Author Topic: 2014 Kia Forte 5  (Read 27961 times)

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
Re: 2014 Kia Forte 5
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 11:15:50 pm »
the mirrors can be turned off or on via a button on the drivers armrest next to the regular mirror control, so they don't have to auto function if you don't want too.  :)

you can download the owners manual from Kia Canada to read up on any of the features
http://www.kia.ca/kia-owners-manuals
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:19:15 pm by conwelpic »

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2014, 08:55:28 am »

REF Mazda: What we found was akin to a tablet having been crazy glued onto the top of the middle of the dash, ruining the flow of the dash. So if you like things sticking out of the top of the dash as opposed to a co-ordinated design flow, then this car is for you!

Ref Kia: Immediately on driving the Kia the steering did not impress, on center.

With regards to Mazda's dash. I hate what they have done in that respect. It seems to be the trend nowadays. So many cars have the screens that look like an after thought.

Zack Spencer of Driving television said the Kia's steering on center sloppiness required constant correction to keep it going straight down a highway. I was so sorry to hear that comment as that is a deal breaker on an otherwise very interesting and nice car. It seems that you experienced the same.

If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2014, 09:30:22 am »
Yes, I wasn't specifically thinking about the steering when I drove the Kia and noticed it. And I never had it on a highway, just town and secondary roads. Also there was no wind that day. I'm used to driving many cars with electric steering, including some that aren't rated that highly by reviewers, but are "easily liveable".

Kia should be aware of, and able to fix this, I would hope.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +234/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2014, 10:17:02 am »

Agreed.  But not likely on this generation. 

Are these the only two you are looking at? 

Given your criticisms I would still take the Mazda as I would rate its negatives lower and the steering/quality of the Kia higher.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2014, 10:38:00 am »

Given your criticisms I would still take the Mazda as I would rate its negatives lower and the steering/quality of the Kia higher.

I agree with you in terms of that comparison. It took a while for the steering issue to sink in. It would have killed the deal on a second test drive anyway if it was like Driving television found, as I would be examining it closer and take the car on a more extended drive.

No they aren't the only two, however they were at the top of my list. Generally I'm not looking at anything bigger than the Verano and nothing that I consider anemic. Unfortunately I need to have an automatic for so my wife can drive it. There are lots of other factors too that eliminate various makes, for example if there are no dealers within a reasonable distance. I'm looking at new and also late model used. It will be a replacement for the Jetta in order to move to a recent model year. I might even try to sell the Jetta first, maybe through the classified section here.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2014, 12:15:15 pm »

I agree with you in terms of that comparison. It took a while for the steering issue to sink in. It would have killed the deal on a second test drive anyway if it was like Driving television found, as I would be examining it closer and take the car on a more extended drive.

No they aren't the only two, however they were at the top of my list. Generally I'm not looking at anything bigger than the Verano and nothing that I consider anemic. Unfortunately I need to have an automatic for so my wife can drive it. There are lots of other factors too that eliminate various makes, for example if there are no dealers within a reasonable distance. I'm looking at new and also late model used. It will be a replacement for the Jetta in order to move to a recent model year. I might even try to sell the Jetta first, maybe through the classified section here.

You will have more luck with Kijiji, I used both for my last two cars I sold...

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2014, 09:32:37 am »

Zack Spencer of Driving television said the Kia's steering on center sloppiness required constant correction to keep it going straight down a highway. I was so sorry to hear that comment as that is a deal breaker on an otherwise very interesting and nice car. It seems that you experienced the same. [/color]

OK, so "hold the phone".  :)

Please give us a link to that. I spent some time searching Driving Television and all I could find for a Kia Forte was his review of a sedan with the 2.0 engine. It was from the previous Season 10, Episode 1013. In that, he said "I've been a big complainer about Korean manufacturer's power steering. This one feels pretty good, but that might also be because this one has the larger 17" wheels".

'Pretty good' vs. keeping it on the highway are extremes in my opinion. I don't see the deal breaker?  :-\ Where.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2014, 10:03:27 am »

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2014, 10:30:58 am »
He has is own channel now on Youtube called Motormouth Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX13wwdzipRhH001W3X0WyQ

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME_mY28uOSk&list=UUX13wwdzipRhH001W3X0WyQ

Thanks for that.  :)  I didn't know about that site, looks good for (as he says) reviews on the kind of cars most people end up looking at.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2014, 11:29:26 am »
He has is own channel now on Youtube called Motormouth Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX13wwdzipRhH001W3X0WyQ

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME_mY28uOSk&list=UUX13wwdzipRhH001W3X0WyQ

Thanks for that.  :)  I didn't know about that site, looks good for (as he says) reviews on the kind of cars most people end up looking at.

Interesting review of the 2014 Koup here, both the SX turbo and 2.0L being driven on the same day (in terms of steering). And it explains the relatively positive comments about the steering in the review of the sedan a year ago. This 2.0L version had 17" wheels, the turbo has 18".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsTowv3Vj64

So could this be more a simple case of tramlining as 40R18 starts to be too much for this car's suspension and its electric steering.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2014, 09:40:18 am »
The monochrome-black interior, right up to the headliner, with only a bit of carbon fiber to contrast slightly, seems very grim. Why can they not give us a bit of a contrast with a lighter color choice? The comment about the quality of the materials is concerning too.

This had the potential to be an interesting choice in the segment. However it seems overpriced if you want one nicely equipped and the issues with the steering are unfortunate. VW Canada says you can get a 2015 GTI starting at $28K. If that's true I see no reason to look anywhere else.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.