Author Topic: Preview: 2014 Ford Transit Connect Van  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Preview: 2014 Ford Transit Connect Van
« on: January 09, 2013, 06:29:27 am »

The new Transit Connect builds on the success of the old model to become better in almost every way.

Read More...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Preview: 2014 Ford Transit Connect Van
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:50:42 am »
It will be interesting to see what these sticker for.  I found the old one interesting, but somewhat overpriced given the old powertrain.  Now with new powertrains, two different wheelbases, and improved looks.  This will sell better than the old one, a small business owner could use this a business vehicle, and personal vehicle.  The old one, wasn't as family friendly.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:12:15 am »
   I like this vehicle and suspect that it will find a decent market in the commercial world. Good also for the tent trailering crowd in short form with 4 seats (removable/foldable). I don't know how strong it will be for towing 2000Lb on a continuous basis the Caravan only equals this in standard form but when properly equiped will tow 3600Lb....which gives plenty in hand when only towing 2000Lb. Albeit with a 3.6 L. engine.
   Anyway, it's nice and fills the bill in a somewhat different way...bridging a wider gap than the Caravan in some respects but not in extended tow capacity as I read it. GCWR also has to be considered. This is the opposite of other vans though for family use. This vehicle seems to operate from the other end of the spectrum...sort of Comercial Vehicle down, whereas other vans operate from Family Vehicle up. The way I see it anyway. I like it though.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:43:07 pm »
It will be interesting to see what these sticker for.  I found the old one interesting, but somewhat overpriced given the old powertrain.  Now with new powertrains, two different wheelbases, and improved looks.  This will sell better than the old one, a small business owner could use this a business vehicle, and personal vehicle.  The old one, wasn't as family friendly.

Speaking as someone has three Transit Connect vans, I'd like to chime in that the "old anemic 2.0 litre" engine gives excellent service, reliability along with very reasonable fuel consumption. A van is not about quarter mile times: it's about cents per km operating cost vs. revenue from payload.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:23 pm »
I have never owned a van of any kind but I dig all of these new commercial vans coming on the market. Seems like there is suddenly a competition to meet business needs that hasn't been there in years. Plus commercial vans make me think of entrepreneurialism so I have a soft spot for them.

Offline DBrown

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:31:09 pm »
This vehicle makes me think of Canada Post. When I see it parked on my street I often end up saying:

"I'm HOME dammit! Why'd you leave me this #$%&@ delivery card???" ???

Offline takwu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:01:02 pm »
Still waiting for the power ratings...  When it was announced I thought the 1.6 Ecoboost sounded exciting, but on second thought, the 2.5 NA engine might be better suited for this type of vehicle.  The 1.6 Ecoboost will probably be more expensive to buy and maintain, with perhaps better fuel economy.

Anyway I am still excited about this van.  Just hope the pricing will be competitive.

Offline relliott13

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 86 Jetta, 90 Jetta, 97 JettaTD, 2005 PassatTDI, 2000 JettaTDI
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:49:01 am »
"There is also the potential for one of the small diesel engines found in other markets to eventually make its way to North America, but as of now there are no definite plans."

And this statement alone, ladies and gentleman, is why I would never consider this vehicle.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +251/-764
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 09:11:13 am »
And this statement alone, ladies and gentleman, is why I would never consider this vehicle.

So just buy one of the other diesel minivans on the market. Oh wait...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 11:32:32 am »
I thought we had another more active Transit Connect thread but anyway...

Neat vehicle. Love the tall roof. As a five seater it's pretty comfy. The third row is mildly more comfortable than the Mazda 5. Seats are a bit awkward to fold up and down. No cargo room behind the third row, definitely opt for the overhead storage compartments if you plan to seat 7.

But at $30,250 to $35,500 including freight, PDI, and $2,000 cash on the hood, I don't see how families would justify this over an Odyssey ($31,842 starting), Sienna ($30,900 starting), or Grand Caravan (roughly $21,700 starting)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 12:00:36 pm »

So just buy one of the other diesel minivans on the market. Oh wait...
i would imagine most of these types of vehicles will be used as urban runabouts by small businesses (electricians, plumbing contractors, etc)...diesel's like to run...if you had a courier service and did runs between Windsor and Toronto, then sure, a Transit Diesel would make sense...but just short trips around town, you're better off with the 2.5L gas engine.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.