Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Honda Civic Sedan  (Read 45488 times)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: First Drive: 2013 Honda Civic Sedan
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 11:50:44 pm »
I did a double take at this image:

I don't know quite what it is, but that looks like a near-perfect driver's seat experience. I love the way it curves around the driver...

I don't like the double stack instrument cluster.  It makes me think I am at an operator console of a large factory.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 01:10:20 am »
i dunno, to me it looks rather disjointed and complex.  (civic interior, that is)

i saw first one on the road today, driven by a cute asian girl(with a surly looking asian dude in the passenger seat) and thought it looked fine.  better than the pics, in fact.

really?  They just made their world premiere in LA today.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 08:17:41 am »
On previous page someone posted: "i saw first one on the road today, driven by a cute asian girl(with a surly looking asian dude in the passenger seat) and thought it looked fine.  better than the pics, in fact."

I don't understand what looked fine: the car, the car with the detailed explained asian girl, or you appreciate the car with a girl plus a dude?
Anyway, you made my day, bro!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 09:34:55 am »
i dunno, to me it looks rather disjointed and complex.  (civic interior, that is)

i saw first one on the road today, driven by a cute asian girl(with a surly looking asian dude in the passenger seat) and thought it looked fine.  better than the pics, in fact.

really?  They just made their world premiere in LA today.

not the civic, ILX. 

I don't understand what looked fine: the car, the car with the detailed explained asian girl, or you appreciate the car with a girl plus a dude?
Anyway, you made my day, bro!

yes, it was the car.    thank you, i'm here to entertain.  :rofl2:  ;D

Cute Asian girl FTW!
  heck yeah!!!  (i'll pretent that you aren't a married middle aged guy with 2 kids for a moment, kehvin!!   ;)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 10:44:32 am »
and it still has the worst interior in its class, besides the Corolla. Not much worth bragging about here.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 11:12:08 am »
and it still has the worst interior in its class, besides the Corolla. Not much worth bragging about here.

Really?! I can understand differing opinions, but worst interior in the class?
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
First Drive: 2013 Honda Civic Sedan
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 11:22:39 am »

That's a stretch, I think. It wasn't great but it sure wasn't the worst in class.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 11:43:26 am »

That's a stretch, I think. It wasn't great but it sure wasn't the worst in class.

Feel free to correct me or give me other bad examples. Reme mber though, no Corolla!!

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 12:29:43 pm »

Feel free to correct me or give me other bad examples. Reme mber though, no Corolla!!

I certainly disliked the Elantra. Interior more from a design perspective then materials. The Jetta was no great shakes either.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2012, 12:50:38 pm »

I certainly disliked the Elantra. Interior more from a design perspective then materials. The Jetta was no great shakes either.

I must admit that I look at a digital Honda speedometer every day, so it's not like I am unbiased! :)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2012, 02:01:43 pm »

Personally I find the Civic interior a far more pleasant place to be than those of the Sentra, Impreza, and even the Mazda3. I love the Elantra/Forté, so that's a wash. You already mentioned the Corolla. I like the Focus' interior just as much as the Civic's.

Offline caretaker007

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2012, 02:07:31 pm »
Nice to see Honda back at the head of the pack.   Nobody though has mentioned the transmissions.   A 5 speed manual that turns 2500 at 100k, just doesn't cut it now.

Despite that, it appears the rest of the car is so good no one noticed...What are the RPM's in most of the other cars in this area.( at 100k) thanks..

Cheers,
John M.

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2012, 02:44:13 pm »

Personally I find the Civic interior a far more pleasant place to be than those of the Sentra, Impreza, and even the Mazda3. I love the Elantra/Forté, so that's a wash. You already mentioned the Corolla. I like the Focus' interior just as much as the Civic's.

My wife has the Mazda 3 and I find the dash cheap and unappealing just not as much as the Civic.The bloody orange dashlights in her car kill me .Forgot the Sentra even existed, don't mind the Impreza.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2012, 02:51:28 pm »
I don't like the double stack instrument cluster.  It makes me think I am at an operator console of a large factory.

It's not for everyone. Personally, I love it. Being able to see your speed while barely having to take your eyes off the road is a real win. And a digital readout is easy to read and can be readily changed to MPH when visiting the States. Huge win.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2012, 03:16:45 pm »

It's not for everyone. Personally, I love it. Being able to see your speed while barely having to take your eyes off the road is a real win. And a digital readout is easy to read and can be readily changed to MPH when visiting the States. Huge win.

It is easy to read[I don't like others to see how fast i am going though ;)] I find on the highway  it is hard to keep a constant speed just because it's digital.
That problem is solved however with cruise control.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:24:13 pm by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Northernridge

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2012, 03:59:16 pm »
I like the revised civic even though the changes seem pretty mild. Also, that interior image above looks great...I like how the dash wraps in. While I can grasp how the civic might not be everyone's favourite, I don't get the dart throwing...it's just not that bad.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2012, 05:03:43 pm »
My wife has the Mazda 3 and I find the dash cheap and unappealing just not as much as the Civic.The bloody orange dashlights in her car kill me.

My Mazda 3 has blue dash lights. :)

I like having a clear view of exactly how fast Civic drivers around me are going. lol.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2012, 05:10:53 pm »

My wife has the Mazda 3 and I find the dash cheap and unappealing just not as much as the Civic.The bloody orange dashlights in her car kill me .Forgot the Sentra even existed, don't mind the Impreza.

Let's make a bet: how long until Greg is banned yet again? I give it nine days.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2012, 06:06:18 pm »
What was Greg's original screen name?

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2012, 06:53:20 pm »
There are many changes for good. But why Honda decided to keep the double deck for the Civic when the entry Acura is back to normal dash board?

i couldn't agree more.   that 2 tiered dash is a miserable failure.  the s2000 dash was the best attempt at an update to the tradition instrument layout.

I wouldn't use the words "miserable failure" to describe the two tiered dash.  I don't mind it overall, but my biggest gripe is the visibility of the speedo if you drive with your hand at 12:00 like I do.  The speedo is completely covered by my hand whenever I happen to drive my wife's Civic, and I find it a little irritating.  Being the owner of an S2K as well, I absolutely love the simplicity of the entire dash and instrument cluster. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing