Author Topic: Comparison Test: Best Fuel Efficient Cars  (Read 31158 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Comparison Test: Best Fuel Efficient Cars
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2012, 01:14:16 pm »
Volt sales in the US:  2011 - 7,671, 2012 YTD - 20,828
Canada Volt sales :  2011 - 275, 2012 YTD - 1,168

November sales in the US:  2011 - 1,139, 2012 - 1,519
November sales in Canada:  2011 - 28, 2012 - 93
i would be curious to see what the sales numbers would be like if you and i weren't paying for every single one sold.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Best Fuel Efficient Cars
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2012, 06:42:11 pm »
So the rule of thumb is 1:3 for tonnes of coal burnt to CO2 produced.
i'm no scientist, but that still doesn't make sense...when you burn coal, you are releasing the contents of coal as it is burnt for fuel...you aren't using nuclear fusion here, combining molecules to end up with "more weight" than what you started with...if you are burning 90% carbon coal, then let's pretend the left over 10% is the O2...if you burned 10 tons of coal, you would have 1 ton of O2 released.

isn't that how it works?

Combustion means combining with oxygen from the ambient air, so that's where the extra mass comes from. 

1ton of carbon plus 2 tons of oxygen =3 tons co2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2012, 01:46:39 am »
Volt sales in the US:  2011 - 7,671, 2012 YTD - 20,828
Canada Volt sales :  2011 - 275, 2012 YTD - 1,168

November sales in the US:  2011 - 1,139, 2012 - 1,519
November sales in Canada:  2011 - 28, 2012 - 93

Those November numbers are actually low numbers too due to low inventory of the 4 week shutdown of DHAM to tool for the 2014 Impala.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/chevrolet-volt-sales-figures.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:00:32 am by Neromanceres »

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2012, 01:50:50 am »
Cabin heat is a major issue.

I think that is very subjective and highly overrated.  Every vehicle takes some time to warm up.  My Volt has to be the by far the fasted vehicle to warm up I have ever owned.  Mind you if you do have it in comfort mode it will suck those electrons quick till the coolant is up to temperature.  The defroster is what really sucks on electrons and eats the EV range.

In comfort mode the 360V DC electric heater can consume up to 7KW of power.  That's like running 5 space heaters at the same time.  Don't worry it can bring the heat if you ask for it.

I usually keep it in ECO mode  (limits the heater to 3KW) and run the seat heaters full out (90W each on full).   ECO does take a while to bring the cabin to temperature but the seat heaters use practically negligible power and keep your buns and back nice and toasty.

I think on the article you linked the user had his electric heater fuse open.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:03:09 am by Neromanceres »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2012, 10:05:16 am »
i sat in a volt last year at the car show and was dumbfounded by the terrible quality of the materials.  the interior felt cheap.   it looked like a gm parts bin car from 10 years ago.  at least with the new ats, gm showed that they could design a well crafted interior when they actually want to.  as for the the exterior? it is sophomoric at best.  ohhhhh it's eeeeelectric so let's make it look like a circuit board.   how creative!!   ::)   the future is not tron, that was the early 80's.

wow I have no idea what car you sat in, but it sure was not a Volt. That car has some of the best build quality I have ever seen from a GM product.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2012, 10:08:30 am »
i sat in a volt last year at the car show and was dumbfounded by the terrible quality of the materials.  the interior felt cheap.   it looked like a gm parts bin car from 10 years ago.  at least with the new ats, gm showed that they could design a well crafted interior when they actually want to.  as for the the exterior? it is sophomoric at best.  ohhhhh it's eeeeelectric so let's make it look like a circuit board.   how creative!!   ::)   the future is not tron, that was the early 80's.

wow I have no idea what car you sat in, but it sure was not a Volt. That car has some of the best build quality I have ever seen from a GM product.

I agree, the Volt interior is great for what the car is.  Some may not like its Maytag-Appliance center stack, but I think in a 'future-technology" car it works.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2013, 06:05:43 am »
Just a note on Prius fuel consumption numbers.  I'm getting around 5.1 on the last three tankfuls on my '07 which has included minus 15 weather with snow, 400 series highway driving and city driving.  About 10% to 15% better than the Echo. 

However, given the fuel tank bladder issue, that makes it hard to really fill the tank consistently, I can't totally vouch for the accuracy of the fuel computer.  Ditto I'm sure for all the vehicles in this test given the relatively short distances involved.

My area is fairly hilly and I have Nokian WR2s on and don't hold up traffic.   Acceleration from a dead stop is less than burnout rate however.

One thing the reviewers of the comparo failed to mention is how quiet the Prius is, ICE on or off.  This is the most important component of any luxury vehicle in my view.  I'm sure the other vehicles are quiet as well (as are probably all midsized new cars).

If they can match the incredibly slick technology of the Prius then the automotive world is indeed making progress.

Cheers and Happy New Year,
John M.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:11:50 am by JohnM »