Author Topic: Raw dog food.  (Read 2629 times)

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
Raw dog food.
« on: October 22, 2012, 07:51:42 pm »
Started feeding the dogs "raw" food this weekend. Beef and Chicken. All three love the beef , but only 2 like the chicken. Been reading about the heath benefits of a raw diet.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Raw dog food.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:58:59 pm »
We fed our German Shepherd a raw diet for many years.  Good stuff!

Try chicken backs.  Lotsa crunching and bones the dogs seem to like...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:27:38 pm »
We fed our German Shepherd a raw diet for many years.  Good stuff!

Try chicken backs.  Lotsa crunching and bones the dogs seem to like...
Picked up some chicken backs today.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:38:49 pm »
Due to a $500/month medication bill at the vets for skin and allergy issues we started one of our Shih Tzu's on raw food and as a result of the huge improvement will be placing the other on it as well. I basically got pissed off at the vets and told them that all they were are pushers for the pet pharmaceutical industry. We will save about $400/ month...facking crazy.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 07:41:47 pm »
Due to a $500/month medication bill at the vets for skin and allergy issues we started one of our Shih Tzu's on raw food and as a result of the huge improvement will be placing the other on it as well. I basically got pissed off at the vets and told them that all they were are pushers for the pet pharmaceutical industry. We will save about $400/ month...facking crazy.

There are some quality dog foods out there when a raw diet isn't feasible.  Particularly Orijen and Blue Buffalo.  But yea...my vet said they do little training in pet nutrition while in school.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 07:45:54 pm »
I bought a box of frozen pucks. $100 feed two dogs for a month.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:49:17 pm »
Bah, my family's dog when I was growing up lived off Gaine's Burger and a daily bowl of Frosted Flakes.  She lived to be 18.  :rofl2: ;D

(The mutt on the right. :rofl:)

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 11:03:23 am »

There are some quality dog foods out there when a raw diet isn't feasible.  Particularly Orijen and Blue Buffalo.  But yea...my vet said they do little training in pet nutrition while in school.

The old curriculum at most vet colleges (like when I graduated) were like that - very little small animal nutrition.  But it has changed dramatically in the past decade at most schools, now students have the opportunity to get far more training in specialized fields like this (usually as an elective course).

To the OP, if you are going with raw food for your dog remember that your hygiene needs to be top-notch.  Raw food (obviously) has a lot more potential live pathogens in it than cooked food, and while the bugs don't seem to have much effect on the dog, they will excrete more zoonotic pathogens in their feces.  There were a couple of Canadian studies published on this a few years back - I've attached the abstracts below. So just remember to handle the feces carefully (duh!!), and don't let any children/elderly/immunocompromised people pick up the feces.

Can Vet J. 2007 Jan;48(1):69-75.
The risk of salmonellae shedding by dogs fed Salmonella-contaminated commercial raw food diets.  Finley R, Ribble C, Aramini J, Vandermeer M, Popa M, Litman M, Reid-Smith R.
Twenty-eight research dogs were enrolled to determine the prevalence of salmonellae shedding after consumption of 1 Salmonella-contaminated commercial raw food diet meal. Sixteen dogs were exposed to Salmonella-contaminated commercial raw food diets and 12 to Salmonella-free commercial raw food diets. Seven of the exposed dogs shed salmonellae 1-7 days after consumption of Salmonella-contaminated raw food diets. None of the dogs fed Salmonella-free diets shed salmonellae. No clinical signs were observed in either group. Five of the 7 dogs shed the same serotypes as those recovered from food samples used for feeding. Results showed the same serotypes and antimicrobial resistance pattern in 2 of the 7 shedders. Dogs fed Salmonella-contaminated raw food diets can shed salmonellae and may, therefore, be a source of environmental contamination potentially leading to human or animal illness.

Preliminary assessment of the risk of Salmonella infection in dogs fed raw chicken diets
Daniel J. Joffe and Daniel P. Schlesinger
Canadian Vet Journal, June 2002; 43(6): 441-42.
This preliminary study assessed the presence of Salmonella spp. in a bones and raw food (BARF) diet and in the stools of dogs consuming it. Salmonella was isolated from 80% of the BARF diet samples (P < 0.001) and from 30% of the stool samples from dogs fed the diet (P = 0.105). Dogs fed raw chicken may therefore be a source of environmental contamination.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 11:24:42 am »
Another fad.  ::)

If our dog's health deteriorates, he'll be put down and replaced. Vet bills don't happen in our family.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 01:28:00 pm »
   Our dog developed pancreatitis possibly from eating commercial dog kibble seven years ago. There were many articles about similar problems at the time. He could not keep any of the food down. The vet put him on a chicken and potato diet and he has been fine ever since. The chicken is cooked though and no bones included. Chicken/potato/chicken broth nuked to warm. He can tolerate turkey too.
   He is in his 12 th. year now and the diet maintains his weight very well..a pug with a waist.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 01:44:11 pm »
I basically got pissed off at the vets and told them that all they were are pushers for the pet pharmaceutical industry.
I'm not sure I agree with blanket statements like that, but won't deny that some vets out there are exactly as you describe.

The old curriculum at most vet colleges (like when I graduated) were like that - very little small animal nutrition.  But it has changed dramatically in the past decade at most schools, now students have the opportunity to get far more training in specialized fields like this (usually as an elective course).

To the OP, if you are going with raw food for your dog remember that your hygiene needs to be top-notch. 
1) I didn't know you were a vet!!
2) Lady Noto is a vet
3) Lady Noto has advised as you do - raw food diets are pretty much never, ever chosen by vets for their own animals.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 03:16:12 pm »

If our dog's health deteriorates, he'll be put down and replaced. Vet bills don't happen in our family.

Agreed, but I am getting resistance from the family.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 06:54:41 pm »

You've got it backwards.  It's not actually a fad.  They've been doing this in Germany (where our dog was from) and other parts of Europe forever.  And still do.  They take their German breeds VERY seriously over there, and most everything is still done old school.  Kibble/Commercial dog food has only been around for ~70 years.  So in the grand scheme of feeding dogs for the past several hundred years, kibble/commercial food is the fad, not raw food.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 07:02:35 pm »
raw food as in uncooked?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 07:09:17 pm »
raw food as in uncooked?

Yes.  Although if you extract the bones, you could cook it.  Only cooked bones are dangerous.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 12:45:41 am »

You've got it backwards.  It's not actually a fad.  They've been doing this in Germany (where our dog was from) and other parts of Europe forever.  And still do.  They take their German breeds VERY seriously over there, and most everything is still done old school.  Kibble/Commercial dog food has only been around for ~70 years.  So in the grand scheme of feeding dogs for the past several hundred years, kibble/commercial food is the fad, not raw food.

The farm dogs got table scraps, as our current one does quite often as well, always in the dog dish, and never fed from the table though. We put out some kibble, but he doesn't eat much of it, it'll sit there for days.

Growing up, some dogs got Gainsburger, some got Ballards soft food. It never really made a difference in health. Our small dogs lasted from 10-12 years, our shepherds lasted 8 or so.

Our last two dogs, German shepherds were from Germany. We inherited them. They had their papers, and were from an apparently reputable breeder. Both came down with genetic issues, pannus and hip dysplasia. Purebreds are bred for looks and not health.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:51:45 am by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 01:18:51 am »

The farm dogs got table scraps, as our current one does quite often as well, always in the dog dish, and never fed from the table though. We put out some kibble, but he doesn't eat much of it, it'll sit there for days.

I would consider "table scraps" like a raw diet.  Real food..though in this case cooked. 

And 100% disagree about you stupid statement "Purebreds are bred for looks and not health".  There are different types of purebreds.  "Show dog" purebred lines and working purebred lines.

I can assure you that purebred dogs from working lines are bred purely for health, temperament, etc. and looks play no part in it.

My dog came from working lines.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 01:25:49 am »

I would consider "table scraps" like a raw diet.  Real food..though in this case cooked. 

And 100% disagree about you stupid statement "Purebreds are bred for looks and not health".  There are different types of purebreds.  "Show dog" purebred lines and working purebred lines.

I can assure you that purebred dogs from working lines are bred purely for health, temperament, etc. and looks play no part in it.

So were mine. They typically sold to police forces, which is why the original owners bought them there.

The bulk of dog breeding is an absolute atrocity. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 01:33:38 am »

So were mine. They typically sold to police forces, which is why the original owners bought them there.

The bulk of dog breeding is an absolute atrocity.

Did you have the pink papers?  Or just regular papers?  I'm guessing regular.

As with all things, you need to do your shopping first to find a reputable line and breeder.

But I agree...the AKC and their shows have ruined many a breed. 

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 09:34:13 am »
   I think Liver has a point and many breeds have been manipulated to have features considered desirable over time that are questionable. Producing bad breathing and questionable gait. There was a British TV program about it and I think comities studying this phenomena. If you look at old paintings you can see some breeds that have changed a lot by selective breeding. In our case Pugs had longer legs and short but definite snouts and an example of that aspect can be seen in a painting of Napoleon and Josephine, depicting an included pet Pug. Of course they had been selectively bred to arrive at that point at that time.  Hopefully responsible judges at dog shows can help to lead the way back.
   I think any future animal for us will be a senior rescue dog and only size and health and temperament  will be the factors considered.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:38:55 am by Rupert »