Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Toyota RAV4  (Read 31879 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: First Drive: 2013 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 02:36:44 pm »
The speculation about a future Rav4 hybrid is interesting.  Ford's new Escape just dropped the hybrid version, and Ford seems adamant that there will not be another Escape Hybrid.  Backing that up are numbers showing the hybrid version was only a few percent of sales.  Like 3% in 2009.

It's not speculation.  Toyota Motor made the announcement some 6 months ago.  The Venza and the Rav are the next up.  It just remains to be seen what kind of power setup the Rav will receive.  If it is the 2.5 Hybrid version it will be silly fast.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 02:37:48 pm »
I am a Subaru loyalist.  I am biased.  Toyota is a part-stake owner of Subaru.  It seems like there's a lot of part sharing with the new Forester (i.e. memory height rear hatch, close cargo capacities, base engine power, etc).

Uh...that is not "part sharing".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 02:42:36 pm »

To some, this may sound like blasphemy, but for once I'd consider a FWD Forester.

That is.  :bang:

AWD isn't only good for snow, and not all AWDs are made the same!  There are countless videos on Youtube showing that Subaru's excellently balanced chassis handles emergency maneuvers better.  AWD sells in many cars for performance reasons, safety, and yes, snow capabilities.  Do you need it?  No...but why would you look for a car built around its AWD platform in FWD configuration?  Besides, the fuel penalty for AWD is no longer a valid concern - NA 2014 Forester gets better fuel economy with the CVT than 2013 Rav4 in FWD.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:47:22 pm by NoTo »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 02:44:32 pm »
I am a Subaru loyalist.  I am biased.  Toyota is a part-stake owner of Subaru.  It seems like there's a lot of part sharing with the new Forester (i.e. memory height rear hatch, close cargo capacities, base engine power, etc).

Uh...that is not "part sharing".

True enough - fixed.  My intent was more towards "competitive similarities"

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 02:45:36 pm »
^^ Never said it was only good for snow, for control in all emergency maneuvers an AWD would be great to have.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 02:50:41 pm »
The speculation about a future Rav4 hybrid is interesting.  Ford's new Escape just dropped the hybrid version, and Ford seems adamant that there will not be another Escape Hybrid.  Backing that up are numbers showing the hybrid version was only a few percent of sales.  Like 3% in 2009.

It's not speculation.  Toyota Motor made the announcement some 6 months ago.  The Venza and the Rav are the next up.  It just remains to be seen what kind of power setup the Rav will receive.  If it is the 2.5 Hybrid version it will be silly fast.

I remember reading sometime ago that Toyota wanted to have a hybrid version across the entire model lineup. If they can fit the electric motor alongside that 2.5l 4, it would be fast, fuel efficient and would sell well knowing the same powertrain is offered in a Lexus model. There wouldn't be a need for the V6 at all - similar power with killer fuel efficiency - two birds with one stone.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 02:54:34 pm »
AWD is superior for traction regardless of road conditions...

Summer traction:

AWD>RWD>FWD

Summer fun:

RWD>AWD>FWD

Winter traction:

AWD>RWD=FWD

Winter fun:

AWD>RWD>FWD

FWD seems to finish last a lot...

To be fair...

Minimizing manufacturing costs...

FWD>RWD>AWD

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 02:57:22 pm »

Summer traction:

AWD>RWD>FWD

Summer fun:

RWD>AWD>FWD

Winter traction:

AWD>RWD=FWD

Winter fun:

AWD>RWD>FWD

To be fair...

FWD>RWD>AWD

Well, honestly I cant think of a situation that FWD would be better than AWD. For summer fun though, you cant beat a RWD.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 03:17:41 pm »

Summer traction:

AWD>RWD>FWD

Summer fun:

RWD>AWD>FWD

Winter traction:

AWD>RWD=FWD

Winter fun:

AWD>RWD>FWD

To be fair...

FWD>RWD>AWD

One correction.  RWD is NOT equal to FWD when it comes to winter traction.  You need winter tires and traction control on RWD to try to match a FWD with a set of cheap all seasons.

FWD also is superior in interior space and can be a lot of fun in the snow if you have a handbrake and know how to drive it.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 03:22:19 pm »

They alluded the hybrid would be the upgrade motor to replace the v6.  I would guess it will be the 2.5

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 03:24:18 pm »

Summer traction:

AWD>RWD>FWD

Summer fun:

RWD>AWD>FWD

Winter traction:

AWD>RWD=FWD

Winter fun:

AWD>RWD>FWD

To be fair...

FWD>RWD>AWD

One correction.  RWD is NOT equal to FWD when it comes to winter traction.  You need winter tires and traction control on RWD to try to match a FWD with a set of cheap all seasons.

FWD also is superior in interior space and can be a lot of fun in the snow if you have a handbrake and know how to drive it.

Yeah, a handbrake can make it a little more fun, but you can maintain a drift and hoon a lot better with a RWD or AWD. As for traction, I wouldnt take a FWD or RWD without snow tires.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 03:30:59 pm »
It will be fast then and it should sell like hot cakes.  Can't see it available in AWD though.  Seems a bit much to install another motor on the rear axle in a RAV.  But you never know what engineering scheme Toyota has up their sleeve in the hybrid area.

Just a fun fact  ;D;   Prius was the top selling vehicle in California (2012).  A Toyota accounted for a little more than 1 out of every 5 vehicles sold (2012).

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 06:37:17 pm »
It will be fast then and it should sell like hot cakes.  Can't see it available in AWD though.  Seems a bit much to install another motor on the rear axle in a RAV.  But you never know what engineering scheme Toyota has up their sleeve in the hybrid area.

Although that's the way the Highlander Hybrid does it, the Escape Hybrid had a driveshaft to the rear end, not a third electric motor back there. While the Escape system was heavier, it did not suffer from overheating the third motor and reverting to fwd like the Highlander.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 06:46:02 pm »

Just try going up, or stopping and and starting again, on a steep uphill on snow or loose gravel.  The fwd shifts weight off the driving wheels as the grade steepens and the load increases, and when starting from a stop.  I'd guess that rwd traction benefits more from even weight distribution on the two driving wheels, and lower from torque forces.  No doubt fwd is better than rwd in some situations, but certainly not in some very important ones.  And as has been said, fwd cars are cheaper to make and are lighter and so get better mileage for same size car.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2013, 06:53:41 pm »

Just try going up, or stopping and and starting again, on a steep uphill on snow or loose gravel.  The fwd shifts weight off the driving wheels as the grade steepens and the load increases, and when starting from a stop.  I'd guess that rwd traction benefits more from even weight distribution on the two driving wheels, and lower from torque forces.  No doubt fwd is better than rwd in some situations, but certainly not in some very important ones.  And as has been said, fwd cars are cheaper to make and are lighter and so get better mileage for same size car.

:iagree: I had to back up many inclines in reverse with a FWD car when experiencing slippery conditions.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 07:07:10 pm »

Yes, exactly. I grew up with RWD and have pretty much driven them ever since and they suck in winter. They always did. We were amazed what the first FWD vehicles could go through when they came out, a buddy summed them up as 'a poor mans 4X4'.

To be fair, I think it's  more a matter of where the weight is than which wheels are driven. The big traction advantage of FWD is that engine block over the drive wheels.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 07:22:12 pm »

If it's steep enough for the weight to shift and stop a FWD then a RWD will just spin it's tires too.  For almost everything but high performance driving FWD is better then RWD... it's just not cool to say so.

Offline S. Aureus

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Subaru Outback 2014
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 07:46:43 pm »
In majority of driving situations, FWD is far more idiot-proof than either AWD or RWD.

A proper AWD drives waaay better than other drivetrains though  :P

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »
In majority of driving situations, FWD is far more idiot-proof than either AWD or RWD.

I call BS on that, if you lose the rear end of a FWD you are really screwed unless you really know what youre doing. AN AWD is much easier to catch and a rwd is much more predictable.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2013, 08:04:48 pm »

FWD cars inherently understeer which causes the driver to naturally back off.