Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf  (Read 8127 times)

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
Re: First Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 12:38:43 pm »
I few years ago I compared the CR reliability ratings of Mexican and German manufactured VWs. There wasn't any correlation. One of the least reliable models was assembled in Germany, one of the most reliable was hecho en Mexico.
where its made is generally quite irrelevant...what is important is how its made and with what...many auto plants have seen significant investment in new automation and equipment...the robots that assemble much of the vehicle on the line are the same regardless of what country they are actually in.

You're all forgetting the horrible reliability of the Gen 4 Golf/Jetta in North America.  The windows would fall through, the seats would loosen up, etc.  Anything where the final bolt was humanly done was horrible coming from Mexico. This is the exact reason why VW has gained such a bad rap quality wise and deservedly so.  I would ONLY buy a VW made in Germany or just maybe North America.  Mexico - not ever.  If I want good Chinese food, I'll go to an exclusively Chinese restaurant, know what I mean...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 01:20:25 pm »
Not necessarily...Just one example - Honda Fit bulet reputation is for a car (at least until 2012) ...built in China! Got it?

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 02:23:24 pm »
Not necessarily...Just one example - Honda Fit bulet reputation is for a car (at least until 2012) ...built in China! Got it?

What's a "bulet"?  I'm talking about VW 4th gen.  And I'm talking about their manufacturing in "Mexico".  And while some Fits are built in China, ALL North American Fits are built in "Japan".  Check your facts before responding.  Got it?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 03:16:48 pm »

What's a "bulet"?  I'm talking about VW 4th gen.  And I'm talking about their manufacturing in "Mexico".  And while some Fits are built in China, ALL North American Fits are built in "Japan".  Check your facts before responding.  Got it?

No.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/11/capsule-review-honda-fit-made-in-china-edition/

And as I said before, when I looked, the least reliable VW wsa built in Germany and one of the best was built in Mexico.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 04:07:59 pm »
I few years ago I compared the CR reliability ratings of Mexican and German manufactured VWs. There wasn't any correlation. One of the least reliable models was assembled in Germany, one of the most reliable was hecho en Mexico.
where its made is generally quite irrelevant...what is important is how its made and with what...many auto plants have seen significant investment in new automation and equipment...the robots that assemble much of the vehicle on the line are the same regardless of what country they are actually in.

You're all forgetting the horrible reliability of the Gen 4 Golf/Jetta in North America.  The windows would fall through, the seats would loosen up, etc.  Anything where the final bolt was humanly done was horrible coming from Mexico. This is the exact reason why VW has gained such a bad rap quality wise and deservedly so.  I would ONLY buy a VW made in Germany or just maybe North America.  Mexico - not ever.  If I want good Chinese food, I'll go to an exclusively Chinese restaurant, know what I mean...

That very well may have been the case with gen 4, and that was the biggest drawback for me buying a Golf wagon built in Mexico.  However I did some research and found that the plant there was completly revamped in time for the 2007 models and is now a state of the art plant.  Since the 2007 model, Jettas, particularly with the 2.5 engine, have been quite  reliable and well screwed together.   So, I decided to buy a 2010 Golf wagon, which is basically a previous gen Jetta with a Golf front end, and take a chance.  I have no regrets.  It is the first car I've ever owned that I've never needed a repair or adjustment in three years of operation let alone the first few weeks, which is much more than I can say for the 2004 and 2008 Camrys I leased before. 

Also I don't know why the 2.5 gas engine gets such a bad rap.  It is the quietest and smoothest idling and running engine I've ever had in a vehicle.  Granted it does emit a characteristic growel when revved up, but I like it better than the buzz of a typical 4 cylinder engine.  And it gets better mileage than any of the 4 cyl Camrys I've had.  Just sayin it like it is!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 04:11:35 pm »
I would ONLY buy a VW made in Germany or just maybe North America.  Mexico - not ever.  If I want good Chinese food, I'll go to an exclusively Chinese restaurant, know what I mean...

Isn't Mexico in North America? :think:

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 04:12:27 pm »
I would ONLY buy a VW made in Germany or just maybe North America.  Mexico - not ever.  If I want good Chinese food, I'll go to an exclusively Chinese restaurant, know what I mean...

Shhhhh....no one has told him. I guess they spelled NAFTA wrong too......  ;)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 04:34:29 pm »
I always think of the US Mexico border as the start of South America...the point where they stop speaking English and start speaking Spanish. I know that is wrong.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:25 pm »
I always think of the US Mexico border as the start of South America...the point where they stop speaking English and start speaking Spanish. I know that is wrong.

If you go by language, it's well north of the US-Mexican border now. Just sayin'.  ;D

Offline Bernie

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 01:15:12 am »
VW has been treating the Golf like Honda has the Civic. Minor adjustments and design tweaks.  New Model please. and can we have some real engines too? For a company that wants to be King of the automotive world.. its sure letting the Koreans play catch up. have you seen the new 2014 kia cee'd?

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 10:16:13 am »

No.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/11/capsule-review-honda-fit-made-in-china-edition/

And as I said before, when I looked, the least reliable VW wsa built in Germany and one of the best was built in Mexico.

You can read, right?  To quote your article, ..."TTAC’s fascination with all things Chinese mandates that we get our hands on the first Chinese car to be sold on North American shores, lest we betray our mandate."  This means it's NOT HERE YET.  This means that ALL FITS in NA are coming from Japan.  Thanks for helping me prove my point.

Also, from YOUR article, "Honda has been sending Chinese Fits to Europe for years, and while some of the materials may be sub-par inside, things like panel gaps, paint quality and other little details are all up to the same standards as any other Honda – including the Japanese built Fits I’ve seen"...Once again, NO MENTION OF CHINESE FITS to NORTH AMERICA - only Europe - and even those are CRAP...according to YOUR article.  You can cease your useless argument anytime now.  I'm right, you're wrong...and it's ok...I am not always right myself, but this time I am.  Try harder next time.  Have a nice weekend.

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 10:18:37 am »

You got me there.  Good point...but you know what I mean - let's say I meant "Canada" then...my mistake.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 11:19:22 am »

No.

You can read, right?  To quote your article, ..."TTAC’s fascination with all things Chinese mandates that we get our hands on the first Chinese car to be sold on North American shores, lest we betray our mandate."  This means it's NOT HERE YET.  This means that ALL FITS in NA are coming from Japan.  Thanks for helping me prove my point.

Also, from YOUR article, "Honda has been sending Chinese Fits to Europe for years, and while some of the materials may be sub-par inside, things like panel gaps, paint quality and other little details are all up to the same standards as any other Honda – including the Japanese built Fits I’ve seen"...Once again, NO MENTION OF CHINESE FITS to NORTH AMERICA - only Europe - and even those are CRAP...according to YOUR article.  You can cease your useless argument anytime now.  I'm right, you're wrong...and it's ok...I am not always right myself, but this time I am.  Try harder next time.  Have a nice weekend.

LOL. Quoted for hilarity.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/new-cars/auto-news/japanese-subcompact-cars-now-made-in-china/article534926/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/21/business/in-a-first-chinese-built-cars-arrive-in-north-america.html?_r=0

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 12:19:49 pm »

LOL. Quoted for hilarity.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/new-cars/auto-news/japanese-subcompact-cars-now-made-in-china/article534926/

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/21/business/in-a-first-chinese-built-cars-arrive-in-north-america.html?_r=0

Japanese subcompact cars ... now made in China 

GREG KEENAN - AUTO INDUSTRY REPORTER

TOKYO — The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Dec. 13 2011, 7:29 PM EST

Last updated Thursday, Sep. 06 2012, 11:02 AM EDT

When the Freedom Ace unloaded a fleet of new vehicles at the port of Vancouver this month, it marked the start of a transformation of the auto industry in Canada.

The Mitsui O.S.K. Lines cargo ship – capacity 6,400 cars – was carrying the first made-in-China vehicles for the Canadian market. But they’re not from the Chinese auto makers that have shown up regularly at auto shows in Detroit and elsewhere promising they will soon start shipping their vehicles to North America

:rofl2:

For those curious, Chinese cars' IDs begin with "L", while Japanese models' are "J". 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:27:17 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »