Author Topic: Comparison Test: Mini-Crossover SUVs  (Read 21916 times)

Northernridge

Re: Comparison Test: Mini-Crossover SUVs
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 10:44:05 am »
Mini-crossovers – nice topic for a comparison – not overdone (seriously). Radom comments:

Would've been helpful to hear a little more about the criteria at the beginning – after reading the Juke review I thought consensus styling and utility were important (Juke scored poorly here and finished last) but you go on to emphasize handling/performance of other vehicles and seemingly score them high for it.

Premium fuel in a mini CUV (Juke)? WTF? It deserves last place just for this. Also any CUV with serious interior space problems is F'd up.

When Mitsu provides the most expensive vehicle for a comparison it's easy to understand why the brand is failing. Also you levelled more criticism at the Mitsu than the Juke so I am unclear why it placed ahead...seems like you guys just didn't like the Juke...which is fine.

Thanks for the Manitoba reference.

It's a significant footnote that it took two Trax to complete the test. Since it finished 2nd it's sort of like passing a student even though they failed.

Subaru wins the gas mile contest, good on them!

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 10:47:43 am »
JRM is right regarding forgotten Matrix/Vibe duo. I just wana add this is the only group of vehicles in the class with right price! They are little bit boring and obsolete...but reliable and with good resale value!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 10:48:48 am »
The Juke has always baffled me, it was ugly, very tiny and was CVT.....no wonder I hardly see any out on the roads.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 11:13:00 am »

It's a significant footnote that it took two Trax to complete the test. Since it finished 2nd it's sort of like passing a student even though they failed.

Grading on a bell curve?  LOL!   :D
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 11:19:35 am »
Nice article. The Subaru is a sharp vehicle, wouldn't mind driving that around at all.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 11:30:44 am »
Another great comparison guys.  Keep it up!

It seems to me that this is a pretty underwhelming class as a whole, at least in terms of fuel economy, value, and performance.  Maybe the inherent compromises of adding AWD and increased ride height has more drawbacks in a subcompact, compared to larger vehicles?  Or possibly that it just hasn't been done properly yet?  The upcoming Honda subcompact crossover could hit the sweet spot here...

I get the desire for increased ground clearance (especially right now, with our awful snow-covered roads).  But it still seems to me the subcompact or compact hatches these crossovers were based on make more sense (or at least better value proposition) - i.e., Sonic over Trax, Impreza over XV, Accent hatch or Elantra GT over Tuscon, etc.  And if you don't want a small hatchback because you REALLY want AWD or more ground clearance, the slightly larger crossovers seem like a far more complete package.  But vehicles sales will be the final aribtor, as usual!

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 12:02:40 pm »
VERY surprised to see Chevy 2nd....even if it was earned ...umm...whats the word....via "tagteamed" (?). ")
The Subie just makes so much sense here in Winterland/Wonderland. I would seriously look at it if buying in future.   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 12:14:49 pm »
...the Juke, which can be fairly described as the demented love-child of a crocodile and a gummy bear...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That one made my day.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 12:36:49 pm »
I understand that the ground clearance is required for 4WD (Subaru don't seem to require it generally) but feel that this same ground clearance could be used for improved seating facilities without the same. So that the envelope could be applied to just regular 2WD hatchback cars with more elegant entry and exit facilities. Hmm..I suppose the Matrix is this. Ah well...

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 01:13:38 pm »
Great review. The pricing of these smaller vehicles (not just in this test) is a bit of a surprise to me with most or all of them above $30k. Smaller size no longer equates to 'affordability' as we saw with the $43k Escape. I was interested to read of the Crosstrek's good cargo carrying capacity, as it doesn't look like it would win that category. Subaru's full time AWD combined with the excellent fuel numbers are a great combination and all trim levels are available with a manual transmission (albeit a 5 speed). The base version starts at $24,500.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 01:14:32 pm »
...the Juke, which can be fairly described as the demented love-child of a crocodile and a gummy bear...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That one made my day.

Ditto, plus 1000.

:fiver:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 01:15:57 pm »
i've always liked the XV...good to see it doing well.

and i don't see a problem with the Trax...i mean, a broken clamp on a rad hose is not really a big deal...sure, you can't drive the vehicle, but i mean, it's a hose clamp, not an engine fire we're talking about here.

good to see the Trax finish second, it looks like a decent vehicle as well...perhaps some day, they'll sell it in the US as well.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 01:58:43 pm »
i've always liked the XV...good to see it doing well.

and i don't see a problem with the Trax...i mean, a broken clamp on a rad hose is not really a big deal...sure, you can't drive the vehicle, but i mean, it's a hose clamp, not an engine fire we're talking about here.

good to see the Trax finish second, it looks like a decent vehicle as well...perhaps some day, they'll sell it in the US as well.

That is pretty much the reason we didn't make a big deal about it.  It could happen to any car.  We have had far worse happen with press cars.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 02:03:30 pm »
The price climb on these things is somewhat shocking, especially if one hasn't looked at the prices in recent months / years.  A compact CUV type thing over $30,000 as par for the course?  Yikes.

What makes it even more amazing is to realize that, as a result of the increases, there can now be a significant overlap of pricing between these cute 'utes' and their larger siblings.  Imagine buying the mid or full size SUV from a given company for the same or even less money than its tiny stablemate.

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 02:18:02 pm »
I wouldn't say that we actively disliked the Juke, in fact, it's a fun little buggy to spend some time with. But in comparison to the rest of the group, it was sorely lacking in utility.
BTW, I might as well own up that I was the guilty party who broke the Trax. ;D ;D
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 02:26:59 pm »
I wouldn't say that we actively disliked the Juke, in fact, it's a fun little buggy to spend some time with. But in comparison to the rest of the group, it was sorely lacking in utility.
BTW, I might as well own up that I was the guilty party who broke the Trax. ;D ;D

You are called Leadfoot Lesley after all 

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 02:29:51 pm »
That poor wee hose clamp was no match for my heavy foot  :P

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 05:02:40 pm »
love the little Trax. Starting to sell well here at our dealership. Young suburbanites/urbanites love them. The Encore, which we should get in a week or two, will amp things up even more - and the premium is not as much as one would think actually as they can be had loaded for ~$33k. This vehicle really surprised me, and I hate CUVs.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 05:50:53 pm »

yeah, I for one did not dislike the Juke... I HATED it... okay maybe driving it was not bad, and the interior looks kind of funky (in a good way), but god, those headlights and weird shapes.... blugh...  :hurl:

i don't say this often, but I'd rather take the bus...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 06:37:26 pm »
I'm still sad I never got to fully experience my 88 Civic RT4WD.

The Chevy Trax has a lot more cargo room than I expected. It probably won't hold three kids in the back row though.