Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Audi A7 TDI Technik  (Read 8076 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Audi A7 TDI Technik
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 08:42:30 pm »
A very nice car but I think I'd take my coin to a CLS550 (really, for cars in this territory, who cares about gas? Also the CLS looks better IMO) or a vanilla A6.

Out of all of these big German "4 door coupes" the winner from a styling perspective is still the original CLS though. Does not get sexier than that.

See, my thinking on it would be that I bought a big car with diesel for highway cruising range. With the 73L fuel tank and sipping fuel I bet this vehicle could drive about 1400KM on a single tank of fuel, where the gasoline models would have considerably less range.

Sure, but I'd rather have a V8 gasser with a 800km cruising range and get out of my car twice as often to admire its awesomeness.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 08:43:46 pm »
A very nice car but I think I'd take my coin to a CLS550 (really, for cars in this territory, who cares about gas? Also the CLS looks better IMO) or a vanilla A6.

Out of all of these big German "4 door coupes" the winner from a styling perspective is still the original CLS though. Does not get sexier than that.

See, my thinking on it would be that I bought a big car with diesel for highway cruising range. With the 73L fuel tank and sipping fuel I bet this vehicle could drive about 1400KM on a single tank of fuel, where the gasoline models would have considerably less range.

Sure, but I'd rather have a V8 gasser with a 800km cruising range and get out of my car twice as often to admire its awesomeness.

Looks are subjective...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 08:44:23 pm »

Looks are subjective...

Yes. So are most forum posts. :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 08:46:54 pm »

Looks are subjective...

True.  But my previous post was factual.   ;D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 08:47:58 pm »

Looks are subjective...

True.  But my previous post was factual.   ;D

So was mine. ;)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 09:29:08 pm »

Don't know many people that can go that long without stopping.  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 09:34:14 pm »

Don't know many people that can go that long without stopping.  ;)

That's why they make Depends!!  :)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2014 Audi A7 TDI Technik
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 10:04:59 pm »

Yup.  My dad can pretty much do 1400kms on 75L in his 06 E320 CDI on the highway in summer.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 10:43:13 pm »
I still like the A7 a lot but the appeal has waned a bit for me in two ways. First is the price, I don't perceive the A7 (or CLS) to be substantially better cars than their respective sedan brethren so in my mind the price premium over the sedan is a lot to pay for style. Second, in certain colours and lighting conditions the A7 has a few unflattering angles. There was a white one on display in the Winnipeg airport for a long time and I kept noticing that it did not always look very good format the rear in flat light. So I'm admiring, just not drooling.

Agreed.  I'd choose the "plain jane" sedan over these 4-door coupes and pocket the substantial change.  I generally appreciate the sedan styling more than these BIG coupes anyways.  Though I suspect I'm in the minority there.

If I'm buying a coupe, I want 2 doors and smaller than these suckers.

Having said all that, I still think the A7 is a very desirable car.  Just wouldn't be my choice over the alternatives.

I'm the same. Personally, I'd rather an A6 over this. However, if this niche IS your thing, this car is the one to buy.

And whats wrong with the CLS63?? I agree, Ive seen more and more of the A7 and the more I see, the less I like it, the front is nice but that azz is just....nope...no thank you. With the A6 being such a nice car, I dont see the point of paying that much more for a styling exercise. Also, in this class, diesel for me wouldnt even be a thought, I want a firebreathing V8, 10 or 12 with a couple of turbos slung off the side...or a blower on top.

You're comparing apples to oranges. The 3.0 TDI is no CLS63 competitor. Though there is a RS7 kicking around in the fleet. Maybe Jonathan can get his grubby little fingers on it in Toronto.

yeah, we should totally do something like that.... :think:

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-2014-audi-rs-7-vs-2014-mercedes-benz-cls-63-amg/
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 10:12:54 am »
I still like the A7 a lot but the appeal has waned a bit for me in two ways. First is the price, I don't perceive the A7 (or CLS) to be substantially better cars than their respective sedan brethren so in my mind the price premium over the sedan is a lot to pay for style. Second, in certain colours and lighting conditions the A7 has a few unflattering angles. There was a white one on display in the Winnipeg airport for a long time and I kept noticing that it did not always look very good format the rear in flat light. So I'm admiring, just not drooling.

Agreed.  I'd choose the "plain jane" sedan over these 4-door coupes and pocket the substantial change.  I generally appreciate the sedan styling more than these BIG coupes anyways.  Though I suspect I'm in the minority there.

Having said all that, I still think the A7 is a very desirable car.  Just wouldn't be my choice over the alternatives.

I'm the same. Personally, I'd rather an A6 over this. However, if this niche IS your thing, this car is the one to buy.

And whats wrong with the CLS63?? I agree, Ive seen more and more of the A7 and the more I see, the less I like it, the front is nice but that azz is just....nope...no thank you. With the A6 being such a nice car, I dont see the point of paying that much more for a styling exercise. Also, in this class, diesel for me wouldnt even be a thought, I want a firebreathing V8, 10 or 12 with a couple of turbos slung off the side...or a blower on top.

You're comparing apples to oranges. The 3.0 TDI is no CLS63 competitor. Though there is a RS7 kicking around in the fleet. Maybe Jonathan can get his grubby little fingers on it in Toronto.

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-2014-audi-rs-7-vs-2014-mercedes-benz-cls-63-amg/

I'm pretty sure I slept through Christmas Eve.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 10:16:27 am »

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2014, 12:07:40 pm »

Said RS7 is in my hands at the moment. Lovely thing, that.

However, I also had this A7 TDI. It's fantastic - I took a road trip from Toronto to the Thousand Islands and back, and it didn't even drink close to a whole tank of gas! Plus, the powertrain is so smooth you can't really tell it's a diesel.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 05:36:11 pm »
I'm going from Southampton, Ontario to Maritimes.  In the past the routing would have been through Canada but by crossing at Fort Erie it will save me gas money using I90 & I95 to Bar Harbor then into St Andrews-By-The-Sea.

I checked out Portland to Yarmouth to Portland Me. Ferry but their new business model  and pricing puts them too rich for me.

I get 800 kms but usually refill at 600 kms. 

A long way to go for some lobster!  3 weeks of great maritime welcoming people.  Any suggestions welcomed?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2014, 05:45:24 pm »
I'm going from Southampton, Ontario to Maritimes.  In the past the routing would have been through Canada but by crossing at Fort Erie it will save me gas money using I90 & I95 to Bar Harbor then into St Andrews-By-The-Sea.

I checked out Portland to Yarmouth to Portland Me. Ferry but their new business model  and pricing puts them too rich for me.

I get 800 kms but usually refill at 600 kms. 

A long way to go for some lobster!  3 weeks of great maritime welcoming people.  Any suggestions welcomed?

95 doesn't go to Bar Harbour...get off at Bangor and then Route 9 to the border crossing at Calais/St Stephen.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 05:47:58 pm »
Thanks. sailor723. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile