Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2013 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop  (Read 7058 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Spin: 2013 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop
« on: September 13, 2012, 06:03:26 am »

This rather obscure Charger model might be the best version of Dodge's big sedan.

Read More...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Quick Spin: 2013 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:59:29 am »
that was quite a positive review!

I'm thinking i'll take one for a spin.. my wife says they are way too big for her to drive unfortunately... the 8-speed with the pentastar seems like a good combo. tranny has always been a big issue with me and chryco cars.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline PJAvenger

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT Convertible; 2013 RAM 1500; 2008 Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:29:08 am »
If only you could opt for alternately flashing headlights, this would make a fine vehicle to get past everyone on the highways  :popo:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 12:38:48 pm »
If only you could opt for alternately flashing headlights, this would make a fine vehicle to get past everyone on the highways  :popo:

Why not just buy a white Crown Vic and stick some steel wheels and a CB antenna if you want to be "that guy" on the highway???  :popo: ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 12:54:07 pm »
I like that the new Chrysler is building some cars aimed at smaller parts of the market. Hopefully the Dart Rallye and/or the R/T will benefit from this approach too. While the 8 speed auto works well with the V6, it'd sure be nice to have a six speed manual in this Charger and a price a bit lower... A modern SuperBee.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 09:41:33 am »
I would actually consider a white one if I was in a market for a large sedan.. for the reasons you all know ;)

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 08:16:28 am »
Chrysler should be commended for making so many variations of this car but their range of offerings
just begs the question of why they won't drop the MANUAL from the Challenger into a Charger.

There should a 'stripper' model of the V6 with a minimum of gizmos and a manual option. It would be
totally unique in the market - the poor man's version of a RWD sport sedan .

The Camaro and Mustang are offered with a manual why can't we get a Charger with one?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 03:33:50 pm »
Chrysler should be commended for making so many variations of this car but their range of offerings
just begs the question of why they won't drop the MANUAL from the Challenger into a Charger.

There should a 'stripper' model of the V6 with a minimum of gizmos and a manual option. It would be

The Camaro and Mustang are offered with a manual why can't we get a Charger with one?

When was the last time you saw a full size car from anyone with a manual?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 07:57:13 pm »

The only car that I could think of that is still sold as  a manual is the accord sedan .It is big but not quite the size of a Charger.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 08:56:57 am »

That's a trick question: how many other full size cars are out there?

Besides, I think he offered that such a combo would be "totally unique" in any event.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 09:03:28 am »

They would be lucky to sell a dozen of them.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 10:41:24 am »
as much as i want one as well in manual, its not a smart marketing decision. they may offer one eventually, but the kind of people looking at a manual in north america tend to look at them for performance, fuel economy or general cash savings on price.

for each of those people, there would be better alternatives out there.

again... i'd still want one if they made it though. doesn't mean that i would actually put down the cash to get one though.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 10:53:25 am »
Mike make some sense to offer the SRT-8 model with a manual. I'd expect the take rate to be fairly low but it would be a neat option to have. They already have that powertrain in the Challenger so I don't imagine it would be difficult to implement in the Charger.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 10:55:58 am »
yeah, then at least they'd have that performance based customers needs met.

but SRT is such a minute section of sales anyway, to increase costs by altering the packages might still be something they hold out on until that last year of the drivetrain so they can ditch all the pre-paid componants.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:52:48 pm »
This car is based on the platform of the previous generation Mercedes E Class which was DEFINITELY sold with a manual.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 09:13:32 am »
This car is based on the platform of the previous generation Mercedes E Class which was DEFINITELY sold with a manual.

That's not really true. It does share some components with both the previous E-class and S-class but it is a distinct platform.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 09:21:19 am »

That's not really true. It does share some components with both the previous E-class and S-class but it is a distinct platform.

Yeah, it had bits and pieces from the old E-Class, but it was so overly publicized that it was the old E-Class everyone has kinda run with it.

Offline sportyclassic

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: in order of purchase 1981 Dodge Mirada, 1980 Buick Electra Park Avenue, 1988 Toyota Celica 4WD Turbo, 1996 Pontiac Transport, 1998 Honda Civic LX (Auto), 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport, 2003 Honda Pilot EXL, 2012 Dodge Charger SXT+ BT
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 11:47:58 am »
Great review I am not sure if it comes on the 13 but I would assume so. The Performance Brake Package is included with the 2012 Blacktop.  After I inquired about the details of the performance brake package on my 12 SXT+ BT Chrysler quickly removed the market specifications from their website at dodgepr.com/dodge/pdf/2012_DG_Charger_SP_Revised.pdf that give the detailed breakdown of all Charger variations. I was able to get a cached copy, (thanks google, no thanks Chrysler)determine that Blacktop also gets the performance brake package which gives you a 13.6 front rotor versus a 12.6 up front and dual piston calipers versus the single piston., rears stay the same. Mine has them and they work well. Handling and grip can be improved by changing out the stock Firestone Firehawk GTs which are a good high performance all season tire for a ultra high performance summer tire if you are able or need to run winter tires which I do or upgrade to a better performing AS.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:50:39 am by sportyclassic »

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 01:06:01 pm »
Great review I am not sure if it comes on the 13 but I would assume so. The Performance Brake Package is included with the 2012 Blacktop. 

Too bad they don't offer the opposite: a white top on a black model. I guess there's a reason why they don't.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 09:59:50 am »
Interesting that they do not show this at all on the Dodge.ca website and there is nothing in the "Build & Price" process that even offers it. That is a pretty bad website anyway so perhaps that's not surprising. I saw the SRT Superbee on there pictured in orange and thought it would be interesting to build one. Turns out you can't even get it in orange (they have adopted the GTI palette of black, gray, white, silver or red only). I thought I saw one here in town in yellow but I guess that's out now too.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.