Author Topic: Monday Rant: Mirror, Mirror on the Door  (Read 14785 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: Monday Rant: Mirror, Mirror on the Door
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2013, 01:52:32 pm »
i really dislike those mirrors that tilt down in reverse... they show the curb sure, maybe i'm crazy, but i know where the curb is prior to reversing and i'd prefer to have the mirrors stay up to show proximity to whatever is beside you.

when i'm reversing, i do the ole arm over the passenger seat and back up... no need for cameras or mirrors. those are for backing into tight spots, lining up cars on a lot, garaging it, or hitching up something. at least to me.

Turn it off. On both BMW and Honda that I've owned the feature can be defeated by setting the power mirror adjustment switch to the middle position. It does come very handy at times when you need to make sure you are as close to the curb as possible short of scraping the rims of when an obstacle is sticking out but not otherwise visible like a short post for example.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2013, 02:07:17 pm »
yeah, for sure... just pisses me off since i'm in the car for all of a minute, parking it on the lot. luckily only a few chrysler cars have it.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2013, 06:36:29 pm »
i really dislike those mirrors that tilt down in reverse... they show the curb sure, maybe i'm crazy, but i know where the curb is prior to reversing and i'd prefer to have the mirrors stay up to show proximity to whatever is beside you.

when i'm reversing, i do the ole arm over the passenger seat and back up... no need for cameras or mirrors. those are for backing into tight spots, lining up cars on a lot, garaging it, or hitching up something. at least to me.

Turn it off. On both BMW and Honda that I've owned the feature can be defeated by setting the power mirror adjustment switch to the middle position. It does come very handy at times when you need to make sure you are as close to the curb as possible short of scraping the rims of when an obstacle is sticking out but not otherwise visible like a short post for example.

On my dad's E-Class, you can adjust where you want the mirrors to be when in reverse.  Can't do that on the BMW or Honda?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2013, 08:28:31 pm »
FGC mirror

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 02:08:58 am »
I've owned vehicle for 50 years and did not realize till about two years ago that I had my mirrors in the wrong position (a tip from a suggestion on a forum that pointed to this error), now I've adjusted them to the correct position as stated in the article and videos
Here is Jim Kenzie's comment

http://www.motoringtv.com/jim-kenzie-proves-there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-blind-spot--p151683

It takes a bit of getting used to but it works great, now there is no more blind spots.

After seeing Mr. Kenzie say too many ignorant/redneck things about cyclists and environmental issues, I place little credibility in what he has to say about anything.  His comments on mirror adjustment did not improve this opinion.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2013, 09:59:37 am »
On my dad's E-Class, you can adjust where you want the mirrors to be when in reverse.  Can't do that on the BMW or Honda?
It certainly is programmable on the BMW. On the Honda I haven't tried it yet.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2013, 10:02:19 am »
I've owned vehicle for 50 years and did not realize till about two years ago that I had my mirrors in the wrong position (a tip from a suggestion on a forum that pointed to this error), now I've adjusted them to the correct position as stated in the article and videos

http://www.motoringtv.com/jim-kenzie-proves-there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-blind-spot--p151683

It takes a bit of getting used to but it works great, now there is no more blind spots.

I am one of those who see the side of the car in the mirrors. My explanation/excuse for that has always been seeing the side of my car gives me a spacial reference point.
What Jim says makes sense. I am definitely going to at least try it.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2013, 10:09:51 am »
After seeing Mr. Kenzie say too many ignorant/redneck things about cyclists and environmental issues, I place little credibility in what he has to say about anything.  His comments on mirror adjustment did not improve this opinion.

what the heck are you talking about?  his view on mirrors has nothing to do with his view on environment or cyclists.

this IS the right way to adjust mirrors to reduce blind spot as much as possible.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Monday Rant: Mirror, Mirror on the Door
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51:12 am »

That makes perfect sense to me.  If you're a radical enviro nut, you don't need mirrors.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline lostcomma

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 02:12:30 am »
Bicycles are supposed to do what? Bicyclist are just car drivers (some good, lots not so good) that have now regressed into a 14 year olds perspective on following the rules of the road because that is when a bike was their main wheels. They are also without the protection of a 3000 Lb vehicle.
As far mirrors go I don't use this method as I really need to know what is behind (no inside mirror) but I adjust them so I see a sliver of the my vehicle when I turn my head, and use a convex for blind spots. Works for me, and I have never had anyone die in the accidents I have been involved in this year ;D
 To some degree this is all for naught, I used to believe that all vehicles should have turn indicators on the side of the vehicle like most european cars have, but then I realized they are pretty useless because such a large part of the driving public don't use turn signals anyway. Doesn't matter how people set their mirrors if the don't use them.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2013, 03:46:31 am »
Why do you care what is behind you? 

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2013, 03:52:37 pm »
Why do you care what is behind you?

I keep track of what the cars around me are doing, including those behind.  This results into fewer surprises and allows me, for example, to make lane changes without cutting others off.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport