Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design  (Read 8157 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 06:36:17 pm »
Last time I talked to a Volvo dealer (about 2 years ago) I enquired about a V70 wagon. the salesman pointed me right towards the XC70 saying that's what people really want, and it's $5,000 cheaper. So I says WTF, I just want a basic one, not a $50k one, but there was no such thing, and he wasn't interested in finding me one. To paraphrase another old farmer, hell of a way to run a railroad...it's such a shame because they do make great cars sometimes, and the seats can almost seal the deal for me alone.
i won't be in the market for some time, but i think next time around, i might consider a 4 year old off-lease XC70...i see several 2008/9 models, with 70-100k on them for about $20k...beautiful looking, practical vehicles, and not a bad deal at that price...i'm not up on Volvo's reliability lately, but i would imagine they are at least average.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 10:16:10 pm »
I feel that exterior pictures do not do this car justice compared how it looks live. The photo's of this particular red colour hatch look to similar to a Toyota Matrix to me.  :think:

I agree that the pictures don't do it justice. i wish i could get Brigitte out to take all our pics for us, or at least of the nice cars... she rocks. and i felt that the pictures below were entirely too cheesy for the review, although i love them because they are so cheesy...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 10:33:04 pm »
couple points...

to correct the review, the engine is a 3.0L turbo, not a 3.2L. no biggie, but thought i'd correct ya. always hard to keep track considering they always use otyher types of designations.

the points others make are well founded for the most part... opg forgot the xc70 in his short list of "real" volvos for sale here. so its a whopping 4 vehicles! (xc60, xc70, xc90, s60). the v60 IS supposed to be showing up soon.. ish. also, the 90 is outdated as hell, but still sells so its still valid.

for the windsheid thing, i totally agree... its like 1600 to replace. but they do offer this warranty type thing for like 899 that covers windsheild, lost keys, and a bunch of other things that is actually worthwhile. bit of a gamble if you never have to use it, but worth the POM.

Volvo has never attempted to get bigger in NA. i think its a mistake, but i don't think its a sign they are going anywhere. Geely bought Volvo i'm sure to get that NA distribution channel, so i can't see it going anywhere soon.

oh, another thing... i had priced out those wheels for a customer who wanted the 4-c, plus the r-design "look".... through volvo with the rubber, 1400..... PER FREAKIN WHEEL.... insano.

when i did comparisons for this model, it is a really good car. i find for the price, it is way more car and just better in so many categories than the q5, the x3, the glk... to each their own of course, but the xc60 t6 awd, premier plus... thats the sweet spot.

yup, T6 AWD Premier or Platinum would be the way to go, and maybe throw on the R Design body kit for good measure, but those wheels sound a bit pricey, never mind replacement costs for 20-inch performance tires.

but people forget that Volvo is a generation ahead for crashworthiness - when IIHS introduced that new small overlap frontal crash test, Volvo and Acura were the only two that did well:

http://www.insideline.com/acura/tl/2012/2012-acura-tl-and-volvo-s60-shine-in-new-iihs-crash-test.html

other companies engineer to the test, as with fuel consumption, but Volvo drops their cars off cliffs and crazy stuff like that to ensure total safety. I'd put money on Subaru also doing well when it is put to this small overlap test.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 09:27:33 am »
Nice review, Jonathan. After reading so many XC60 reviews that heap so much praise on the full-zoot R-design XC60, it's refreshing to read your take on the value - or lack thereof - of the R-design's extra performance. I would tend to agree - how much extra HP and stiff suspension does one really want in a cross-over?

I've been really interested in this car since its debut, and though I vacillate - like any proper car geek -  between different possible replacement cars every other week (used A4 Avant, X3,  Cayenne, Golf TDI, used 5-series touring, etc., etc.) very few cars seem to fit my needs as well as the XC60, and so it will likely replace my Subaru in a couple of years.

It would seem to be a formidable package, especially as a used value: the unique styling - and I prefer the toned-down, non-R-design trim personally - the class-leading 9-inch ground clearance, the relatively compact dimensions, the 40/20/40 splits seats, the reliability of volvo's tried-and-true T6 engines, the ride and handling; it's the ultimate do-anything car - and used T6's across the border can be found all day long at or below the $30k mark - not bad at all 8)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 03:50:32 pm »
used, i'm sure you'll be a little more hard pressed to find the R anyway. we sold probably 10-1 reg. - r designs. plus, volvos tend to be owned till they are close to dead by many purchasers. have to get lucky and find a lease return...

also, no stores seemed to order the booster seats mentioned in this review... it makes you give up the rear heated seats.

and as to the comment about 65 k being in the same money category as the tahoe and armada and such... well, thats got all the available equipment on it... and it just gets into that category of the others. most of the ones i sold were 47k after rebates and such.  also, you'll get some people saying, 65k for a chevy!?! you crazy? i could buy a volvo for that! heh...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now