Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1067253 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Mountain Bikes
« Reply #1220 on: April 18, 2014, 05:01:02 pm »
I'm done with using my phone for tracking and analyzing my rides. What is the best GPS system out there right now?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1221 on: April 18, 2014, 05:01:33 pm »
Going to be an awesome weekend for cycling, low winds and and sun!

YEAH!  It looks like only this afternoon will be rain but good after that. Possible of 20C for Monday....might have to try for Milton again if my Mom doesn't come to visit. Of course, I could always drop her off at that new outlet mall and do my ride.

on Monday?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #1222 on: April 18, 2014, 05:11:30 pm »
I'm done with using my phone for tracking and analyzing my rides. What is the best GPS system out there right now?

Garmin.  Battery life is 15 hours.

http://www.mec.ca/shop/cycling-bike-computers-garmin/50002+50331+4294962109/?h=10+50002+50023+50331

Don't bother with the 200.

The 500/510 doesn't do maps but does all the recording.

The 800/810 adds maps.

The Edge Touring also does maps and has a create routes on the fly function.

You just need to decide which function are more important to you. This guy does really good reviews which may help your decision.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

I still use a 500 and it works great for cycling and hiking. While I would like to have a map for new rides I create I have found a couple of phone apps that I can use in case I get lost. That way I don't need to have a phone on all the time.

EDIT: And start using Strava  :P

on Monday?

Yes hopefully. Still some factors in play (weather, timing) but should have a better idea by Sunday night. I'll email you if I'm going.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:22:16 pm by quadzilla »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 19, 2014, 04:51:42 pm »
Cool. Rode today...why is is sooooo facking hard to break 30 kph average  >:(

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 19, 2014, 05:03:21 pm »
Cool. Rode today...why is is sooooo facking hard to break 30 kph average  >:(

Hills and headwinds....they get you every time.  8)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 20, 2014, 04:47:09 pm »
And speaking of headwinds and hills.....Went with the Mrs for her first ride today and we decided to make it a butter tart ride @ Goodwood. She did great and the winds were out of a southern direction which means descending with tailwinds and climbing into the headwinds. At least it was very nice out. I rode my beater bike and it felt good to wear comfy bike shoes and take it easy for a change.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: April 20, 2014, 04:57:53 pm »
And speaking of headwinds and hills.....Went with the Mrs for her first ride today and we decided to make it a butter tart ride @ Goodwood. She did great and the winds were out of a southern direction which means descending with tailwinds and climbing into the headwinds. At least it was very nice out. I rode my beater bike and it felt good to wear comfy bike shoes and take it easy for a change.

Same here  :) I went on my recovery ride today with my wife...in her defense she did weights for an hour in the morning and struggled up the hills  :P

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 20, 2014, 06:59:54 pm »

Same here  :) I went on my recovery ride today with my wife...in her defense she did weights for an hour in the morning and struggled up the hills  :P

:thumbup:

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #1228 on: April 21, 2014, 10:20:59 am »
no rides this weekend   :'(
but I got the garage totally re-organized to fit all the bikes.
did a crap load of yardwork and went to a beer fest on Saturday.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 21, 2014, 04:22:49 pm »
So close to 50mph today.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: April 21, 2014, 05:34:29 pm »
For Snowman or anybody else interested in my Milton loop.

Checked the forecast and noticed that today will be the best day this week. Left home and temp was 12C, got to Milton and it was already 17C. Getting away from the lake can make a big difference. By time I finished it was 23C! Winds were strong from the west but not cold at all.

For some reason I find my Milton route kicks my ass every time. While the top section is fun and has only one challenging climb the bottom section has more climbing overall plus it also has 3 very challenging climbs.

Total distance is 58.4km (36.3 miles) and 747m (2451 feet) of climbing. Here is the elevation profile.

First climb is up 6th line. While it may feel very hard while climbing just keep thinking that this is the easiest of the four climbs. Thankfully around the halfway there is a very short section to catch your breath before the last push to the top.  The best part of this climb is you get to come back down it and the pavement is smooth as glass. Just make note of the wind direction as you can catch a bad cross wind halfway down.

Second climb is up Appleby. The crap part is you have a stop sign and right turn just at the bottom of the climb so you lose any momentum before starting....not that it will be lasting long. The first half of the climb is the hardest and gets 'easier' the further you go. Of the four climbs I actually like this one the most. Maybe its because I'm warmed up and feeling good before the next one kicks my ass.

Third climb Bell School Line aka "Pain Cave". The first time I rode up it the trees were in full bloom and it looks like you are riding into either a black hole or wall...both are correct. To make sure the climb is as hard as it can be the actual climb starts right from Derry Rd and its a slow grind before the pain starts. Thankfully (again) there is a very short break in the middle of the hardest part.

The fourth and final climb is Rattlesnake which I have never loved but keep going back for more. Just like BSL the full climb starts right from Derry Rd but it starts off steeper than BSL did. OH JOY! Don't forget to look to your right as you can see downtown TO just before you get to the hairpin turn.....that is if you can still see straight of course. Once you make the two turns things get better but the 5% grade can still feels like 10% by then.

WARNING: All the steep descents on the bottom half of the route still have a lot of gravel on the road, be very careful.

Some good news is they put down some new pavement on 6th line between 15th and 20th side roads. Also on Cambleville Rd between 6th Line and 401 which really needed replacing as it was getting dangerous. Sadly they didn't add a shoulder to ride on despite knowing (how could they not) this road has very heavy cycling traffic.

Some really good news for me is it took me only 16 seconds longer vs the first time last year and last year I went to Spain to train.  Was very happy about that.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 21, 2014, 09:51:38 pm »
 :fiver: I wish I could have gone and did not even get my ride in today due to family commitments....37 kph average....fack.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 22, 2014, 07:44:32 am »
:fiver: I wish I could have gone and did not even get my ride in today due to family commitments....37 kph average....fack.

Missed having you out there, more so every time I turned west into that wind.  ;D

Think you misread that avg. It was 37 MILE PER HOUR but that was ONLY for that downhill segment. For the entire loop it was 26.7kph (16.6 mph).

http://www.strava.com/activities/132764138

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #1233 on: April 22, 2014, 06:54:36 pm »
I'll admit I'm too lazy to scroll through 64 pages - so apologies if this has already been asked.

I last owned a bike when I was 16.  Back then - when dinosaurs still walked the earth - 10 speeds were plenty.  Mountain bikes did not exist.

Fast forward several decades and I need a bike to go riding with my daughter.  This will mostly be roads and sidewalks around my neighborhood.  My recent effort to go bike shopping was a case of information and choice overload.  And I don't know if the bike I envision even exists.  It seems like the multiple options fall into either one of two categories - something designed to go barreling down the side of a mountain, with shocks bigger than those on my car - or something ready for entry in the Tour-de-france.  The tooling around the neighborhood with daughter bike seems like a non-existent demographic.

So... what do I need to spend to get something decent (not something that will impress the bike crowd - just something reasonably good) and do you all have any recommendations?

Bonus points for anyone with a good local (Oakville) source for used bikes.

No, taking a pair of bolt cutters to the bike rack at the GO station does not count.  :rofl2:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:26 pm »
So... what do I need to spend to get something decent (not something that will impress the bike crowd - just something reasonably good) and do you all have any recommendations?

Sound like a hybrid is what you are looking for.  A bit beefier than a road bike but not as big as a mtn bike.

What is your budget? Should still be able to find some left over models from last year.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #1235 on: April 22, 2014, 07:02:06 pm »

Sound like a hybrid is what you are looking for.  A bit beefier than a road bike but not as big as a mtn bike.

What is your budget? Should still be able to find some left over models from last year.

I know you can spend ridiculous amounts of money on a bike - but I already have enough things that I spend ridiculous amounts of money on - so I'm thinking $500 - $600?  It's not a budgetary limit in the sense that I couldn't possibly spend more - I just don't want to if I don't have to.  And it would be great to spend less.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #1236 on: April 22, 2014, 07:14:21 pm »

I know you can spend ridiculous amounts of money on a bike - but I already have enough things that I spend ridiculous amounts of money on - so I'm thinking $500 - $600?  It's not a budgetary limit in the sense that I couldn't possibly spend more - I just don't want to if I don't have to.  And it would be great to spend less.

$500 to $600 will get you a great hybrid with parts that will most likely last forever.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1237 on: April 22, 2014, 07:46:01 pm »
This looks like what I've had for years from Costco and it's been great:

http://www.costco.ca/Infinity%E2%84%A2-Backroads-66-cm-%2826-in.%29-Men%E2%80%99s-MTB-Bicycle.product.100112313.html

Aluminum frame, Shimano components.

What the bike shop version of the same thing will buy you is the tune up, which is handy if you are not mechanically inclined.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 22, 2014, 07:54:23 pm »
^^^ Thanks guys.  That Costco option looks pretty good to me - anyone else have thoughts on this one or other options?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 22, 2014, 08:45:49 pm »
Be honest....How much do you really think you will be riding? Distance and time? 

Personally I believe unless you are going mtn biking do not buy a bike with a suspension. All it does is zap your energy from moving the bike. Its simple physics.

There is nothing wrong with that Costco bike but ask any bike mechanic which bikes do they replace more parts on. There is a reason they are cheap (no offence to anybody with one). I'm not saying you need a $1,000 bike but if you plan on riding more than to the corner store your $5-600 budget should get a nice hybrid.

Check out Kona, Giant, Trek, Specialized. All will have something in your price range.