown is on.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #631 on: July 27, 2014, 11:10:22 pm »
Three more days until we leave for the drive to Cape Canaveral...then Disney Cruise! The countdown is on.

That's a cool place!  It's been many years, but one of the highlights of my many trips to Florida.  We were really surprised by the abundance of wildlife within the boundaries of the base.  Kind of a neat and encouraging contrast to the technological wonders contained within.  :)  Enjoy!

Bon Voyage on the cruise as well.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 27, 2014, 11:21:49 pm »

That's a cool place!  It's been many years, but one of the highlights of my many trips to Florida.  We were really surprised by the abundance of wildlife within the boundaries of the base.  Kind of a neat and encouraging contrast to the technological wonders contained within.  :)  Enjoy!

Bon Voyage on the cruise as well.

Thanks! We've planned some spare days before and after the cruise to do some sightseeing along the Florida drive. Kennedy Space Centre is number one on my list. St. Augustine and Savannah are up there as well.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 28, 2014, 07:15:26 am »

That's a nice itinerary, should keep you well entertained.  :) As always, reserve enough time to stay in each city. I would stay at least two full days in Munich and Amsterdam, at least twice that in Berlin. To me Berlin is the most interesting place of these three by far, but of course it all depends on one's interests. Haven't been to Prague, so can't comment on that.

Btw, if you're planning to go to Oktoberfest, be sure to reserve your table asap. Some people reserve theirs one year in advance...
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #634 on: July 28, 2014, 02:54:21 pm »

That's a nice itinerary, should keep you well entertained.  :) As always, reserve enough time to stay in each city. I would stay at least two full days in Munich and Amsterdam, at least twice that in Berlin. To me Berlin is the most interesting place of these three by far, but of course it all depends on one's interests. Haven't been to Prague, so can't comment on that.

Btw, if you're planning to go to Oktoberfest, be sure to reserve your table asap. Some people reserve theirs one year in advance...

Berlin is a huge, fascinating city -- well worth 4 days.  Lots to see and do.  Prague is architecturally beautiful - it was barely harmed during WWII, so the old city is pretty much original.  As huota said, your personal interests will determine what you find most interesting. 
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 28, 2014, 07:18:10 pm »

1TSX, I have heard the same thing about Berlin vs Munich. We will be in Berlin in Sept-Oct. too. We have planned 3.5 days and 3 nights. We have also planned to visit VW's Autostadt in Wolfsburg, which is only 2 hours away. Since Berlin is kinda far away towards the east, we figured it would be a great time to visit Wolfsburg while we're in that area of the country. Those who have visited VW's Autostadt have recommended two days (indeed, tickets are available for 2 days), as it's apparently hard to cover in a day.

We were in Munich two years ago for 2 days, and that was good enough for us. (Including the BMW Welt & Museum.)

We were only in Amsterdam 1 day. We were alright with that.

Berlin is a huge, fascinating city -- well worth 4 days.  Lots to see and do.  Prague is architecturally beautiful - it was barely harmed during WWII, so the old city is pretty much original.  As huota said, your personal interests will determine what you find most interesting. 

I agree with Scaerio about Prague. Beautiful city. We spent 3 days and nights there. Could have probably done all we wanted in 2, but at least more than one day is needed IMO.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 29, 2014, 12:17:55 am »
1TSX,

I forgot to mention, although we thought 2 (full) days in Munich was fine, we really did love it and other parts of Bavaria, like Fussen (1 hour 40 min away, where we spent another couple of days).

An acquaintance of mine who's German says Bavaria is "warm" (not the stereotypical German image) and we agree. We look forward to going back again.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:19:28 am by Julie »

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 29, 2014, 01:03:23 am »
I agree, Munich is great place. Consider allowing one day to check out the Olympic Park and BMW Welt/Museum, in case you happen to be interested in cars :)

1TSX, you may want to stay in Friedrichshain or Kreuzberg-Friedrichshain areas in Berlin and they're just a stone's throw apart so you can easily check out both neighbourhoods. Nightlife is very active in both of them. Lots of hotels and hostels to suit your tastes and budgets. That said, my favourite area to stay in Berlin is near Hackescher Markt in Mitte. This is a little bit more polished area with very good transit access to places and also a walking distance to many cool cafes etc. And as always, I have to recommend Transit for some good Asian food.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #638 on: July 29, 2014, 01:21:48 am »
I agree, Munich is great place. Consider allowing one day to check out the Olympic Park and BMW Welt/Museum, in case you happen to be interested in cars :)

1TSX, you may want to stay in Friedrichshain or Kreuzberg-Friedrichshain areas in Berlin and they're just a stone's throw apart so you can easily check out both neighbourhoods. Nightlife is very active in both of them. Lots of hotels and hostels to suit your tastes and budgets. That said, my favourite area to stay in Berlin is near Hackescher Markt in Mitte. This is a little bit more polished area with very good transit access to places and also a walking distance to many cool cafes etc. And as always, I have to recommend Transit for some good Asian food.

If you are thinking of going to the infamous Berghain (the name is a mash-up of Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain), then do your best to not look like two heterosexual male tourists.  It's not a gay club, but the owners (who are gay) and the doormen are very picky about who they let in, and prefer a crowd that is decidedly non-mainstream.

Yes, I've been there a couple of times, thanks to friends who know people and have gotten my name added to the guest list.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/germany/berlin/10601482/Berghain-how-to-get-into-Berlins-most-exclusive-nightclub.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berghain
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:41:39 am by Scaerio »

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 29, 2014, 02:09:13 am »

If you are thinking of going to the infamous Berghain (the name is a mash-up of Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain), then do your best to not look like two heterosexual male tourists.  It's not a gay club, but the owners and the doormen are very picky about who they let in, and prefer a crowd that is decidedly non-mainstream.

Yes, I've been there a couple of times, thanks to friends who know people and have gotten my name added to the guest list.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/germany/berlin/10601482/Berghain-how-to-get-into-Berlins-most-exclusive-nightclub.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berghain

Yes, Berghain crossed my mind  :)