Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 2900351 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3260 on: October 20, 2014, 10:48:21 pm »
Two days in a row that I scuff up my BBS wheels on curbs because I have to make evasive moves due to other drivers stupidity  >:( I'm going to build a rat rod from a junker just to go to the beer store, LCBO, bank, and groceries.....go ahead, hit me and my 500 pound steel bumper  >:(  >:(

And last year (IIRC) you replaced a wheel that got scuffed, didn't you?

I thought you drove like a woman, but this is getting out of control!!   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3261 on: October 20, 2014, 10:52:33 pm »
Two days in a row that I scuff up my BBS wheels on curbs because I have to make evasive moves due to other drivers stupidity  >:( I'm going to build a rat rod from a junker just to go to the beer store, LCBO, bank, and groceries.....go ahead, hit me and my 500 pound steel bumper  >:(  >:(

And last year (IIRC) you replaced a wheel that got scuffed, didn't you?

I thought you drove like a woman, but this is getting out of control!!   :rofl2:

Must be all the burn-outs and street racing in the last two weeks  :P

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3262 on: October 20, 2014, 11:07:16 pm »
Well maybe he was bored, or had some other service to do.  Its a personal thing.  I wait for the daily highs to be in the single digits for 3 days in a row. 

Usually end of November.

Waiting is probably better, but I did the Firebird this weekend anyway. I have my reasons though:
-I am getting it Krown oil sprayed this weekend, so I prefer them to oil up the winter rims (backsides get really gross)
-I usually work outside and prefer to work in humane temperatures
-I am booked pretty steady in press cars until late November, so the car will mostly just sit until then anyway.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3263 on: October 21, 2014, 08:45:31 am »
Well maybe he was bored, or had some other service to do.  Its a personal thing.  I wait for the daily highs to be in the single digits for 3 days in a row. 

Usually end of November.

Our normal high is down to 7C by the end of the week.  I get my winters on next Monday.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3264 on: October 21, 2014, 10:42:06 am »
Yup, with overnight and morning temps able to dip below zero, precip could now come as snow anytime.  I'll swap the snows onto the Forester and Highlander first, then the Corolla, and of course the Miata will just go into hibernation soon.

The first snow of the season brings carnage to the streets, so the Forester is the choice for snowy days early in the season.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3265 on: October 21, 2014, 03:05:00 pm »

Usually end of November.
I always do it in late Oct so I beat the queues at my local tire place.   As a low mileage driver I can afford the extra wear on the winter tires.   When we get early snow it is usually the slippery stuff as the temp is close to zero.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:06:37 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #3266 on: October 21, 2014, 09:54:12 pm »
Bought a winter wheel package (WS80s and black M5 replicas) for a car I technically have not purchased yet! Two more weeks... :P
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3267 on: October 22, 2014, 02:57:34 pm »
Yesterday I attempted my first oil change on the Legacy. Having owned the Forester for a while, I figured what the hey.

I ordered a fumoto valve from http://www.ezoildrain.ca/
I purchased the recommended oil filter, fully synthetic oil and some 12,000lbs Pro ramps on sale all at C.T.
I have to admit that I hate the chore of taking out jack and stands and found the ramps much easier. You either need a spotter for these or a large mirror I find for my comfort level when ascending on to the ramps.

With the vehicle in Park and the E-brake (I recommend blocks in rear wheels if manual car) Hood open and oil cap off. I proceeded to get on my mechanic creeper and crawl under the car with tools, gloves, rag in hand and triangle oil catch pan. Subaru has a 4 screw two push fasteners under engine cover that has to be removed (What a pain in the a$$)  Find the 14mm nut and unscrew and drain. After a little investigation find the oddly placed oil filter and realize I need a different filter tool based on the tight location of the filter. Gloves in hand I attempt to wrench off the filter by hand no luck. My traditional oil filter tools can't get in this little spot. Try multiple angles and different hand and glove combos...no luck. Ok now for the fumoto valve. Can things get worse...yes it's to large. I apparently order the one for the 98 Forester that I was also looking at online. [Frick, Fracken I'm trying to be civil with my 14 old assisting me] So place original bolt back on and decided will have to come back with new tools to remove filter.
Place in the new oil and call it a night. Get on the net and shoot off an email to Barry at ezoildrain explaining that I screwed up ordered wrong valve but will keep for Forester and need another. He was good enough to give me 15% another one which is on on it's way.

I recall oil changes being so much easier at one time. Either way looks like Subaru has since changed their oil filter to a top mount unit with only the filer portion not fully metal body being replaced.

Called Subaru, apparently they don't sell the oil filter tool. Thinking of getting one of these

Curious anyone know if I can remove the filter without removing oil on a EJ253 engine without oil pissing completely out ?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:06:23 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: October 22, 2014, 03:01:51 pm »
Those suck...take your filter to CAN Tire and get one of these

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3269 on: October 22, 2014, 03:04:36 pm »
Can you get a screwdriver through the filter??

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3270 on: October 22, 2014, 03:08:31 pm »
today what i did isn't really worth mentioning.. but it got funny looks...

my parents bought a bunch of those full sized pose-able skeletons from costco and gave me one... i have it as my passenger. keeps me company.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #3271 on: October 22, 2014, 03:09:10 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3
When in doubt this will get any filter off

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3272 on: October 22, 2014, 03:29:15 pm »
I need the tool to secure the new oil filter on. I can't get my hand securely around the new filter and tighten by hand as recommended.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3273 on: October 22, 2014, 04:58:01 pm »
Redman, what a pain in the a$$.   I admit, I did the Odyssey and Mazda5 once this summer each.  The Odyssey was easier, because there was no cover underneath, and easier to jack up.  The Mazda5 is a pain, there is like 4 or 5 bolts to take off  the cover.  There is some satisfaction in doing it yourself.  Personally, I think even with practice, it would take me 45 minutes.  And I would only save $10 a vehicle.  So I am not going to do it anymore.  Less stressful, I find as well!   ;D

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: October 22, 2014, 07:47:27 pm »
That sucks redman. Oil change are most of the time a real pain the a** nowadays. I do mours because I am also using synthetic and don't like to be ripped off + I know I am using the good stuff (ex.: GM requirements are not met by all synthetic brands out there...) and even if I save at least $50 I am not sure it is really worth it...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: October 22, 2014, 07:55:20 pm »
I admit that I use to use Costco's oil service prior to the Legacy. Costco has since changed from offering a $35 oil change with conventional oil to only offering a $50+ Synthetic only oil change. Location was great.
Price alone did not deter me but the last oil change on the Forester took almost 8 hrs before they found time to work on it. We were not the only customers wondering what happened.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: October 22, 2014, 08:06:55 pm »
Costco used to be a good deal but now has 2 caveats: if you don't bring it early in the morning they won't be able to do it and their price is for Castrol Syntec which is good for our Ford but not for the GM one...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3277 on: October 22, 2014, 10:47:48 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

However, if that fails the car is inoperable.  Filters today are really flimsy.  The risk is that the screw drive would just simply rotate and act like a can opener leaving base behind.  Then you got a much bigger problem.

Right sized channel lock pliers will take that filter right off. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: October 22, 2014, 10:53:13 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

However, if that fails the car is inoperable.  Filters today are really flimsy.  The risk is that the screw drive would just simply rotate and act like a can opener leaving base behind.  Then you got a much bigger problem.

I have a oil filter pliers too.  But they are only for removing!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3279 on: October 22, 2014, 11:08:08 pm »

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Yep, been there, no fun at all.

I like the cap style ones as Ron posted, but it's gotta be a nice tight fit, otherwise forget it. Pliers are great, but only if you can get them into the area.