Author Topic: New Audi RS4 owner  (Read 27117 times)

Offline RS4Dalf

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-4
  • ...the RS4 is perfectly hewn & crushingly capable.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Audi RS4
Re: New Audi RS4 owner
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2013, 04:38:57 pm »

First time I've heard of this - I've read plenty about the carbon buildup in direct injection cars (which is a $1,000 tear down to clean the valves and intakes...  :P).
If this is true, this could mean 50 more HP that I've been missing !  ;)   I'll check it out tomorrow - you've got me curious.

It's usually filled with debris....leaves, grass, bugs, etc.  I think the official reason for this screen is to prevent snow from entering.  Might be called a snow screen or something similar.

Looks similar to this: 

This convinces me I don't know as much as I think I know...  thanks a bunch for the info and I'll check it tomorrow and let you know how it looks...

EDIT: I recently bought wheel spacers from ECS (they'll go on with the summers) so I know the name. Thanks again.

EDIT 2: for future reference (if anyone ever reads this thread  :rofl:):
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_RS4--V8/Engine/Intake/ES436254/

rrocket - had my mechanic check the filters and everything has been changed (or cleaned). The "snow" filter was dirty but not a rat's nest - whew. Car feels better - more responsive and less hesitant, so it was due.

I have to say, I am loving this car - it's bloody fantastic.
FGC...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:41:11 pm by G35Dalf »
I'm like a slinky... I'm only fun when you push me down the stairs.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1250/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2013, 05:22:47 pm »
^^Good!  Glad it's not all clogged.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2014, 12:59:43 pm »
Reviving an old thread here, but just wondering if you've anything further to add to your reports on the PSS tires? Realise that you won't have used them for the last ~6 months so whatever you can remember from last year.

The original summer tires are pretty much done on mine (Pirelli P7's), got ~ 35k on them and they could probably last another few thousand, but figuring it makes sense to get new ones now before I swap wheels for the summer.

Considering the PSS and the Pilot Sport A/S 3 - the latter may give up a bit of ultimate performance for peace of mind in spring / fall when you don't want to be on a pure summer tire in a freak cold snap / snow storm.

Welcome to hear from others with experience with these tires / competitors as well.

Hope you enjoyed the RS4 in the many dumps of snow we had, the S4 was a blast and is going great. 3 yr ownership update now due ... time flies!

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2014, 10:13:54 am »
Thanks Normancw....

Appreciate your comments, but in the end I've decided to get the PS A/S 3. Will give me extra piece of mind in the spring & fall - maybe just psychological that I'm not driving on summer tires when there's a frost out :)

They are back ordered for a couple of weeks, but will let you know what I think of them once installed.

Cheers!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2014, 11:19:03 am »
Appreciate your comments, but in the end I've decided to get the PS A/S 3. Will give me extra piece of mind in the spring & fall - maybe just psychological that I'm not driving on summer tires when there's a frost out :)

How bad are summer tires when the temps drop below 5C?  I always hear they are like 'hockey pucks' but how bad is that? No control, some control?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2014, 01:19:06 pm »

How bad are summer tires when the temps drop below 5C?  I always hear they are like 'hockey pucks' but how bad is that? No control, some control?

Fine.  ;D

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2014, 04:46:43 pm »

Fine.  ;D

:fiver:
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2014, 06:37:08 pm »

In my experience, it takes a bit colder than 5C to make them into 'hockey pucks", but I've gotten sideways on dry roads at 80kph at -5C with race rubber.   I've also hit 2cm of snow with some tires and had to pull over and stop.
Mr Pickypants

Offline RS4Dalf

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2014, 12:36:14 am »
Recently installed a flat bottom steering wheel.
I love it - a smaller circumference wheel with wider grip than stock. More leg room getting in and out too.

Sorry for the crappy cell pic.

Flat bottom vs stock:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:42:12 am by G35Dalf »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2014, 12:41:34 am »
I love it - a smaller circumference wheel with wider grip than stock. More leg room getting in and out too.

Damn, G35D!!!

that looks great.  how are you enjoying the RS4 so far?   has it been reliable, and how was the steering wheel install?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline RS4Dalf

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2014, 12:51:49 am »
Thanks. Happy with the upgrade. Purely cosmetic of course, but I'm staring at the wheel for 2 hours a day so I figured what the hay.

The install was fairly simple - just needed a 12mm triple box bit (never heard of it until I researched changing the wheel - it's common with Audi's, BMW, etc), the proper airbag & harnesses and it went in without problems.

Car has been great so far, no issues. I'm being religious with oil changes and am due for new brakes all around - just waiting for when the weather warms up.

A great DD and fun sports car all wrapped up in one package.  ;)

Northernridge

« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2014, 10:37:07 am »
That wheel is awesome...I love steering wheel design. Well, some examples anyway.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2014, 10:59:48 am »
Terrific work. Love that wheel as well.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2014, 11:29:45 am »
Nice!

So when are you changing your user name to RS4Dalf?  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2110
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: New Audi RS4 owner
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2014, 01:08:25 pm »

Flat bottom vs stock:

I love the flat bottom wheel....looks awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline RS4Dalf

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2014, 11:41:13 pm »
Nice!

So when are you changing your user name to RS4Dalf?  ;D

rofl