Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Acura ILX Dynamic  (Read 12863 times)

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Acura ILX Dynamic
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 01:47:06 pm »
Never got the EL/ILX thing, what was wrong with a Civic Si 4 door?? Save yourself the money, have a much better looking car and not look like you are trying to overreach financially.

While I absolutely love the Civic Si, the stigma around that nameplate is that it's a boy-racer car. I like to refer to the ILX Dynamic as a Civic Si for grown-ups.

Really, I dont see it that way at all. Sure, theres a lot of teenagers with cut springs, fart cans and a bunch of "canadian tire" performance parts  driving them but a Civic driven by a responsible adult is no more a rice rocket than a Corolla. Sure, the Civic started the whole import upgrade scene, but a 4 door Civic doesnt scream race car to me any more than any other compact 4 door sedan.

I'm inclined to agree with you, because I'm one of those people who truly doesn't care about being judged based on the vehicle I arrive in, but my experience while spending a week with the Civic Si HFP swayed me. While I absolutely love the car, there was no denying that tons and tons of younger guys in other sport compacts were continuously trying to race me at traffic lights. I wanted none of it and would go on my merry way, but it's almost as if the way the car looks was bringing out others' insecurities. I'm a pretty low-key guy, so I suppose I wouldn't mind driving around a debadged, black or dark grey Si sedan, but an HFP Coupe in a flashy colour? No way in hell.

Im in my 30's and I visit clients all the time, couldnt imagine pulling up in a civic with a bodykit  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 01:48:54 pm »
Im in my 30's and I visit clients all the time, couldnt imagine pulling up in a civic with a bodykit  ;D

I can't imagine you visiting clients!  :stick: :cheers: ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 01:55:47 pm »

I can't imagine you visiting clients!  :stick: :cheers: ;D

Hey, some like abrasive  ;D

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 01:58:18 pm »
Honda Acura is in the similar situation as Nissan with Altima/Maxima/GX. Cars without clear (price) and value advantages between themselfs: What's the point buying TL over TSX (don't mind, there was a V6 version of the latter) and continuing why someone gona buy ILX instead TSX (even considering just the price) and finally as the autor suggests where is the market for ILX against Civic SI?

TL is bigger than TSX...

Offline PhiDelt

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW X1, BMW 325CI, 2013 Ford Taurus
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 03:06:06 pm »
If I were looking for a exact replacement to my 2005 TSX the ILX would be it,same size and engine. Upgraded features. Similar driving dynamics.
And I agree a comparo between a 1st gen TSX and the ILX is in order.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 03:52:17 pm »
If I were looking for a exact replacement to my 2005 TSX the ILX would be it,same size and engine. Upgraded features. Similar driving dynamics.

And,, when can we expect that from you?   ;D

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-401
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 05:19:01 pm »

While I agree that this would be an awesome comparo, the chances of a good quality comparison lacking too much bias are next to none unless the owner of a mint-condition 1st-gen TSX lends their car to the media to test. 

...actually, I think I'll try to line something up.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 NX200t, 2006 MX-5 Miata
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 11:42:01 pm »
I can imagine that a 6MT 1st gen TSX drives better than this.

Hows the steering on the Dynamic model? I hated it on the standard Premium model I had as a loaner on the weekend. I'd never pay $30k+ taxes for one.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 10:43:25 am »
thought same engine...Civic Si has limited slip Diff bot not the ILX

so Si will likely perform better in the snow or on track

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 10:18:52 am »
Lets see:  For about $30,000 you can either buy one of these, or buy 2 Honda Civic sedans  (each one $15,600 base price).  Both cars have engines that give about the same power.

So basically the ILX is a Honda Civic sedan, with a nicer looking interior, being sold at double the price? 
Does someone else here understand the extreme rip-off going on here?

Save your money and just buy a Hyundai Elantra with way more features, a better looking interior than the starship-dash Civic, and a MUCH better price than the overly-inflated=price ILX
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:21:10 am by Waterlooresident »

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2014, 10:39:53 am »
Lets see:  For about $30,000 you can either buy one of these, or buy 2 Honda Civic sedans  (each one $15,600 base price).  Both cars have engines that give about the same power.

So basically the ILX is a Honda Civic sedan, with a nicer looking interior, being sold at double the price? 
Does someone else here understand the extreme rip-off going on here?

Save your money and just buy a Hyundai Elantra with way more features, a better looking interior than the starship-dash Civic, and a MUCH better price than the overly-inflated=price ILX

ILX Dynamic is the equivalent of the Civic Si Sedan, but not ugly, and with a nice interior. Go troll the ILX or ILX hybrid threads:

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,81807.0.html?

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,81217.0.html?

Hyundai does not have anything that handles and with a shifter like a Civic Si or ILX dynamic - not even the Genesis Coupe has as nice a shift feel, and I'd personally pick an ILX dynamic over a Genesis Coupe for a multitude of reasons, although Elantra GT I would look at long and hard – it is a better value and more practicality, it just does not drive as well or look as good in my eyes.

I bet even Force would concede the Civic Si/ILX Dynamic is one of the best manual gearboxes in the business, and we know he works for Hyundai...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2014, 11:42:52 am »
I'd personally pick an ILX dynamic over a Genesis Coupe for a multitude of reasons
Interesting...even with the Genesis coupe dropping the 2.0T in favour of a 'base' engine with 3.8L of displacement?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2014, 11:54:24 am »
I'd personally pick an ILX dynamic over a Genesis Coupe for a multitude of reasons
Interesting...even with the Genesis coupe dropping the 2.0T in favour of a 'base' engine with 3.8L of displacement?

I suspect for Jonathan, and many others, that it's not all about hp numbers.  Especially after reading the tail of the dragon article.  Not that I am a fan of the ILX, but I wouldn't compare it to the Genesis coupe.  Hyundai and GM need some work with their manuals.

Jonathan, have you had a chance to drive the updated Genesis Coupe that was recently reviewed, Lesley thought the shifter was improved, what do you think?

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2014, 03:06:38 pm »

I suspect for Jonathan, and many others, that it's not all about hp numbers.  Especially after reading the tail of the dragon article.  Not that I am a fan of the ILX, but I wouldn't compare it to the Genesis coupe.  Hyundai and GM need some work with their manuals.

Jonathan, have you had a chance to drive the updated Genesis Coupe that was recently reviewed, Lesley thought the shifter was improved, what do you think?

I haven't driven the 2014, no, but no way will they suddenly leap frog the masters of the manual transmission - but I should get in it and test that theory. The Genesis Coupe is good up to a point, but I was not satisfied with its balance and feel when lapping at Mosport DDT last year, though I did enjoy the V6 power. despite the inherent disadvantage of FWD the Civic Si is really dialled in and it seems like it allows me to get closer to its limits than the Genesis allows. the Genny steering in particular is disappointing - it should be better for a RWD moderate hp sports car.

and absolutely MX-5 trumps the Civic/ILX and the Genesis Coupe. The FR-S/BRZ twins are tempting - love the styling, nearly the same driving experience as the Miata. 

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2014, 03:27:47 pm »

I recently drove a 2014 Gen Coupe with a 4 cyl turbo and the shifter was subpar, especially when compared to the Toyobaru twins and Hondas. I found it vague, notchy and the gates were not very well defined.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2014, 03:37:10 pm »
I dunno. I never cared for the feel of Honda shifters. The gates and throws were fine, but they always felt too light and fragile. I like more mechanical feedback.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2014, 03:55:41 pm »
I dunno. I never cared for the feel of Honda shifters. The gates and throws were fine, but they always felt too light and fragile. I like more mechanical feedback.

Go drive the S4 manual. I have a feeling you'd like it. the precision of a the Honda, with the notchiness and mechanical feeling of the MX-5.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2014, 03:59:19 pm »

Go drive the S4 manual. I have a feeling you'd like it. the precision of a the Honda, with the notchiness and mechanical feeling of the MX-5.

The local VW/Audi dealer just relocated to a new place a couple of blocks from my house! Easy walk home from warranty work! ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2014, 04:03:21 pm »

Exactly what my neighbours son has (he doesn't live there, I see it when he visits) , he has an 2012 S4 manual, and the Dad (my neighbour) has a 2012 MB E Series

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2014, 09:44:45 pm »

The local VW/Audi dealer just relocated to a new place a couple of blocks from my house! Easy walk home from warranty work! ;D

I didn't say go buy it, just drive it and let us know what you think. Then you will buy it!  ;D