Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Mazda6  (Read 21988 times)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
Re: First Drive: 2014 Mazda6
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 12:02:36 pm »
Not a bad car, actually pretty good but the sales won't take off until the diesel arrives. It's a conquest vehicle that will put a dent in the big 3 sales numbers.

I dunno about that.  From what.. Fusion?? Maybe a few.. then who else... Malibu?  200? 
I think this 6 will draw more from Accord/Camry shoppers... and I bet a bunch from prospective 3 buyers who wouldn't have even looked at the prev. generation 6

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 12:06:20 pm »
AWD + Turbo?  I'd sign up then

You wouldn't happen to be the author Justin would you?  It's tough to know who is who sometimes, like the contributors with over 10,000 posts, some have wrote articles, some have not...

No, Justin is MR2Pritch in he forums here.... I think it's neat that we have individuals in the forums that are established automotive writers (some from other sites), as well as industry insiders, dealers, plus some interesting and outlandish characters, and am frequently impressed by the insights some people offer on cars. Every person has a different set of priorities when car-shopping, and it's nice to see a lot of these different views articulated, some so well that it is easy to see why we have had many contributions from forum members crossing over onto the Autos.ca (or Canadian Driver back in the day)... 
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 12:10:06 pm »
Here's my personal review on the 6 (photo snapped by me):

I dropped by a local on my way back from picking up construction material and to say hi to the guys who sold the Mazda 3 to me for a bit and they had a Mazda 6 GS with Luxury Package in their showroom. It's a beautiful car inside and out, well proportioned, everything feels right inside. The leather seats are well bolstered and are firm and supportive, while still comfortable. The only thing is that I've never a fan of sliding centre console arm rests but I guess people in this price range demand it? At least it has a solid feel to it when it slides, unlike the Civic.

The automatic HVAC controls feel great, there are hard plastics in the usual spots but like my Mazda 3 they are non obtrusive and do not diminish the upscale feel of the car, the rear seat is not VW Passat big but there is enough leg room and head room to sit very comfortably behind myself.

I was a bit disappointed they went with the cargo crushing trunk hinge, even though the hinges go into a chamber so there's no way it'll hurt whatever's inside the massive trunk, it made opening the trunk feel cheap compared to my 3. They did manage to maximize the width of the opening of the trunk so it's not a terrible thing.

Overall, this is a great car. With its Zoom Zoom DNA and what I think will be excellent fuel economy thanks to its Skyactiv platform, this is a great car to check out if you're in the market for a midsize sedan. This particular model with freight and PDI is $31,300? for both the automatic and manual transmissions.

Hopefully they return to 30,000+/year Canadian sales from the hey days of the first gen.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »
I find this car hot, glad this car is not giggly like the 3.  Good job Mazda....a+++  Is the the diesel option a for sure thing?

Northernridge

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 12:26:57 pm »
Not a bad car, actually pretty good but the sales won't take off until the diesel arrives. It's a conquest vehicle that will put a dent in the big 3 sales numbers.

I dunno about that.  From what.. Fusion?? Maybe a few.. then who else... Malibu?  200? 
I think this 6 will draw more from Accord/Camry shoppers... and I bet a bunch from prospective 3 buyers who wouldn't have even looked at the prev. generation 6

I agree. I don't think people shop the NA 3 plus Mazda. Mazda has to target Koreans first and then Japanese and their play with the 6 should be about style and not being the same as everyone else...plus a little zoom zoom for good measure. I could also see a few VW customers looking for a little more life then their Jetta is providing.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 12:43:28 pm »

Fusion and 6 are more enthusiast's cup of tea. The 6 won't steal any sales from the Camcord crowd. Those are the "sensible" ones who don't care much about manual transmissions.
Malibu, Fusion for sure (once the fuel savings proves to be a fluke and TC engine troubles linger), 200, Altima, some Korean shoppers (value shoppers). Maybe some 3 buyers but I personally doubt it - 3 is a "fun" car, 6 is more of a "stately" car.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 12:55:33 pm »
Love the car very much.  It's a huge improvement over the 2nd gen.  Too bad I won't be in a market for another sedan next time I get a new car...

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:04 pm »
Here's my personal review on the 6 (photo snapped by me):

I dropped by a local on my way back from picking up construction material and to say hi to the guys who sold the Mazda 3 to me for a bit and they had a Mazda 6 GS with Luxury Package in their showroom. It's a beautiful car inside and out, well proportioned, everything feels right inside. The leather seats are well bolstered and are firm and supportive, while still comfortable. The only thing is that I've never a fan of sliding centre console arm rests but I guess people in this price range demand it? At least it has a solid feel to it when it slides, unlike the Civic.

The automatic HVAC controls feel great, there are hard plastics in the usual spots but like my Mazda 3 they are non obtrusive and do not diminish the upscale feel of the car, the rear seat is not VW Passat big but there is enough leg room and head room to sit very comfortably behind myself.

I was a bit disappointed they went with the cargo crushing trunk hinge, even though the hinges go into a chamber so there's no way it'll hurt whatever's inside the massive trunk, it made opening the trunk feel cheap compared to my 3. They did manage to maximize the width of the opening of the trunk so it's not a terrible thing.

Overall, this is a great car. With its Zoom Zoom DNA and what I think will be excellent fuel economy thanks to its Skyactiv platform, this is a great car to check out if you're in the market for a midsize sedan. This particular model with freight and PDI is $31,300? for both the automatic and manual transmissions.

Hopefully they return to 30,000+/year Canadian sales from the hey days of the first gen.

Like your (brief) review. Quite informative. And the car really looks hot. Hope it does very well in Canada. Too bad there is no V6 option.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:55 pm »
I find this car hot, glad this car is not giggly like the 3.  Good job Mazda....a+++  Is the the diesel option a for sure thing?
+1. Kudos to Mazda for making the smily grill look good on the 6

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 01:23:55 pm »
"...there was a surprising amount of wind noise, some specifically seeming to come from the rear-window area..." - the implementation of Jinba Ittai - it even sounds like you are riding along on a horse!

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 01:31:16 pm »
I really like what Mazda is bringing to the table recently with their whole "Skyactive" philosophy - though I hate the name I like the concept. Lighter more efficient vehicles. The Mazda 3 if I'm not mistaken is quite a bit lighter than the previous gen. I don't believe the article mentioned curb weight on this thing? Would be interesting to know.

I'm not crazy about the looks myself. That hood looks like it goes on forever in pics. Sounds like the rear trunk actually has a "useful" opening. Trunk space hasn't been much of an issue when we were looking at sedans but the OPENING however seems to be the real issue. Everyone wants these small openings at the back I'm guessing for "cleaner" lines - but you can't fit anything in them. If you could get past the opening most of these trunks swallow just as much as a small SUV - glad to see Mazda is making an attempt at rectifying that issue.

I was always a huge fan of the Mazdaspeed 6's - maybe in year 3 for a mid-cycle refresh? I mean they are still using the same motor in the Speed 3 are they not? AWD might be a bit tougher if they didn't plan for it but with the size of that hood you could probably rent out some space under the hood to a college student and still have room in there for a bigger motor and AWD parts.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:32:51 pm by Spec5 »
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 03:03:15 pm »
I really like what Mazda is bringing to the table recently with their whole "Skyactive" philosophy - though I hate the name I like the concept. Lighter more efficient vehicles. The Mazda 3 if I'm not mistaken is quite a bit lighter than the previous gen. I don't believe the article mentioned curb weight on this thing? Would be interesting to know.

The article does mention the weight
This base engine is in the sweet spot for a car weighing in at 1,444 kg to 1,466 kg
  (around 3250lbs) lightest in its class...

Thanks Jonathan for sorting the forum name for Justin, and you are right it makes it interesting contributors from different websites adding their two cents.  Just wish I knew their names, like does Jim Kenzie come on here for instance? 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 03:19:47 pm »
The Euro model Mazda 6 starts at less than 3,000 lb for a base 6 speed manual and 2.0L Skyactiv. Probably all the additional safety features they had to add for the North American market, and a little bit for the bigger engine.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 07:30:56 pm »
Excellent article Jonathan, I look forward to testing the 2.2 Diesel this summer.
That's a tough choice Solstice, word has it that the Nissan Joke is "eager as a Playful puppy" and "a joy to drive"

And don't forget it's beautiful right? Hehehe...You and I may be the only ones here to share that sentiment...There are quite a few Jukes around here..They're selling pretty well...This Mazda seems like a winner..But no AWD...like Mr. Juke   Jack

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 08:31:11 pm »
+1. Kudos to Mazda for making the smily grill look good on the 6

The smiley grill is gone for all new vehicles (since the CX-5). Now they'll have the new "Kodo" design grill going forward. The Mazda3 is up next for plastic surgery.

Is the the diesel option a for sure thing?

Yes. With over 300 pounds of torque.

Looks like a winner - finally, a 6spd manual available at the highest of trim levels.  Great looking car too, I see this car in my future.

A manual is available for the GT trim??  Gee, I didn't even bother to check, not expecting it to be!

Now I want this car! (with the diesel engine). Too bad I am not car shopping. Plus I don't even need a sedan! Damn.   :rofl2:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:32:52 pm by Julie »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 10:12:48 pm »
In LA, Mazda did say the diesel will be available in manual and auto for North America.  Sold!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 10:16:09 pm »
I just quickly did a search on the manual transmission. Since we Canucks get it in all trim lines, unlike in the US where it is relegated to the base trim only - one of the rare times it's better to be a Canadian shopper.

We first sampled a base Sport model equipped with the six-speed manual and were delighted with the gearbox operation. The shifts were crisp and bordered on Miata-like with short throws, while the lightly weighted clutch was easy to work. The hill-hold assist was also appreciated on a few occasions.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130204/carreviews/130209922#ixzz2KGwPBWzW

The six-speed manual is a star, too, snicking neatly from gear to gear, with short throws and neat clutch takeup.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1082084_2014-mazda-6-first-drive

The shift-for-yourself version, for its part, has been revised with shorter shift throws and enhancements to its already precise engagements...manipulating the six-speed manual.... is rewarding.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mazda-6-25l-first-drive-review-zoom-zoom-lives-page-1

In addition to our very own Jonathan Yarkony's thoughts:

The manual transmission has also been redesigned for more efficient packaging, shorter throws, and better feel. Check, check, check. The clutch is light, but linear, with good feel for the point of engaging, and the throws are light enough to be tolerable for stop-and-go commutes, with a bit of notchiness just to remind you there is a mechanical action underneath – this is the company that builds the MX-5/Miata, home to one of the best shift linkages extant, and it shows.

I am liking more and more what this car stands for.  :thumbup:

Offline takwu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 12:36:45 am »
as mentioned above, manual has always been available on the last Mazda 6 with 2.5L.  I am happy it is _still_ available, but it's not like its a new thing...

everyone was comparing it to the accord or Camry etc, except for one who mentioned the optima and sonata.  the optima with 2.5L is the direct competition here, with an emphasis on sportiness and style.  personally I am attracted by the much lower price of the base optima with manual, which does lack things like leather steering.  factor in kia's discounts, and it's a tough sell for the Mazda.

the skyactive engine is once again disappointing with similar output compared to most competition, which is inferior to gdi - 200hp in the much cheaper optima...

don't get me wrong, I like Mazda, specially before ford, and I am still wishing a 'comeback' after ford.  the 6 looks a good car, but I still remember the last 626, a family car that could be (and was) entered into a race.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 08:36:34 am »
as mentioned above, manual has always been available on the last Mazda 6 with 2.5L.  I am happy it is _still_ available, but it's not like its a new thing...

everyone was comparing it to the accord or Camry etc, except for one who mentioned the optima and sonata.  the optima with 2.5L is the direct competition here, with an emphasis on sportiness and style.  personally I am attracted by the much lower price of the base optima with manual, which does lack things like leather steering.  factor in kia's discounts, and it's a tough sell for the Mazda.

the skyactive engine is once again disappointing with similar output compared to most competition, which is inferior to gdi - 200hp in the much cheaper optima...

don't get me wrong, I like Mazda, specially before ford, and I am still wishing a 'comeback' after ford.  the 6 looks a good car, but I still remember the last 626, a family car that could be (and was) entered into a race.

You're going to need to compare things a little better.  HP doesn't tell the full story.  Mazda's engine produces peak torque at a lower RPM which makes the acceleration more immediate as well as more useful.  Kia's peak torque comes a full 1000 rpm higher and the horsepower peak is 600 rpm higher.  How often are you going up to 6300 RPM? Combine that with Mazda's automatic which has less losses because the torque converter locks up after 8 kph, and it is actually putting down more of it's power and torque than a competitive auto/cvt.  Plus the fact that it is lighter than most of the competition and you can get it in manual in more trims than base.  Not to mention, the diesel will likely accelerate faster.  As well, driving dynamics (steering feel, handling) will be fantastic compared to most of the competition (including the Koreans).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:13:35 am by mixmanmash »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 01:27:14 pm »
My dealer mentioned November/December release for Skyactiv Diesel. They're still working out the kinks with North America's lower quality diesel fuel.

I am a Skyactiv Mazda 3 owner. I've never felt it to be anemic. The Mazda 6 has preliminary 0-60 of 7.5 seconds, vs. 7.7 seconds in the Sonata/Optima.

BTW, Kia and Hyundai discontinued manual Optimas/Sonatas for 2013.