Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1068192 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Mountain Bikes
« Reply #1240 on: April 22, 2014, 08:57:26 pm »
Be honest....How much do you really think you will be riding? Distance and time? 

Personally I believe unless you are going mtn biking do not buy a bike with a suspension. All it does is zap your energy from moving the bike. Its simple physics.

There is nothing wrong with that Costco bike but ask any bike mechanic which bikes do they replace more parts on. There is a reason they are cheap (no offence to anybody with one). I'm not saying you need a $1,000 bike but if you plan on riding more than to the corner store your $5-600 budget should get a nice hybrid.

Check out Kona, Giant, Trek, Specialized. All will have something in your price range.

I expect we will be riding on weekends - and the odd summer weekday evening.  Distance?  No idea - but I have no plans for long distance excursions.

You say there is a reason the Costco bikes are cheap - but you haven't shared the reason.  So what separates a $200 bike from a $600 bike from a $2000 bike?  What is "better" as you go up in price, and is it a difference that I will perceive in some way in the course of my intended use?  I know what you get for your money as you go up in price for shoes, suits, watches, knives and cars.   For bikes I know squat.

Thanks for the brand recommendations.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: April 22, 2014, 09:01:38 pm »
^^For the basic riding you'll be doing...I don't see any advantage of a multi thousand dollar bike  over a $200 CDN Tire bike.

I have a POS mountain bike in my garage.  No idea where it came from.  But it gets to the park, the ice cream store, etc just as well as any bike.  I sometime steal the boys BMX bike too.  Same thing.

I think if you were going to be more serious, a better, lighter bike would be in order.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #1242 on: April 22, 2014, 09:07:01 pm »
Be honest....How much do you really think you will be riding? Distance and time? 

Personally I believe unless you are going mtn biking do not buy a bike with a suspension. All it does is zap your energy from moving the bike. Its simple physics.

There is nothing wrong with that Costco bike but ask any bike mechanic which bikes do they replace more parts on. There is a reason they are cheap (no offence to anybody with one). I'm not saying you need a $1,000 bike but if you plan on riding more than to the corner store your $5-600 budget should get a nice hybrid.

Check out Kona, Giant, Trek, Specialized. All will have something in your price range.

I expect we will be riding on weekends - and the odd summer weekday evening.  Distance?  No idea - but I have no plans for long distance excursions.

You say there is a reason the Costco bikes are cheap - but you haven't shared the reason.  So what separates a $200 bike from a $600 bike from a $2000 bike?  What is "better" as you go up in price, and is it a difference that I will perceive in some way in the course of my intended use?  I know what you get for your money as you go up in price for shoes, suits, watches, knives and cars.   For bikes I know squat.

Thanks for the brand recommendations.

I was in the same position. Your best bet is to go to a specialty bike store, talk to someone, and try out some of the bikes. Also go to CT and check out some lower priced bikes. You'll be in a better position to decide.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #1243 on: April 22, 2014, 09:19:55 pm »
Sorry, must have been the way I wrote it. Cheap bikes have cheap parts that can and will fail. Some can be easily replaced but others will cost you. Pay now or pay later. Any good and honest mechanic will tell you that.

There is a difference between a $200 and $500 bike. Quality of the frame, rims, gears....they all add up to make a better riding experience. Also better bikes tend to fit better which means you will have less fatigue and enjoy riding more. My SIL bought a nice Giant hybrid for $500 and she could even tell the difference between that one and the cheaper models. Then she rode the Mrs' bike ($1000 quite a few years ago) and instantly notice how much nicer it rode.

Best way to decide if you can notice is go to a shop that sells bike below $600 and ride a few.

Warning: If you do buy a bike from Costco or Canadian Tire triple check every single piece that can move.

Btw, that bike at Costo weighs OVER 35 pounds! That is crazy.  You don't need to buy a sub 20 pound bike but a descent hybrid should be around 25 pounds give or take.

Only you can decide what value you are willing to pay for. For basic and simple riding, a $200 bike will do everything a $500 bike will. Then again, a $10K car will do everything a $20K car will. You have to decide if its worth it.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 22, 2014, 09:22:28 pm »
The most important thing about a bike is the fit.  Much like a running show, having proper bike fit is key (I would say more important than weight).

Here's a good fit calculator.  You should bring a tape measure when shopping (even at Costco, Canadian Tire).  Even at a good bike shop - if they only tell you to straddle the bike, then they don't really care if it fits.  A very important measure is the top tube length and stem length, since we are all proportioned differently.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

One thing you can do at a specialty bike shop is get them to swap out the handlebar stem if it's not the right length.  Too long or short a top tube and/or stem and you will be quite uncomfortable.  Also, you might be able to get a shop to swap out tires - i.e., if you're mostly going to be on paved, smooth trails, you might want slicks, or less knobby tires on a mountain bike.

Lot's of good bikes in the $600+ range.  Just from Kona, I like these for weekend recreational riding.
http://www.konaworld.com/splice-r.cfm

http://www.konaworld.com/dew_plus.cfm
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: April 22, 2014, 09:22:36 pm »

Btw, that bike at Costo weighs OVER 35 pounds! That is crazy. 

I thought riding bikes was about exercise and fitness?  Riding a heavier bike is a better workout!!   ;)

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 22, 2014, 09:23:30 pm »
Then again, a $10K car will do everything a $20K car will. You have to decide if its worth it.

If I was using it once a week for a couple hours, I'd likely go for the $10K car.   ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #1247 on: April 22, 2014, 09:24:18 pm »
Good info guys - thanks.

Would disk brakes be the rule or the exception at this price point?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 22, 2014, 09:27:39 pm »
Btw, that bike at Costo weighs OVER 35 pounds! That is crazy. 

I thought riding bikes was about exercise and fitness?  Riding a heavier bike is a better workout!!   ;)

I was less fit when I had a heavier bike.  :P  I know you are being funny but I find that most people that bought a crap/heavy bike don't ride it because they have a crap/heavy bike.

Then again, a $10K car will do everything a $20K car will. You have to decide if its worth it.

If I was using it once a week for a couple hours, I'd likely go for the $10K car.   ;D

I agree which is why I said, he has to decide if its worth it.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:53 pm »
Good info guys - thanks.

Would disk brakes be the rule or the exception at this price point?

You don't "need" disc brakes but if its something you want, look for them.  But I'm thinking you are on the line at $500 on a mtn bike but a hybrid probably won't have any.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: April 22, 2014, 09:30:23 pm »
I tried a bike not too long ago that was supremely comfortable and rode very well.  The style was called "Beach Cruiser".  Seems something like that would be a good weekend bike.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1251 on: April 22, 2014, 10:15:48 pm »
Knowing what I know now, I would never recommend buying a bike from Canadian Tire, or Costco, or any other place that doesn't specialize in bikes.  I've seen what happens when an inexperienced pimply-faced teenager on a summer job has screwed in/stripped the threads on the pedals while assembling bikes.  It ain't pretty.  Actually, when the pedal gave out at high speed, it resulted in a tumble and injury for my boyfriend's son.

Jaeger, from what I know about you, quality is of paramount importance.  Apply the same principal to this purchase, and go with the experts.  It's not a huge budget stretch to go to a real bike shop, and get something that will last you a long time, with the quality service and workmanship that goes along with it. 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 22, 2014, 10:42:07 pm »
Here is my Giant that I got in 2005: I believe it was almost $500. I think it needs a new cassette but other than that, it rides like new.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #1253 on: April 23, 2014, 09:10:37 am »
Knowing what I know now, I would never recommend buying a bike from Canadian Tire, or Costco, or any other place that doesn't specialize in bikes.  I've seen what happens when an inexperienced pimply-faced teenager on a summer job has screwed in/stripped the threads on the pedals while assembling bikes.  It ain't pretty.  Actually, when the pedal gave out at high speed, it resulted in a tumble and injury for my boyfriend's son.

Jaeger, from what I know about you, quality is of paramount importance.  Apply the same principal to this purchase, and go with the experts.  It's not a huge budget stretch to go to a real bike shop, and get something that will last you a long time, with the quality service and workmanship that goes along with it.

:iagree:

go to your local bike shop.  you'll not only find a quality bike but a bike built properly and have support from the shop.   Both local shops that I deal with have people looking for help on a purchase they've done from a big box store due a failing apart bike from being built by someone didn't really know how to do it.

DISC BRAKES....  looking around the shop at $500 you won't likely have it BUT if it's not that much more to spring for it, I'd go for it.   Disc brakes are soooooooo much better.   At the low price points they won't be hydraulic (they're mechanical instead) so it'll be nearly no maintenance.   

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 23, 2014, 09:19:16 am »
DISC BRAKES....  looking around the shop at $500 you won't likely have it BUT if it's not that much more to spring for it, I'd go for it.   Disc brakes are soooooooo much better.   At the low price points they won't be hydraulic (they're mechanical instead) so it'll be nearly no maintenance.

True but will it even matter for somebody going for just a Sunday ride? In the mtn biking world I would push for it but on a hybrid for fun, not a must have.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 23, 2014, 12:24:19 pm »

True but will it even matter for somebody going for just a Sunday ride? In the mtn biking world I would push for it but on a hybrid for fun, not a must have.

I don't disagree.   It's certainly not a must have and I didn't mean to give that impression.
I guess the point I was trying to make is, if there's a model for $50 more (give or take) and it has disc brakes, I'd say it's worth going for it.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 23, 2014, 12:40:23 pm »

I don't disagree.   It's certainly not a must have and I didn't mean to give that impression.
I guess the point I was trying to make is, if there's a model for $50 more (give or take) and it has disc brakes, I'd say it's worth going for it.

Fair point.  I'm not going to jump to a whole different price class just for that feature - but if it's available in the general ball park I'll get it.

I'll check out a local bike shop or two this weekend and see what they come up with.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1257 on: April 23, 2014, 03:51:28 pm »

Fair point.  I'm not going to jump to a whole different price class just for that feature - but if it's available in the general ball park I'll get it.

I'll check out a local bike shop or two this weekend and see what they come up with.

Go Here: http://www.cyclepath.ca/shop/index.php

The people and service are great and I now get an automatic 15% discount as soon as I walk in.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 23, 2014, 04:30:21 pm »
and I now get an automatic 15% discount as soon as I walk in.

i get 20% from my shop
 :P

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1259 on: April 23, 2014, 05:01:54 pm »
and I now get an automatic 15% discount as soon as I walk in.

i get 20% from my shop
 :P

Well when I spend as much as you do I'm sure they will step it up  :)