Author Topic: Feature: The Teen Driving Chronicles, Part 3  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: The Teen Driving Chronicles, Part 3
« on: June 14, 2013, 07:10:38 am »

Part 3 concludes Steven and Simon's adventures and learning experiences in teaching their teenage children the basics of driving. Simon gets professional help. Steven just watches some terrible videos.

Read More...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Feature: The Teen Driving Chronicles, Part 3
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:54:23 am »
in the first section of this article, it's mentioned about the "fear" that they aren't in control....

that is something that can be seen way too often on the roads. those people waiting to merge and so cautious that they come to a stop at the end of the merge lane... the people wanting to switch lanes but will only do it when there is no one anywhere near them, or the car in the other lane flashes at them... the people so intent on squeezing the wheel at ten and two and look in front that they don't even notice they are going ten below the speed limit in the fast lane, or perhaps that a car is not looking like it's going to stop on a cross street.

those nervous or scared drivers are dangerous and unable to react properly and in due time. and it's important to recognize when you fit into that category and do something about it. simon's son is wise enough to voice his fears... more drivers need to.

good luck to the kids and hopefully more people take these professional courses.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 12:59:50 pm »
"I set up two courses, a tight slalom and an emergency maneuver gate. We started on the slalom, slowly at first and then working up to what Ian reckoned was a pretty good clip. Then I took over for a couple of runs and showed him just how fast you could attack the slalom, and let him have a couple more goes. Even over the course of a few runs his confidence with the steering grew significantly – he become less tentative and more decisive. And we were both having an absolute blast."

This why a lot of parents of teens that I autocross with bring their kids out.  Big large air strip with plenty of run off space is ideal for learning car control, when to turn, when to brake, when to accelerate, how the vehicle responds, to look far ahead, etc.

I remember when I took lessons years ago from my local CAA, we went out to a big empty parking lot and did the same thing.  It was fantastic!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 01:02:11 pm »
All the autocrosses Ive been to Ive started to see that more and more. Usually dad and kid go for a few runs, I think thats a wicked way to teach a youngster proper car control. CAA should focus more on this and less on parallel parking......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 04:15:07 pm »
"I set up two courses, a tight slalom and an emergency maneuver gate. We started on the slalom, slowly at first and then working up to what Ian reckoned was a pretty good clip. Then I took over for a couple of runs and showed him just how fast you could attack the slalom, and let him have a couple more goes. Even over the course of a few runs his confidence with the steering grew significantly – he become less tentative and more decisive. And we were both having an absolute blast."

This why a lot of parents of teens that I autocross with bring their kids out.  Big large air strip with plenty of run off space is ideal for learning car control, when to turn, when to brake, when to accelerate, how the vehicle responds, to look far ahead, etc.

I remember when I took lessons years ago from my local CAA, we went out to a big empty parking lot and did the same thing.  It was fantastic!

I tell this to a lot of parents, their usual answer is:  "I don't want him wrecking his car racing it".  My usual reply is: "Oh, ok you'd rather he wrecked it on the street and maybe took out a few other people", which eventually often happens.

Recently I was trying to get a friend at work to tell his 17 year old about autocrossing. He wouldn't, worried about him crashing in a big empty airport.  Point is moot now as he ran it into a guardrail instead.

People who take it to the track don't have to street race to prove their skill, they know the limits and that it's folly to try to get near them on the streets.
Mr Pickypants

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 04:44:53 pm »

I tell this to a lot of parents, their usual answer is:  "I don't want him wrecking his car racing it".  My usual reply is: "Oh, ok you'd rather he wrecked it on the street and maybe took out a few other people", which eventually often happens.

Recently I was trying to get a friend at work to tell his 17 year old about autocrossing. He wouldn't, worried about him crashing in a big empty airport.  Point is moot now as he ran it into a guardrail instead.

People who take it to the track don't have to street race to prove their skill, they know the limits and that it's folly to try to get near them on the streets.

Absolutely!  I find that it makes their street driving safer not just because of the added skill, but also because they aren't out racing on the street.  I remember when I first started autocrossing in my mid twenties. Within the first year of doing it my street driving calmed down because I was far less aggressive.  I found it more fun at the autocross than on the street.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 06:29:35 pm »
In my day, malls were closed on Sundays - perfect days for tests in an empty lot.  My dad took me in all seasons to practice handling his monster '77 Grand Prix with RWD until I was licensed.  It was awesome, and it was where I learned how to drive the car, rather than let it drive me.

And since tomorrow is Father's Day... I want to say, "Merci, Papa. Tu me manques (I miss you)."   :)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Feature: The Teen Driving Chronicles, Part 3
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:01:24 pm »
My father taught me to drive,and I must say, if you can parallel park a 73 Pontiac, 18 ft long,  you can parallel park anything.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moos
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 11:20:27 pm »
My father taught me to drive,and I must say, if you can parallel park a 73 Pontiac, 18 ft long,  you can parallel park anything.

If you can parallel park a 88 GMC Vandura 2500 Cargo Conversion Van with non existence sight lines during rush hour traffic in downtown Calgary, then you know how to parallel park.  I've done it before.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:49:41 am »

If you can parallel park a 88 GMC Vandura 2500 Cargo Conversion Van with non existence sight lines during rush hour traffic in downtown Calgary, then you know how to parallel park.  I've done it before.

Try backing in a 30 foot long motor home into a spot designed to fill propane taxi cabs in Mississauga during rush hour.  :P

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 09:58:51 am »

Try backing in a 30 foot long motor home into a spot designed to fill propane taxi cabs in Mississauga during rush hour.  :P

Bazinga!

Offline WagonGuy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 10:08:40 am »

Ha! Same hear.  Dad taught me in a 1986 ChevyVan conversion.  Took my driver's test in it and was asked whether I was applying for my "G" or "F" license.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 02:39:03 pm »
in the first section of this article, it's mentioned about the "fear" that they aren't in control....

that is something that can be seen way too often on the roads. those people waiting to merge and so cautious that they come to a stop at the end of the merge lane... the people wanting to switch lanes but will only do it when there is no one anywhere near them, or the car in the other lane flashes at them... the people so intent on squeezing the wheel at ten and two and look in front that they don't even notice they are going ten below the speed limit in the fast lane, or perhaps that a car is not looking like it's going to stop on a cross street.

those nervous or scared drivers are dangerous and unable to react properly and in due time. and it's important to recognize when you fit into that category and do something about it. simon's son is wise enough to voice his fears... more drivers need to.

good luck to the kids and hopefully more people take these professional courses.

You're absolutely right - lots of people who are 'trained' to drive are so uncomfortable driving that it makes it unsafe for people around them. I find these drivers often make inattentive decisions that put others in danger. I was merging behind a compact Toyota about a month ago, this person was not accelerating on the onramp but merged into the slow lane at about 70 km/h. The problem was there was a dump truck doing about 105 km/h about 30 feet behind who had to lock up all his tires and blast the horn. This could have easily been an 18 wheeler who could have lost control of his load, or just plowed through the tiny Toyota. You have to be really, really alert when making a lane change on a highway, especially when merging. Taking the time to train your kids how to be better drivers is time VERY well spent.

Don't even get me started on the nervous drivers when it comes to inclement weather... "IT'S A SNOWFLAKE! HIT THE BRAKES!!!"

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 07:59:30 pm »
Driving to me consists of two skills: Car control and traffic.  You can be a master at drifting or hammering out low lap times, but still be a danger on the public roads, and you can be a good reader of traffic but have no clue as to what to do if you truly need to control the car at or past it's limits.

Traffic reading and defensive driving is most of the battle.  It keeps you from having to use all the capacity of the car.  But, things happen.  And when they do, knowing how the car will react to emergency inputs and having the confidence and skill to remain in control can literally save your life.

My plan of attack for my daughter consists of building her skills in both areas.  She will learn to read traffic from me and from instructors so that she won't be limited in her strategies.  Then she will hit the auto-x course and learn to push a car to it's limits, and past them.

We're also fortunate that she has a variety of cars to learn on, including a very primitive RWD car with no ABS, no traction or skid control, a manual transmission, and a chassis that rewards skilled inputs; a large AWD SUV with all the electronic nannies but requires thought in terms of cornering speeds; and following distances and a FWD compact sedan that is very benign to drive but is challenging in terms of seeing around the large vehicles that dominate our roads here.

We've spent some time on the track in carts, and she has a good sense of motion, speed, traction, etc.  The next step is the full sized stuff...