Author Topic: Truck Test: 2013 Ford F-150  (Read 10734 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Truck Test: 2013 Ford F-150
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:31:02 am »

Ford brought James out to truck country to test the 2013 F-150 in real-truck conditions.

Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Truck Test: 2013 Ford F-150
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:49:10 am »
The claimed l/100km on the Ecoboost is almost laughable...hardee har har...

When you guys do the 4 way comparison...I'd love to be there and help out with the driving bits.  ;D  I'll just call in sick for a week.  ;)

There is a huge variation in what you can achieve for fuel consumption in the Ecoboost models.  Most of it has to do with the final drive ratio that you select.  Select the one that allows you to tow the least for the best consumption, and select the one that allows you to tow the most for the worst consumption, with some middling choices.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:53:06 am »
I like the extended cab version of this truck which is something that the Ram does not come in. It does not have to be all tricked out...just  extendable side mirrors and 3.6 or so non-turbo and capable of 5000 LB tow rating. Something that would pull a smallish to bit bigger trailer for touring with authority, for two people and small dog. This would make a decent rig for say a 3500Lb fibreglass trailer with a bit in hand.

Offline PJAvenger

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT Convertible; 2013 RAM 1500; 2008 Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:28:23 am »
6 speed?  What is this, 2002?  Step up your game Ford!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:40:13 am »
I understand the Ford is the market leader in sales but agree with the author in regards to the competition namely Ram.
With Ram introducing innovative changes and upcoming diesel engine and ads claiming Canada's longest lasting pickups, I'm betting on Ram inching close to Ford F-150 sales here.
Customers are looking for real world results and getting dismayed with failing promises that 22" wheels won't cure.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:09:29 am »
This test almost brought a tear to my eye, trucks doing truck things, hauling shingles and towing a bobcat, way to go.  :bow: Any plans on doing a 3 way test similar to this on the new Ram, new Sierra and the F150??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 10:18:00 am »
surprising that you can easily do what auto journalists can't do while hypermiling and i would assume as frugal a truck as Ford could provide. Not doubting, just a little shocked. with the 3.31, what is the towing rating if ya don't mind my asking?

One thing i noticed in the review was the comment about the v6... how you had better keep it a while as they are difficult to part with... something i have been telling Ram buyers lately but none wants to listen. The v6's are just for fuel numbers, not actually in the best interest of the buyers. at least, in my opinion.

nice truck. my only worry with trucks these days are the multitude of options and packages available... makes it near impossible to build the right stock on a lot... i expect quite a bit of factory ordering and/or no one actually getting all the special packages available.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:47:12 am »
   I would prefer a test of base engined versions...3.5 non turbo, and think that there would be interest for the trailer towing crowd in that. Not all-dressed, those are toys IMO, but just extendable side mirrors and mid tow package. Surely they all have versions in this tow category.
   We started with a tent trailer behind a station wagon with kids and dog. Still have dog but kids are long gone so a small fixed head trailer is just right as long as the dog does not snore. Anyway I bet there are many kindred spirits who would be looking here. I know that you can get SUVs but think that the above would be better and cheaper and less punished. A nice cap would keep your travelling version of stuff dry. Whats not to like? Great for doing things at home...4x8 with tail door down...load of tripple mix...few patio stones. Six ratios are fine...where is it going to end.
   You know one truck (Chev I think) had a dash mounted rotatable knob for shifting. What a great space saver. I don't need a stick poking up between the seats. Too bad it was labelled a girlie shifter. Latest version of Soccer Mom? Come to think of it...why not put the shifter like a horizontal lever just behind the stearing wheel...we could call it a 'stearing column shift' or something. That way you could have the seats continue across the width of the cab and the dog would love sitting there right between his two meal tickets. I suppose someone would deriseively name it a bench seat or some such, regardless of the fact that this kind of seat only came in luxury cars for a while. Make it so.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:05:21 am by Rupert »

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 10:56:26 am »
Nice review, a step in the right direction. However, it looks like a Ford sponsored event which is ok but I see Ford cleverly provided a specialized model for each aspect of the demo. Most consumers have to settle on one truck for all applications which gets at the essence of a pickup – compromise. If you had to pick one model for towing, family life, commuting, recreation, etc. what do you do?

22 inch wheels? Good grief.

Also wondering about Silverado plus Sierra sales combined then compared to the F150...I assume Ford still wins the sales race...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 11:02:20 am »
22" rims on a pickup.....  :bang: :shake: Low profile tires, to make the ride worse than it is and then really get rid of any cross country capability with low profile tires. You know, id almost accept a 20" rim if the reason was that they shoved a massive 14-16" 8 piston brake under it, till then....NO!!!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 11:08:33 am »
For the year so far it looks like this:

US figures:
F150 227873
GM 211048 (Silverado 156044, Sierra 55004)
Ram 109003
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 11:17:16 am »
For the year so far it looks like this:

US figures:
F150 227873
GM 211048 (Silverado 156044, Sierra 55004)
Ram 109003

Will be interesting to see if the new 2014 Chev/Gm tips the scales...and then I think a new F150 is only 2 years away.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 11:19:47 am »

With Ram introducing innovative changes and upcoming diesel engine and ads claiming Canada's longest lasting pickups, I'm betting on Ram inching close to Ford F-150 sales here.

I'm betting they don't appproach F-150 sales figures.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 11:22:47 am »
   You know one truck (Chev I think) had a dash mounted rotatable knob for shifting. What a great space saver. I don't need a stick poking up between the seats. Too bad it was labelled a girlie shifter. Latest version of Soccer Mom? Come to think of it...why not put the shifter like a horizontal lever just behind the steering wheel...we could call it a 'steering column shift' or something.
My new car has a  4" long lever behind the steering wheel with just R-N-D on it and a button on the end which engages Park.  That what you want?
It has no mechanical linkage to anything...just operates an input to the transmission computer. The status of the transmission is displayed in the trip computer display.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 11:26:45 am »
   You know one truck (Chev I think) had a dash mounted rotatable knob for shifting. What a great space saver. I don't need a stick poking up between the seats. Too bad it was labelled a girlie shifter. Latest version of Soccer Mom? Come to think of it...why not put the shifter like a horizontal lever just behind the steering wheel...we could call it a 'steering column shift' or something.
My new car has a  4" long lever behind the steering wheel with just R-N-D on it and a button on the end which engages Park.  That what you want?
It has no mechanical linkage to anything...just operates an input to the transmission computer. The status of the transmission is displayed in the trip computer display.
Am I the only that thinks a direct mechanical linkage is the only way to fly when it comes to durability?? Kind of like switches or buttons to engage 4x4 on trucks, I prefer a handle on the floor. I dont get why manufacturers set out to complicate systems on a vehicle that should be kept as simple as possible, trucks are not S class/Rolls Royce competitors, high tech crap is just another problem area when you get it wet or full of dust or shake the crap out of it running across washboard gravel.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 11:41:46 am »
All Im saying is that 22" rims on an utility vehicle is stupid, thats just asking for rim damage and really expensive tires for no reason whatsover. You wanna look pretty, get a cabrio Mini, you want to do some work, get a truck.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 11:48:58 am »
I understand the Ford is the market leader in sales but agree with the author in regards to the competition namely Ram.
Customers are looking for real world results and getting dismayed with failing promises that 22" wheels won't cure.

You can bet GM and Ford will be watching Ram 1500 Diesel sales carefully.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 11:55:58 am »
"The 3.7LV6 engine towing capacity has increased to 3,039 kg from 2,767 kg (6,700 lb up from 6,100 lb) although this seems arbitrary to me with no SAE standards attached."

Wing, you know it's not arbitrary at all - RAM claimed their Pentastar V6 towing capacity to 6500 pounds, so Ford just had to one-up them!

The recent edmunds.com F150 vs RAM V6 comparison was fairly enlightening - the F150 powertrain is clearly a half-step behind.

Most consumers have to settle on one truck for all applications which gets at the essence of a pickup – compromise. If you had to pick one model for towing, family life, commuting, recreation, etc. what do you do?

22 inch wheels? Good grief.

Very good point.  I think the 5.0L is a nice compromise, my curling buddy really likes his.  If the Ecoboost reliability holds up long-term, it may be a good compromise too.  And 22" wheels are indeed ridiculous - especially when the owner attempts to drive all winter on low-profile all-season tires!

As for body styles, I like what RAM has done with their "extended cab"-still has 4 real doors, which makes the vehicle much easier to use in a parking lot - but the length is more manageable.  The F150 extended cab has enough cab space for us, but the suicide doors are a pain.  Too bad you can't get an extended-cab with a 5.5" bed any more (other than the Raptor!!), it's a lot nicer to drive in town, and still very useful (as long as you don't haul sleds or quads!)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 12:06:09 pm »
Am I the only that thinks a direct mechanical linkage is the only way to fly when it comes to durability?? Kind of like switches or buttons to engage 4x4 on trucks, I prefer a handle on the floor. I dont get why manufacturers set out to complicate systems on a vehicle that should be kept as simple as possible, trucks are not S class/Rolls Royce competitors, high tech crap is just another problem area when you get it wet or full of dust or shake the crap out of it running across washboard gravel.
Mechanical linkages are more likely to fail when full of dust, wet or shaken than sealed ( not for life, but well gasketted) computers and their interfaces...nowadays. And these should be simple trucks still have fuel injection, high pressure fuel pumps and all kinds of accessories that are subject to the damage you suggest...and I don't argue that dust,wet,vibration can be killers for badly designed equipment.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 12:13:53 pm »
Mechanical linkages are more likely to fail when full of dust, wet or shaken than sealed ( not for life, but well gasketted) computers and their interfaces...nowadays. And these should be simple trucks still have fuel injection, high pressure fuel pumps and all kinds of accessories that are subject to the damage you suggest...and I don't argue that dust,wet,vibration can be killers for badly designed equipment.

My experience with automotive electronics is just that, the electrical components are not well sealed or insulated from heat and vibration. A linkage can fixed on the spot with a can of WD-40 and some basic hand tools....a computer board....not so much. I guess I am old fashioned when it comes to trucks, I still miss manual locking hubs  ;D