Author Topic: Feature: Winter Tires vs. All-Season Tires  (Read 67867 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Feature: Winter Tires vs. All-Season Tires
« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2013, 03:07:05 pm »
What shipping method does tire rack use? Experienced any headaches in getting your tires when they were delivered when you weren't home?

Tire rack uses ups, but all your duty and brokerage is prepaid online, so no nasty surprises when they show up.  As for home delivery, not sure as I always have them deliver to my workplace.  I would suspect that they would leave a note on your front door and that you would have to go pick them up from their warehouse.

I just ordered steel rims from Costco, and came home from work to see the boxes neatly stacked by UPS against my front door. Not too pleased as it is right up against a busy sidewalk and I've had stuff stolen that way before.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2013, 03:15:31 pm »
Facking UPS and leaving stuff on the door step!

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 29, 2013, 05:13:50 pm »
I know the 5 days in November.  That week was hell for driving.  All in a day, it started with rain and as it got colder, it turned into freezing rain, then wet snow and then normal snow.  It basically froze onto the streets.  I wouldn't feel bad about being embarrassed by your winter tires.  Most people with winter tires had issues stopping.  I was a little better with my studded Nokian Hakka 7s, but still challenging.  I couldn't imagine driving on all seasons through those roads.

As for the guy with the CRV, I vote that he had all-seasons with 3/32" tread.
I also remember those days in November.
I was still on my summers in the RX-8.  ;D

:o

Thrill seeker or just didn't get chance for the switchover?  I saw a dozen accidents myself going home from work.  It took me 2 hours to get home whereas I'd be home within 30 minutes.  That was one bad day, yet people still feel that they can be just fine running all seasons.   ::)

No need.  Costco is handy, has very aggressive pricing on the Blizzaks (and Michelins if you're going the Xice route) and for a long time now has done an excellent install job.  (Costco wasn't great way back when, but do a good job now)  Free flat repairs, etc, and I don't have to visit a Kal Tire, in the city or out of town.

My Blizzaks have impressed me to no end in the poorest conditions, so I don't see a reason to change.  I have known some folks with the Nokians and don't think there is a significant performance difference, and especially not enough to send me driving out of town.

But, whatever works for you, run with it.  Glad people are running proper winter tires.

It's ironic 'cuz I had the exact opposite experience at the South-side Costco.  The female person at the tire shop was chatting up with her co-workers and when I approached her and asked a few questions, she wasn't very nice.  I felt that she was happy when I left as she resumed chatting.

Plus, she said that the 6-month switchover will cost me $25 each time.  This adds up rather quickly!  Are you sure Costco gives you free tire rotations and switchovers?

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2013, 05:18:36 pm »
It is true that Kal Tire is a bit more expensive, but they provide warranty and free tire rotation.

So does Costco.  Free flat repair, etc, etc.  Customer service at Costco is excellent in my experience.  As for the price difference, it was approx $300/set for the Nokians over the Blizzaks.

Bridgestone was offering a $100 rebate for tires purchased between certain dates.  Costco had to order my tires, and couldn't process the purchase within the dates.  They came through and offered me the price reduction internally, instead of through Bridgestone.  Excellent.

My tire pressures are always set perfectly, and the TPMS is reset.  I've never had a balance issue, including on some cars that were VERY picky about wheel balance.

They're a 10min drive from my home, I get an additional 2% cash back (Executive Member) and see no reasons at all to change. 

Anytime I've talked to Kal Tire they've completely ignored anything I said and pushed tires I wasn't interested in at prices that nearly caused my heart to stop.  A few years ago, I just stopped even calling/going there.

Thanks for sharing.  If you're purchasing steellies, then Costco is the way to go.  But if you're buying alloys (like I am) then Kal Tire has a fairly good selection and givne that I'm part of a professional organization which is affiliated with Kal Tire, I get 10% discount off of rims, lug nuts, installation, balancing, etc. (everything except tires). 

Costco doesn't have their winter tires up yet, but I'd love to do a comparison of cost between Costco and Kal tire. 

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2013, 05:23:13 pm »
Does Costco have a satisfaction guarantee? Kal Tire allowed me to exchange my WRG2s I purchased 10 weeks back for Yokohama iceGuards for just the cost of remounting and balancing back in 2008.

10-weeks?!  Whoa...   That is very impressive.  I've only heard of 30-day no hassle exchange policy but that is some customer service.

I have the all weather Hankook Optimo 4s. Not a good winter tire at all, kept them for summer but went to Blizzaks for the winter, huge upgrade.

All weather tires are better than all seasons in the winter, but they're still a compromise. No comparison with the Blizzak, which is one of the better winter tires out there (I have a set for my Fit - love them). All weathers are probably a decent option for people who live downtown, as streets tend to be pretty clear and finding storage for wheels and tires, well...

I swear these Optimo's are worse in the winter than the Crappy Tire all seasons that they replaced. However sexy the tread pattern looks the rubber is quite hard.

Good to know.  After hearing about your Optimos and dkaz's experience with Nokain WRG2, I'd never run "All-Weather" tires either unless I'm living in Victoria.  It is summer tires during warmer months and winter tires from Oct 15th until April 15th for me.

Like most, I'm a true proponet of winter tires and am always trying to convince others the inherent value of running winters over all seasons (or all weathers).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2013, 06:21:22 pm »
Plus, she said that the 6-month switchover will cost me $25 each time.  This adds up rather quickly!  Are you sure Costco gives you free tire rotations and switchovers?
the "free switchover" is only applicable to Costco purchased tires and it may vary by location...the one i go to does the free switchover (but only on Costco purchased tires, so putting back my OEM tires in the spring costs $24)...most places will charge you to re/re tires and at $6/tire, it is still quite reasonable...my Costco location also balances them before putting them back on to be sure they didn't lose a weight or anything during storage/move.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Feature: Winter Tires vs. All-Season Tires
« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2013, 07:48:03 pm »
A lot of places around here now charge upwards of $150 for four tires installed and balanced. Costco charges $60, and I wish they'd deal with non-Costco purchased tires, but then they'd have to open huge tire shops!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2013, 08:42:03 pm »
A lot of places around here now charge upwards of $150 for four tires installed and balanced. Costco charges $60, and I wish they'd deal with non-Costco purchased tires, but then they'd have to open huge tire shops!

Anything that requires any kind of labour in Edmonton costs an arm and a leg. Oil change at Weber Mazda cost me $104 taxes in last year (0W20 Synthetic).

I think Kal Tire in Calgary only charged me $20 to 25 a tire for 18" wheels.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2013, 11:02:07 am »
I think Kal Tire in Calgary only charged me $20 to 25 a tire for 18" wheels.
Costco charges $6 to re/re wheels that are already mounted on rims (example, removing all mounted all seasons, installing mounted winters)...if the tires need to be re/re on rims, it is $15 per tire (as mentioned by johngenx upthread)...the Costco i go to waives the $6 version if you bought your tires from them...so technically, if you bought your winter tires there, and your all seasons (when it comes time to replace them), you get your tires swapped every spring and fall for free.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2013, 11:08:27 am »
It was $20 to mount and balance a new 18" tire. I suffered a flat and had no choice.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2013, 07:23:06 pm »
It was $20 to mount and balance a new 18" tire. I suffered a flat and had no choice.
a difference of $5 is no big deal (if you need it done ASAP)...i was just confirming the pricing from Costco.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2013, 10:37:01 am »
Just placed my first ever order from Tire Rack, decided to go with the previously mentioned  Continental Extreme. Saved approx $165 compared to Canadian Retail stores

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #212 on: December 21, 2013, 11:00:05 am »
Last night was my first real test for the Continental Extreme Winter Contact tires. I'm very happy with their performance in the icey\snow fun that is southern ontario  at the moment. The majority of my 4 hour drive I was safely driving approx 10-15 KM faster then most other cars which looked like they had all seasons.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:02:22 am by RunsinLight »

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #213 on: December 21, 2013, 12:26:22 pm »
A few weeks ago we replaced the tires on my wife's 2006 Nissan X-Trail for the FOURTH time.

Specifically we installed a set of BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A all-season tires in 235/60R16 size (stock size is 215/65R16).  Without doubt these tires are the best "fit" with the X-Trail.  Ottawa has been hit with a series of big slippery snowfalls in December and the tires have great traction and bite very nicely, considering they're not winter tires.  Ride comfort is excellent and smooth, and road noise is practically non existant.

The tires we had replaced were Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S.  Normally I'm a huge fan of Yokohama and have had a few sets on my Miata.  But we were hugely disappointed with the Geolandars.  While the tread patterns looks like it's going to be excellent in the snow as well as the dry, the truth was these tires did not bite better than anything else we've had.  And the treadwear was simply terrible!  They lasted a mere 40,000 km / two years, and were down to the wear bars when we replaced them.  Pathetic!

"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 21, 2013, 12:56:42 pm »
Last night was my first real test for the Continental Extreme Winter Contact tires. I'm very happy with their performance in the icey\snow fun that is southern ontario  at the moment. The majority of my 4 hour drive I was safely driving approx 10-15 KM faster then most other cars which looked like they had all seasons.

I have a brand new set on the TSX, and they seem to be excellent in the wet and dry, but in snow, they lack lateral grip. I can easily swing my rear end out before the stability control kicks in.   :-\ I found that my previous Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s did a better job.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2013, 01:25:43 pm »
Lateral grip seems to me to be the most challenging from an engineering standpoint.  The Altimax Arctics on the Highlander give great straight line grip, and are good in the bends, but noticeably less able than the Blizzak WS-70's.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2013, 01:37:07 pm »
Just installed a set of Michelin X-Ice 3 on my mom's 97 Taurus Wagon.  She was running Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S and it's a night and day difference.  Awesome grip on deep snow as well on ice.  Lateral grip is truly amazing.  Very impressed so far.  The other thing I can note is the weight of the car really helps with the grip.  I find it easier to drive my moms car over mine in snow because of the weight.  It grabs and goes where as mine just floats on the snow.  Although, my car is more tossable and does exhibit lift off throttle oversteer tendencies which is big fun if you know how to control and manage it.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2013, 01:39:20 pm »
Predictability is important, too. I had a set of Yokomaha Ice Guards a few years ago: the lateral grip was pretty good, but I found they broke away without much warning and then would grip again suddenly. Even though their overall performance was good, I never really liked them for that reason (and they were lousy in slush).

This is my fourth winter on the Conti EWCs and I'd say they've been pretty good. Haven't really noticed any lack of lateral grip, but the back end will step out nicely and predictably if you jump off the gas quickly. But that's a good thing, IMO - makes for quicker left turns through intersections when combined with the 1-2 upshift.