Author Topic: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz  (Read 113501 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: My Vehicular History Thread by DKaz
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 05:57:16 pm »
I was looking at upgrading my Sienna's sound system I was looking at a nice modern Pioneer 2DIN unit with Bluetooth, but then I had no idea which adapters I would need to retain the steering wheel controls. I really should've asked here first lol. I love my steering wheel controls for volume and mute. So I ditched that.

So step one, I got a Kinivo Bluetooth unit, hooked it up to a tape cassette adapter for now. The wires run behind the panel for the most part. The button is hooked up in whatever mystery button comes with the XLE maybe. The face is a main button that you briefly press to play/pause/answer/hang up calls, and hold it to activate your smartphone's voice activation -- in my case, Siri. Then there are buttons to skip or go back a track. Music streaming quality is very good. Voice is OK, the microphone will make your voice sound robotic but everyone hears me clearly otherwise. $40 USD on amazon.com or oddly $36 CAD on amazon.ca. No brainer since with the exchange rate the amazon.com unit would've cost me $44.80 CAD. I may eventually get an aux input adapter eventually but it's not too important at this time.

Next, I upgraded the speakers (Alpine SXE-1750 components in the front, Pioneer TS-A1685R in the back) and planned to drive them with an Alpine KTP-445U amplifier which I bought from Amazon. 1. The unit that I receive does not appear to be powering on, and 2. I found that the cassette deck's preamp doesn't appear to output a signal amplifiers can recognize anyway. I found this odd. I thought about tapping in high level speaker inputs which the amp supports because maybe the amp does work after all, but my stock amp's rear right channel was defective anyway. Sigh. The unit is sitting on my shelf right now while I figure out whether I should warranty or return it. I kinda lost the instruction manual unfortunately so I don't know if returning it will be an option.

I was still hell bent on keeping my cassette deck with its missing knobs. At the same time, my recent Lexus obsession started.

Lexus. Lexus must come with nice sound systems stock. I wondered if any of their amplifiers could be hooked up to the Sienna. Behold, the 97-02 Lexus ES300 amplifier, made by Pioneer. 195W on 5 channels, yes this bad boy has a subwoofer channel. A seller on eBay was selling these for $25, couldn't hurt to try?

Received it this morning. Hooked it up. Wow a remarkable improvement in sound quality. I can crank up the volume with very little distortion. Improved clarity on the high end and improved midbass on the low end. I will be dealing with the sub bass by adding a subwoofer over the coming weeks. The amp requires a 2 ohm subwoofer and I think it should be able to drive a 100-150W 8 incher so that's what I'll be sourcing. I'm thinking of placing the subwoofer between the driver and passenger seats in a downfiring format in an enclosure designed to take a little bit of weight. FYI, the subwoofer connections are the two empty pins in the smaller 6 pin connector that connects to the amp, between the rear speaker outputs.

Just one very minor little quibble, the amplifier appears to be sensitive to alternator noise and dimmer noise. The alternator noise I will likely tackle by adding an inline ground loop isolator on the 12V power supply but this noise is barely audible. The really audible noise is the illumination/dimmer switch noise which goes away when I turn the instrument panel lights off. I've gotten it to find a sweet spot a couple of times where the instrument panel lights can be on at a certain setting although this sweet spot has to be refound each time the lights are turned off and on again. I'm not sure if another ground loop isolator here will solve it? I wonder as well if I should bypass the harness and just ground everything straight to the chassis.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchases. Both have immensely improved enjoyment while driving for a pretty small cost. Well except figuring out what I'm going to do with that Alpine amp.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:38 pm »
Great work! That Lexus amp idea was good. I've upgraded the stereos in most of the cars I own and I agree that a properly tuned stereo goes a long way to enhancing the overall experience.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 01:23:24 am »
Great work! That Lexus amp idea was good. I've upgraded the stereos in most of the cars I own and I agree that a properly tuned stereo goes a long way to enhancing the overall experience.

I agree, but it's getting harder and harder to do nowadays, those dashboards, and replaced the existing head unit can get pricey.  It was really easy to upgrade the Sentra when I had it.  But when I was doing the Mazda5, that head unit is a pain to replace.  I jus upgraded the speakers, and added a small amplifier, from Alpine. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 02:22:44 am »

Thanks! A good sound system has often been a high priority in a lot of my cars but the execution has evolved. As a test, I hooked up a home receiver to see how clean the sound could be when driven hard and it was beautiful. A higher power amp would definitely do the trick in the future. But this setup is halfway there,

I successfully tapped into the subwoofer pins this evening. Seems the low pass filter is pretty aggressive. Can't wait to build a proper subwoofer. I just have a 6.5" mid bass woofer to use for now. It doesn't do much lol.

Solstice2006, do you have the same small Alpine Power Pack? Do you find it to be a good upgrade? I found the Mazda 5 to have really good bass response, even capable of producing sub frequencies with a good rumble, but the mid to high range lacking. My Mazda 3 is about the same. Actually I had to turn the bass down to -2, it still pounds hard.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 12:44:00 pm »
Dkaz, yes I have the same Alpine power pack.  Problem I noticed when going from the Mazda6 to the Mazda5 was that once turning up the volume pass the halfway point, the sound was distorted.  Added the Alpine unit, and the speakers, that helped quite a bit.  Still less bass than the stock Mazda6, which didn't have much to begin with.  But that doesn't really bother me.  And I don't want to take up any room to add a sub. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 02:31:29 pm »
Great job, DKaz.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 03:31:43 pm »
Nice work!
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2014, 02:09:55 am »
Thanks!

Went to the drive in theatre Friday night. The sound quality was amazing. The 6.5" woofer did a decent enough job reproducing sub bass. Can't wait to get an 8" subwoofer in.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2014, 05:26:13 am »
 :thumbup: Good job!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2014, 07:52:17 am »
Nice, I love the drive-in!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2014, 09:27:51 am »
Nice, I love the drive-in!

Your pretty close to the one on Ford Drive....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2014, 10:03:29 am »
Yeah, I am. I try to go at least a couple times every year.
I used to go a lot back in my highschool & university days...Couple sleeping bags and some external speakers in the bed of my pickup truck :D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2014, 12:58:42 am »
Drive in theatres are the best. Solstice2006 it's a great place to take the kids. They can't bother other people if they get restless. My kids typically fall asleep between the middle of the first movie to the middle of the second movie.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2014, 10:16:04 am »
Drive in theatres are the best. Solstice2006 it's a great place to take the kids. They can't bother other people if they get restless. My kids typically fall asleep between the middle of the first movie to the middle of the second movie.

Hey you don't have to tell me.  I have been going for a long time.  Go to 3 different ones.  Stoney Creek mountain, Ford Drive, and the one in Hanover.

Never taken the kids before, it's Mommy and Daddy time.... ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2014, 12:11:37 pm »
Never taken the kids before, it's Mommy and Daddy time.... ;D

So, if the Ody's a-rockin' (...)   :rofl:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2014, 12:24:18 pm »
And there's the real reason they got the Odyssey...  ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2014, 04:01:16 pm »
Thanks!

Went to the drive in theatre Friday night. The sound quality was amazing. The 6.5" woofer did a decent enough job reproducing sub bass. Can't wait to get an 8" subwoofer in.

Cool....I miss drive ins. Last one I went to with my wife was the Big Island Drive a few clicks south of Flin Flon. Problem is the summer was we had to wait until 11:00 pm for the movie to start, fun times.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2014, 12:10:03 am »
Ah Flin Flon. I've never been but one day I will have to meet my inlaws there. Is it still open?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2014, 12:20:51 am »
Thanks!

:'( I so miss drive ins.....I havent seen one in years.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2014, 12:37:58 am »
:'( I so miss drive ins.....I havent seen one in years.

Sad that Edmonton used to be the drive in theatre capital of North America, with as many as 11 at one point. The last one to shut down was Star Dust just north of Whitemud Drive and west of 50 St.

This one, Twilight Drive In, is in the distant Vancouver suburb of Aldergrove. It's a pretty popular place and I fully support them every time I go there. Their concession stand is reasonably priced so I have no issue spending money there. Their burger combo is $10 for example. They made the upgrade to digital last year, ensuring their future as the industry moves away from film. We had a scare years ago when the owner shut down their previous location in the closer suburb of Cloverdale, but they reopened in this new location after a one year hiatus. This was a real eye opener not to take this gem for granted. Drive In Theatres forever!