Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta SE  (Read 17509 times)

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta SE
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2013, 04:26:08 am »
plus, the Rio5 has a backup camera anyway (top trim), so not much of an issue either.

As does the Fiesta

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2013, 09:00:32 am »
...while there wasn't really anything wrong with the Fiesta, there really wasn't any reason to buy it over the Rio5.

Tiny back window in Rio5, better fuel economy and drive feel in Fiesta - but these are subjective, so you are correct - for YOU, there wasn't any reason to buy it over the Rio5.

For me, I'd also likely take the Rio5, but I wouldn't say that there isn't any reason to prefer the Fiesta - I would, except for the driver's seat - I think the Rio has some of the best seats anywhere under $40k.

the Fiesta rear window isn't any larger (or if it is, it is negligible), so i'm not sure what you are getting at there (they can both be considered small)...plus, the Rio5 has a backup camera anyway (top trim), so not much of an issue either.

the "driver feel" may be better if you were going to track the car perhaps, but isn't much of a deal in regular driving...i didn't find anything about the Fiesta that said "Hey, the driving dynamics on this car are excellent"...it simply felt like a subcompact car, nothing more, nothing less...the same goes for the Rio5 when i drove it...but top tier driving dynamics weren't high on my list (or most people's list) for a car like this...if it was a nice Roadster or Sports Car, sure, but not a subcompact car for $20kish.

if i drive my car "normal", i can easily get high 6s for fuel economy...my current tank is at 7.4 and i have been driving it very spirited, because it is fun to do so...i think whatever the difference is between the two of them is minimal (in terms of annualized fuel costs)...factor in that i get a refund from Kia every year, there likely isn't any difference.

Note that I, too, would likely buy the Rio.  I was just playing devil's advocate as to why someone would prefer the Fiesta.

In response, I also note that the Fiesta's rear window is small and high up, yet driving it (and parking it) felt FAR easier in the Fiesta.  Yes, a backup camera would mitigate this.

As for fuel economy, it wasn't a knock at the Kia saying it's bad/inefficient, it's saying that I have never, in any other car, been able to get as low real-world fuel economy as I have with the Fiesta.  It's splitting hairs (what, $100/year?), so it wouldn't be a huge motivating factor to purchase one over the other - yet, unless you were lucky (unlucky?) to have purchased a Kia during their posted-consumption-error days, a buyer would not be getting a 'refund' from Kia.  For you, you absolutely made the right choice.  I always noted when I got a Rio as a rental that I could see myself buying one...if only the interior weren't solid plastic, I actually would have considered it a fantastic ride worthy of a $30k pricetag.  I really, really liked the Rio.

...except the numb steering/outward visibility.  Minor gripes that wouldn't stop me from buying one - unlike the Fiesta's torture device, err, driver seat.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2013, 09:11:02 am »
    Not that I don't like the Fiesta but the Rio is a step up on power and torque at similar pricing. Looks decent and 'from reading' has a nice interior and seating in a similar size package. Hyundai reliability has proven itself, to me anyway, so I have no personal issues there. Supposing that Kia is of the same order. I think the Kia should come in at a cheaper price though.
   The above sentiments on handling attributes may be relevant to the great majority but fail to understand why they should not be equivalent and equal if indeed they are not so. Anyway, I suspect that nearly everyone comparing would be hard pressed to understand what all of this disscussion is about. The decent step up on HP and Torque in the Kia is...a consideration.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:57:24 am by Rupert »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2013, 02:07:31 pm »
I always noted when I got a Rio as a rental that I could see myself buying one...if only the interior weren't solid plastic, I actually would have considered it a fantastic ride worthy of a $30k pricetag.  I really, really liked the Rio.
i think only the bottom trim has the heavier application of solid plastic interior (low trim cars are usually rentals, and i would imagine most $16k cars are similar)...my top SX trim does not have the "solid plastic" interior, aside form the very top dash part (where you would rest a book if you wanted to) and the parts around the window switch gear...the rest of the "forward facing" dash is soft touch and the switch gear and controls all feel decent quality...it is why many reviews often said it looks more premium that what most would consider "par for the course" in this segment.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2013, 02:18:08 am »
Back to the car. I had one last year for two weeks while in business in Ontario and Quebec. It was the only car left at Pearson when I got there I didn't mind, since I love little cars. This was a an SE four door with the dual clutch thing. The car drove amazingly well, definately Euro-DNA there. The fit and finish were top notch and the seat quite comfortable. The computer-thingy said 7.2 L/100km, quite good.

The transmission was never exactly smooth and did odd things occasionally. The motor, while quite peppy, was not a paragon of smoothness or aural pleasure. Still, not a deal breaker at all. I drove a Focus recently and its transmission was much better.

I would think that the manual hatchback would be he way to go on this car. If one were to add many options, they's be at Civic LX territory really fast and in my opinion anyway, the Civic offers more kit of the money. Ford's packages are confusing and can be pricey.

Still a very fun little car, one of my favourite rentals in years, very nice to toss about.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2013, 08:57:25 am »
If one were to add many options, they's be at Civic LX territory really fast and in my opinion anyway, the Civic offers more kit of the money. Ford's packages are confusing and can be pricey.

Though I can't agree with you about the driver's seat (to wit, I only used Fiesta's for 3.5+ hr long rides, continuous without stopping from Windsor to Toronto), I agree with you that the Fiesta is a great, great offering.  The Fiesta (and the Rio, too) make me wonder how the Yaris and other subcompacts are still being sold.  The Fit seems to have a cult following, but I have yet to drive one so I cannot comment on it.  I can, however, say that the Yaris needs a major, major update, and the Fiesta is a very good offering - but can get pricey, as you indicated.

With that being said, I really, really like the fact that I can get that heated seats/mirrors whatever option for like $800 stand-alone.  Their packages ARE confusing, but they are really well done, IMO.  This is one car where I actually have no desire to spring for the Titanium, but an SE with a few other options (coming in around $17k pre-tax/fees) is a great offering (and cheaper than a Civic).  Still, for the $2k, I'd opt for the Civic with the backup camera, heated seats, and more peppy/almost-as-frugal powertrain.  I also like the Focus, but it's more prone to option creep, bringing the one I'd want into the $24,000+ range - so a big savings.  The Fiesta is well-priced and well-optioned.  Unfortunately, the Civic and Corolla are simply better value options for not a heck of a lot more cash (yes, $2-3,000 can be a LOT of cash to some).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2013, 02:43:09 pm »
I always noted when I got a Rio as a rental that I could see myself buying one...if only the interior weren't solid plastic, I actually would have considered it a fantastic ride worthy of a $30k pricetag.  I really, really liked the Rio.
i think only the bottom trim has the heavier application of solid plastic interior (low trim cars are usually rentals, and i would imagine most $16k cars are similar)...my top SX trim does not have the "solid plastic" interior, aside form the very top dash part (where you would rest a book if you wanted to) and the parts around the window switch gear...the rest of the "forward facing" dash is soft touch and the switch gear and controls all feel decent quality...it is why many reviews often said it looks more premium that what most would consider "par for the course" in this segment.

Do some manufacturers use different quality materials on higher trim levels?
i think in this class of car, all the materials are going to be reflective of the price of the car...it is more about WHAT materials, then the quality of them...many inexpensive cars in this class are laden in hard plastic inside, as that is the least expensive way to outfit the inside...some do a better job with their plastics to at least mimic a nicer look, but hard plastic is hard plastic...in the case of my car, much of the hard plastic is replaced with a soft touch material, which often looks and certainly feels better...there isn't usually anything "wrong" with hard plastics, they just often "look cheap", well, because they are...it isn't really a quality to criticize in a small car, since these aren't $50k premium luxury sedans, so you have to keep things in perspective...that said, a few extra touches here and there can really make a big difference in the look of the interior.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2013, 08:49:23 pm »
If one were to add many options, they's be at Civic LX territory really fast and in my opinion anyway, the Civic offers more kit of the money. Ford's packages are confusing and can be pricey.
Though I can't agree with you about the driver's seat (to wit, I only used Fiesta's for 3.5+ hr long rides, continuous without stopping from Windsor to Toronto), I agree with you that the Fiesta is a great, great offering.  The Fiesta (and the Rio, too) make me wonder how the Yaris and other subcompacts are still being sold.  The Fit seems to have a cult following, but I have yet to drive one so I cannot comment on it.  I can, however, say that the Yaris needs a major, major update, and the Fiesta is a very good offering - but can get pricey, as you indicated.

With that being said, I really, really like the fact that I can get that heated seats/mirrors whatever option for like $800 stand-alone.  Their packages ARE confusing, but they are really well done, IMO.  This is one car where I actually have no desire to spring for the Titanium, but an SE with a few other options (coming in around $17k pre-tax/fees) is a great offering (and cheaper than a Civic).  Still, for the $2k, I'd opt for the Civic with the backup camera, heated seats, and more peppy/almost-as-frugal powertrain.  I also like the Focus, but it's more prone to option creep, bringing the one I'd want into the $24,000+ range - so a big savings.  The Fiesta is well-priced and well-optioned.  Unfortunately, the Civic and Corolla are simply better value options for not a heck of a lot more cash (yes, $2-3,000 can be a LOT of cash to some).

A hatchback generally cost more than a sedan. In the Mazda3 case I think its around $1k.
So simplistically speaking you are looking at $1k+2k = $3k difference from going from a Fiesta (sedan) to Civic / Corolla (sedan)
or just the $2k

Maybe.

edit: oops $1k
2edit:  Looks like Ford Fiesta is the same price hatch or sedan.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:10:50 pm by Black Hatch »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2013, 09:03:03 pm »
$1,000 for the Mazda 3.