Author Topic: Long-Term Wrap-Up: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring  (Read 16652 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Wrap-Up: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring
« on: February 08, 2013, 06:28:59 am »

The Subaru XV Crosstrek set out to prove it is more than just a high-riding Impreza, and after three months, it succeeded.

Read More...

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
Re: Long-Term Wrap-Up: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Touring
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 07:35:42 am »
If I buy new, this Subie will be on my list.....and in this color too. You would not lose it in a parking lot.   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:54:36 am »
Perfect day for one of these today.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 08:19:57 am »

I know, but I gave it back :(   Guess I'll HAVE to drive the EX 37 instead ;D

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:35:17 am »
The XV is going to need more merits than just it's AWD system. When Subbie first made it big in the AWD world they had few competitors but since then many players have come on board.

Wife has a Forester but I'll put my RWD Volvo with snows against it anytime. Today in the GTA being proof. I was only 10 min late and left at the same time as usual.

Suburu has to do more than just repackage a legacy in order to attract new or even past buyers back.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:24:32 am »
   I don't care about AWD but this seems like a solid choice and would be even just 2WD IMO. Cost would be down a bit do you think. Anyway that being said I like it a lot and wonder if the harder suspension could be made more friendly using Nivomats instead of too hard springs. These gas self levelling shocks work with softer springing and substitute just the required gas pressure to keep the ride height constant whatever the load. Wallah...reduced vehicle load...softer springing and completely seemless.
   I understand the pricepoint here and like the format and appreciate the engineering. A nice package and well reported and who knows one might hopefully find a place on my driveway. Incidentally the Nivomats that come with the Tow Package on the Caravan give a very nice and controlled ride.

Offline PhiDelt

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW X1, BMW 325CI, 2013 Ford Taurus
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:06 am »

I know, but I gave it back :(   Guess I'll HAVE to drive the EX 37 instead ;D

Mike, the EX is a blast. A hot rod SUV, I just picked one up this week . HAHA the interior and ride and seats will be night and day with XV. Enjoy.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 01:13:03 pm »
The XV is going to need more merits than just it's AWD system. When Subbie first made it big in the AWD world they had few competitors but since then many players have come on board.

But I don't think there many at this price point, especially at the base Impreza level.

The more I see these things the more I like the looks and mostly b/c I think those rims work well with the raised height profile.

Like the looks I do. Size matters not. Look at the XV. Judge it by it's size, do you?  Hmm?  Hmm.  And well you should not.  For it's ally is the AWD, and a powerful ally it is. But, the CVT clouds everything. Impossible to see the light, the future is.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 04:08:35 pm »
nice to see a "base model" get reviewed as well...while it doesn't have leather and all the toys, the base XV pretty much gives you everything you need to start with, including BT and heated seats (that's a reference for the Verano thread :rofl:  ).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:30 pm »
Drove my Corolla (with proper snow tires) from Toronto to Guelph last night between the snows...despite the highways being cleared and salted, the Corolla did not inspire a ton of confidence.

Got to Guelph, slept, and woke up this morning to snow over the bumper of the Corolla.  Got in the 2011 Forester XT Limited with Blizzaks, turned it on, let the wiper de-icer do its magic, and drove off the driveway without having shovelled.  Drove to the gym, was one of 10 people there, and didn't slip at all.

Come April, my Corolla's being traded in.  No question about it.  RWD/FWD + Snow tires does not equal Subaru's ability on these roads.  I CAN make it around in my Corolla...but why should I when I can do it better, faster, warmer, and more comfortably in the Forester?

If the XV is ANYTHING like the Forester (and we know it's based on the same platform), then it's a well-sized (thank you for the Box test), well-priced, efficient (unlike the current Fozzie XT - 11.6 L/100km on premium juice), and fun to drive machine.  Since I already have a Fozzie, I may actually cross-shop the XV or Impreza hatch to see what size really fits.  Great long-term article, hope you enjoyed!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 05:36:19 pm »
^^ Thats my point, FWD/RWD+snow tires can get you around.....but Id much rather have the security of AWD and winter tires.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 08:33:44 pm »
 :iagree: I can't help but wonder if the naysayers with regards to AWD are just people who have never had the pleasure of driving one often in miserable conditions.

When I had a WRX I actually looked forward to winter storms because it was just fun to drive in the snow. I don't think I'd feel the same about any FWD/RWD car.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 08:36:48 pm »
:iagree: I can't help but wonder if the naysayers with regards to AWD are just people who have never had the pleasure of driving one often in miserable conditions.

When I had a WRX I actually looked forward to winter storms because it was just fun to drive in the snow. I don't think I'd feel the same about any FWD/RWD car.

Yep. I did just that this afternoon.  Took an extra long lunch just to go out and play. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 08:38:21 pm »

:fiver: Exactly.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 08:57:24 pm »

A short clip on City News of cars getting stuck on windrows on expressway exits. An A4 probabaly a Quattro just came through the shot with no signs of effort...I bet he had snow tires as well as AWD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 09:45:43 pm »

Im not saying FWD are useless, theyre ok in icy conditions. Saying that, if I had the choice when buying a vehicle I couldnt imagine saying no to the AWD/4X4 option, I love the security of it. When we get a storm, I like having the security of being able to go anywhere, anytime without having to worry about if the snow is too deep.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 12:28:58 pm »
If AWD is so much better, then why do I see so many SUV's in the ditch during snow storms.  I'd say it's a false sense of security.  Any vehicle will lose it's grip if it's pushed hard enough in the snow, slush or even rain.  Drive for the conditions and snow tires are all one needs to navigate through the winter, which only last about 3 months these days.  If it's a blizzard out there, like it is here right now, the police ask everyone to stay off the roads anyway.  The rest of the year one doesn't have to carry around the extra weight and higher fuel consumption of an AWD/4x4.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 12:42:43 pm »
If AWD is so much better, then why do I see so many SUV's in the ditch during snow storms.
many people don't drive to match the conditions...many SUVs don't have winter tires as people think they don't need them because they have an "SUV/CUV"...many (mostly older) vehicles with AWD have a slip first, then grip type system (reactive vs proactive).

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 12:52:32 pm »
If AWD is so much better, then why do I see so many SUV's in the ditch during snow storms.
many people don't drive to match the conditions...many SUVs don't have winter tires as people think they don't need them because they have an "SUV/CUV"...many (mostly older) vehicles with AWD have a slip first, then grip type system (reactive vs proactive).

Hard to nail any particular reason why you see SUVs in the ditch. Perhaps as dj says, they're the ones who don't get winter tires because they have AWD, or perhaps they have the system that you have to actually turn on, and it was off, because 4X4 is just for getting you unstuck, didn't ya know?
Maybe it's because the people who don't have a choice about going to work in inclement weather can't just take a "snow day", and have to drive in crappy conditions.

By the ditched car counting logic you could also say that Corvettes are really good in the snow because you never see them in the ditch.  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 06:00:47 pm »
By the ditched car counting logic you could also say that Corvettes are really good in the snow because you never see them in the ditch.  ;D
yikes...freezing temps and fibreglass bodies are not a good mix.