Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Touareg TDI  (Read 35370 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Touareg TDI
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2013, 08:57:35 am »
Yeah but Snowy already has a FGC and seems to not mind the headaches lol

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2013, 03:30:17 pm »
Don't tell anyone but I put the parking brake on before I change into Park on both the cars now.     habit.
that is what you are supposed to do...you apply the parking brake, then put the car in park...otherwise, you put the load of the car on the "park gear" in your transmission...let your brakes hold the car, not your tranny.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2013, 05:43:31 pm »
Don't tell anyone but I put the parking brake on before I change into Park on both the cars now.     habit.
that is what you are supposed to do...you apply the parking brake, then put the car in park...otherwise, you put the load of the car on the "park gear" in your transmission...let your brakes hold the car, not your tranny.

This is 100% true.  I bet less than 1% of the people that drive automatic cars know and then do this.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2013, 05:44:23 pm »

But it's a garage queen.   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2013, 08:58:47 pm »

This is 100% true.  I bet less than 1% of the people that drive automatic cars know and then do this.

I know it's good practice but I rarely do it.  Never heard of a park pin breaking or it causing any damage to a transmission.  In short it's a nice thing to do but serves no real purpose. (unless you're stuck parking on a really steep grade)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2013, 09:42:55 pm »

But it's a garage queen.   ;D

And an awesome looking one at that  ;D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Touareg TDI
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2013, 10:04:34 pm »

I know it's good practice but I rarely do it.  Never heard of a park pin breaking or it causing any damage to a transmission.  In short it's a nice thing to do but serves no real purpose. (unless you're stuck parking on a really steep grade)

Technically, it is not legal to park without the parking brake not engaged.  I have heard of Ford focus Windstars with failing park pawls because of this.

Not to mention, if you don't use the park brake and the park pawl in the transmission fails and your vehicle rolls causing damage to itself and other property, it would be considered your fault in an insurance claim.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Touareg TDI
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2013, 10:18:45 pm »

Technically, it is not legal to park without the parking brake not engaged.  I have heard of Ford focus Windstars with failing park pawls because of this.

Not to mention, if you don't use the park brake and the park pawl in the transmission fails and your vehicle rolls causing damage to itself and other property, it would be considered your fault in an insurance claim.

Cars can't roll if you turn your wheel to the curb and like I said I have never heard of one failing.  Windstars just had crappy transmission... full stop. 

As for being illegal... well there are lots of meaningless laws around.

http://autos.ca.msn.com/editors-picks/dumbest-road-laws-from-around-the-world

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Touareg TDI
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2013, 10:43:48 pm »

Cars can't roll if you turn your wheel to the curb and like I said I have never heard of one failing.  Windstars just had crappy transmission... full stop. 

What curb if you're on a driveway with a slope?

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Volkswagen Touareg TDI
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2013, 10:57:15 pm »

What curb if you're on a driveway with a slope?

OK there but like I said in my first comment here..... "unless you're parking on a really steep grade".

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2013, 12:41:20 am »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/parked-bmw-x5-rolls-away-twice-on-its-own-1.1376490

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/01/bmw-x5-recall-notice-roll-way-par.html

The pawl can fail in an automatic. It's not terribly likely, but it does happen.

I use the parking brake all the time, mostly to keep it from seizing up from disuse.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline saurus

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 VW Touareg
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2013, 12:37:50 am »

So you can't put your car in neutral on downhill for reduced engine drag and then put it into drive without depressing the brake pedal?  That's NOT good in my books.

I own this vehicle (2012 model) and can confirm shifting from neutral to drive and vice versa does not need application of brake.

After 2 years of ownership I am overall happy with it, it performs great on the highway. I have not had any mechanical or electrical issues with this vehicle however of late the interior trim is starting to rattle in the rear on bad roads - and frustratingly one day it is fine and another it is not, it must be temperature related.  Darnit even the base trim jetta loaner is silent.

I am going to ask the dealer to fix but am unsure if a VW dealer will make much effort to fix such complaints. It is for this reason that I would hesitate to buy this SUV over the Mercedes ML.  The after care of Mercedes/BMW is usually excellent, they go to lengths to fix the slightest detail.