Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 822711 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #760 on: November 06, 2014, 05:52:57 pm »
Tested out Redbox as there were a couple of movies that haven't hit Netflix that we wanted to see. Nice to be able to check online and reserve before walking over to pick up the movie(s). Cheap as BD's are only $2 and they have free (Thursdays) dvd movie night in November (BD pay 50 cents I think). Will work out well for movies we want to see before they get to Netflix. I've read that some studios cut corners on rental BDs by not including lossless sound or removing features but the two I rented looked complete to me.

Kick Ass 2 (BD from Rexbox) -- I was disappointed with this and thought the crude/raw dialogue took away from this movie. Also really disappointed in the sound. Seemed to be heavily compressed so there was only loud and very loud, terrible quality. I guess now that music is heavily compressed why not movies also.  :-\

Warm Bodies (BD from Redbox) -- I laughed a lot during this movie but I have a weird sense of humour. Different (?) approach to the zombie films. Funny thing is the sound in this was 10x better than KA2 and there wasn't anything special about it, just quality mixing.

Looper (Netflix) -- Ok movie and filled my time which is what I wanted. Incredible sound that will test your system, hope you have lots of headroom for those shotgun blasts. That first one had me jump out of my seat. Turn it up!

Edge of Tomorrow (BD - bought) -- I'm a sucker for a descent film that has reverence quality picture and sound and this one knocks it out of the park. The bass sweep at the beginning of the movie could take out your sub if you have it too loud and the rest of the movie did not disappoint. I didn't know what to expect with the 'repetition' of the day through the movie but I think they did a good job at it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 06, 2014, 06:14:10 pm »

Looper (Netflix) -- Ok movie and filled my time which is what I wanted. Incredible sound that will test your system, hope you have lots of headroom for those shotgun blasts. That first one had me jump out of my seat. Turn it up!

Would have been a better movie if he killed the kid.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #762 on: November 06, 2014, 06:33:44 pm »
Fury - Pretty good. WWII is obviously overdone but a story centred around tanks is at least somewhat fresh and the cast was great. A bit cliched in some ways but quite entertaining nonetheless.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #763 on: November 06, 2014, 06:39:00 pm »
just couldn't get motivated to get off my butt last night, and "ninja assassin" was on tv...

super over the top fake gore and such, but still done well... good choreography in the fight scenes no matter how ridiculous that may be...

predictable, unrealistic, overstylized.... but exactly what you go in expecting, if not a little better.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #764 on: November 07, 2014, 09:22:18 am »
just couldn't get motivated to get off my butt last night, and "ninja assassin" was on tv...

super over the top fake gore and such, but still done well... good choreography in the fight scenes no matter how ridiculous that may be...

predictable, unrealistic, overstylized.... but exactly what you go in expecting, if not a little better.

I liked that movie too. I keep waiting for them to put it on Netflix so I can watch it again.
I used to watch all those old American Ninja type movies. No one expected plot or oscar worthy acting. As long as it delivers what it promises enjoy!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: November 07, 2014, 09:41:03 am »
I liked that movie too. I keep waiting for them to put it on Netflix so I can watch it again.

Ninja Assassin is on Netflix France. I'll have to check it out.

I liked Ninja 2: Shadow of a Tear (2013). Available on Netflix Canada, USA, UK, Ireland.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #766 on: November 08, 2014, 10:14:49 am »
We went to see this movie as part of a ski film festival and my daughter was THRILLED to meet and spend time talking to one of the feature skiers, Leah Evans.  If you're looking for women's ski stoke, this is the best movie I've ever seen.  And yeah, now we own it!!

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/prettyfaces

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: November 13, 2014, 06:57:40 am »
How To Train Your Dragon 2

A good follow up to the first movie. I thought there were a couple of spots that could have been shortened but otherwise really liked it. The details are simply amazing and caught myself just staring at them vs watching everything on the screen. Sound is also very good but didn't have the same impact as HTTYD1 which didn't pull any punches.

Its free movie day at Red Box so I might get Xmen (DOFP) or Need for Speed.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #768 on: November 13, 2014, 07:35:07 am »
Saw Interstellar in IMAX yesterday night. Very good movie, in line with 2001, 2010 and Contact.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: November 13, 2014, 08:43:26 am »
Saw Interstellar in IMAX yesterday night. Very good movie, in line with 2001, 2010 and Contact.

Did you find it too loud? Also, was your IMAX 70mm film?

I just read this review and it does have me interested in seeing the film (yes they actually used film for this) just for the technical aspects. Toronto has a 70mm film IMAX downtown.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movies-concerts-music-discussion/1758913-interstellar-imax-70mm-film.html

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #770 on: November 13, 2014, 09:55:51 am »
How To Train Your Dragon 2

A good follow up to the first movie. I thought there were a couple of spots that could have been shortened but otherwise really liked it. The details are simply amazing and caught myself just staring at them vs watching everything on the screen. Sound is also very good but didn't have the same impact as HTTYD1 which didn't pull any punches.

Its free movie day at Red Box so I might get Xmen (DOFP) or Need for Speed.

We watched this last night with the kids.  The best animated film I've seen in a while.  I really liked the first one and thought this one was on par. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: November 13, 2014, 10:15:01 am »

I saw that one too. Great movie. The wife found it a bit confusing with the "science stuff"

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #772 on: November 13, 2014, 11:03:40 am »
I admit to a weakness for movies that can be categorized as dumb-ass.  I was in the mood for such a movie the other night & was flipping through Netflix and found
"Someone Marry Barry".
What caught my eye about this one is it stars Tyler Labine as Barry.  Tyler is a pretty funny actor, and is Canadian, from Brampton ON to boot.

Tyler was in an earlier movie "Tucker & Dale vs Evil" which I found hilarious, even my wife found it funny & she doesn't appreciate the genius of dumb-ass like I do. 
That movie also starred Alan Tudyk, who is also a really funny character actor - this scene with the wood chipper has me in tears whenever I see it still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ib7rDds5jk

Anyway...Someone Marry Barry had a few pretty good laughs in it -- recommended if you're in the mood for time-waster goofy comedy.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #773 on: November 13, 2014, 05:41:23 pm »

Did you find it too loud? Also, was your IMAX 70mm film?

I just read this review and it does have me interested in seeing the film (yes they actually used film for this) just for the technical aspects. Toronto has a 70mm film IMAX downtown.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movies-concerts-music-discussion/1758913-interstellar-imax-70mm-film.html

Yes 70mm film. We were in the last, top row of the theater and it was just perfect.  A few sequences are quite loud (seats were actually shaking in some scenes) but the majority of the film is just fine on that aspect. And the music is sublime! My wife enjoyed it too!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:44:11 pm by Guy »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #774 on: November 17, 2014, 02:24:51 pm »
Best Horror Movies (Rotten Tomatoes)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/best-horror-movies/

The Dead Zone?  Misery?  Really?  Sorry..those aren't horror movies.

As I aside, I have been going through a list of "very scary" horror movies I saw on another site.  I continue to be unimpressed.  I don't scare easily, so maybe it's just me.

In the last week I've watched:

Paranormal Activity
Mama
Insidious
Splinter

Anyone have some recommendations that (hopefully) will scare the crap out of me?

Once you're an adult, movies aren't that scary, they're just movies after all.

One that I know gives me the heebie jeebies is the Grudge, either version.  The Ring is also good in this respect.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #775 on: November 17, 2014, 02:43:34 pm »
Oh and Wolf Creek.  It was loosley based on Ivan Milat's escapades.  If you like a good read...

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/milat/discovery_1.html

There was no injury to the skull. The chest and back showed numerous stab wounds to the left and right sides, front and back, including the "tell-tale" knife thrusts to the spinal area, which had severed the spinal column completely.

I have only watched the DVD once.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: November 17, 2014, 06:19:49 pm »

Hmmmm...you had me until you lumped "Contact" into that group...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: November 17, 2014, 06:22:22 pm »

Its much better than Contact. But I can see why it would be categorized with it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: November 17, 2014, 06:28:49 pm »

Its much better than Contact. But I can see why it would be categorized with it.

I hope it's better than Contact...geez.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #779 on: November 19, 2014, 10:11:12 am »
watched "rio 2" the other night... huge amount of talent in the voices... recognized a lot of people. the animation was amazing of course as all these new ones are...

only negative i took away is the reversal of the damsel in distress type format in regard to the humans in the movie... the male lead is a bumbling fool who you just want to slap... makes you wonder why the girl would be with, and stay with a guy that incompetent... i step back and say, "it's just a cartoon, simmer down!"... but then i see that kids are the ones watching getting an idea that maybe that is what a good relationship looks like...

ah well.. still enjoyable. my kids loved the music and bright colours.