Author Topic: Battery charger/maintainer  (Read 19174 times)

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
Re: Battery charger/maintainer
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 11:24:06 am »
Any other tips about the use or purchase on on of these chargers would be appreciated.

Yes, confirming what the charge and float voltages are and checking to see if they are matched to the type of battery being charged.

Having worked in a government lab testing batteries and battery chargers, I tend not to trust the vast majority of them. Lots of hype and promises similar to additives.

That does not mean they are junk; it only means they either overcharge (bad) or undercharge (not so bad) batteries.

As for ratings on the CTC site or anywhere (forums), what are they based on?

Edited to add: when I see "Battery Type - 12V, Lead-Acid, Gel, AGM, Deep Cycle" in the specs section as is listed for that charger, you have to wonder because a FLA, AGM and GEL battery each have different charging requirements. Then you also need temperature compensation (at the battery). Its built to a price point and you cannot expect much from any charger under $200.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:54:25 am by No H2O »
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 02:21:49 pm »
That is an "intelligent charger" according to the description...

I have a CTEK 3300, great unit to grab next time it's on sale.

The use of "intelligent" or "smart" chargers are very popular buzz words used by that industry. A few times that I've asked for detailed specs, I was given nothing but vague info...most likely because they have something to hide.

I have two of those CTEK chargers. They work and they are OK, but there is nothing "intelligent" about them as the following clip taken from 14 days of data logging shows. It cycles between ~14.3V and ~12.9V. There is no "float" or "maintenance" mode as the manufacturer claims.

I am presently running an Optimate 3 that I have hooked up to my data logger.

I doubt there is anything special about any of these chargers, be it a CTEK, Optimate or Battery Tender. They are built to a price point.

I did come across a Pro-Logix charger that had a menu where you could cycle through battery types (AGM, GEL, FLA). That looked promising but voltage levels at each would need to be confirmed.

The best are still the Xantrex TrueCharge 2 chargers. Not cheap though.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 02:28:23 pm »
Xantrex makes some good marine chargers. Useful for leaving 12V refridgeration running at the dock while plugged in to shore power.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 03:26:09 pm »
I have this unit http://www.master-instruments.com.au/products/59199/I-7015.html

I believe C.T. carries the Schumacher brand. Decent residential battery chargers.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 06:35:28 pm »
Xantrex makes some good marine chargers. Useful for leaving 12V refridgeration running at the dock while plugged in to shore power.

You know your chargers!

They are very popular with the boating crowd and for good reason considering how their batteries are used and how many they have on board, the latter which can add up to some serious $$$.

We/I performed extensive testing on them in our labs and they are near perfect. I would have changed one aspect of the algorithm though. Their owner's manual is something else.

We in the forces ended up buying quite a few based on our findings and report.

They would not be popular with the average car owner because a power cord would need to be wired in.

Other brands that we tested: Schumacher, Pulse Tech and a few other big name "shop type" chargers were also tested. No comment!

They are available in numerous current ratings...

The panel...(they also have a remote panel that allows you to set the max amps)

On a side note and this related to some of the "expert" and "professional" comments on another thread here  ::), I had some "mechanic" on another forum go on and on how in his over 20 years of experience, he has never seen a charging system that charges over 13.5V and that is the norm. I guess that explains why do many have short battery life. Maybe he knows how to install spark plugs, but he knows squat about charging systems and batteries. (rant over) Obviously all my previous cars, my neighbour's and friend's cars are all over charging (they are all at 14.2 to 14.4V unless they have a problem)...probably why I get 15+ years out of my daily driver batteries.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:44:31 pm by No H2O »

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 03:58:57 pm »
The voltage charging curve of an Optimate charger that I have. The battery was partially discharged prior to the test.

Nothing special either. In fact, the charger does not even enter into an absorption mode when it reaches 14.3V. It just switches right into a maintenance mode that cycles between 13.4V and 13.7V.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 07:26:24 pm »
Zombie thread revival

Just wanted to say, my motorcycle battery was near dead due to lack of use,  I put my 2/12/70 amp Motomaster charger on it on the 2 amp setting for 3 days, tried the 12 amp setting as well for a while, both said battery was nearly fully charged, but the light would barely come on and starter wouldn't pull in.

Today I put on my little CTEK 3300 to charge it, within about 4 hours it had charged enough to start the bike with about 10 seconds of cranking the starter.  Battery is back from the dead.
Mr Pickypants