Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1067209 times)

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #2520 on: October 21, 2014, 02:01:31 pm »
In case any of you ever go for a hilly ride with Quad

http://youtu.be/nw7HC8z_zZs

Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2521 on: October 21, 2014, 02:49:01 pm »
 :rofl2:

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: October 21, 2014, 03:06:03 pm »

Hilarious  :rofl2:
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2523 on: October 21, 2014, 04:57:44 pm »
the used market is easy for me but finding her size is a massive challange. 

on a side note I'm working on a HUGE tour Thursday.. 

The plan was the entire Niagara Circle Route however I'm adding to it.
Planning to hit up two Breweries and a Winery.   
I have a feeling I'm going to be taking on much more than I'm ready for
 :banana:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2524 on: October 22, 2014, 06:25:07 pm »

How did you know I used those excuses.  ;D

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2525 on: October 22, 2014, 08:06:03 pm »
Been out on the mountain bike for a couple rides this week and have had a blast! Weather forecast is okay for the next few days, but a little iffy after that. Hoping to get a few more rides on the old girl before the snow flies, then I'll be spending the winter skiing and researching a new bike for the spring!

The plan is to sell a motorcycle, which should bring in $6-7,000. Which, coincidentally, is the number I threw around in the "What bike have you been drooling over thread." http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,88259.msg1007638.html#msg1007638

I'm leaning towards the Stumpjumper FSR Evo and an RRSP contribution, but we'll see how it plays out. :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:09:20 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2526 on: October 22, 2014, 08:18:07 pm »
Nice!  Not that I'd go down that hill for any amount of money.   ;D  Enjoy, and look forward to hearing whatcha gettin' in the new year.   :)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2527 on: October 23, 2014, 08:44:11 am »
 :thumbup:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2528 on: October 23, 2014, 10:49:08 am »
We're supposed to get a weather turn here too soon, so my plan is to take the bike out and smash as many trails as possible today.  I've managed to get 40km of running in this week (my calf is holding up, yay!) but since the bike's days are numbered for this season, I'm going to get after it in the saddle for the next little while.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: October 24, 2014, 11:57:46 am »
my longest ride this year: 60km
my longest ride ever: 120km (almost 10 years ago!)

yesterday I did 150km   :o
I'm hurting!!!  but when I get a chance I'll post up a little write up.   Sadly, with no computer at home I have to wait to upload to Strava.   

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: October 24, 2014, 01:08:47 pm »
My original goal yesterday was to ride the entire Niagara Circle Route.  I’ve done it only once before, nearly 10 years ago on a charity ride.  If memory serves it was about 120km.
A Century!!!!   So getting a century done was really what I was aiming for.
Over the last couple days I decided to add a couple destinations, 1 winery and 2 breweries.

I left home at 8:30am – it was about 3 degrees and sunny but I knew it was going to warm up to about 15, so I loaded up on layers which can come off as it warmed up.  (Panniers are great to have for this!)  I followed the Welland Canal path going south from Welland to Port Colborne.  I had to stop half way to lose some layers already.   

Once in Port Colborne, you cross the canal and it’s a West to East ride on the Friendship Trail (an old railway converted into a path)  I was setting a nice pace but do to lots of road crossing that pace was always interrupted.   I made to Fort Erie and it was just a nice stunning day.  At this point I had done about 60km and started to realize I was likely going to do far more than 100k today.   In Fort Erie, you turn heading north along the Niagara Parkway.  There is a path but due to the nature of it, the road is faster and smoother. 
The moment I started North I realized the easy good times were over.  I was fighting a head wind and it started to take its toll. 

Once in Niagara Falls, I started to worry fighting the wind was going to burn me out.  At this point I was still only at about 85km.  So much more to go….   But a fun moment was seeing a nice new Mercedes CLA pulled to the side being photographed.  Strange…   Then a beautiful new blue Volvo V60 passed me and pulled into the next lot with the driver taking pictures.  Hmmmmm….  Out of nowhere I realized, Test Fest!  LOL   Now I was always looking out for more vehicles, like the GM Twins but that was pretty much it….

The Falls where pretty busy for this time of year but not enough to be troublesome. 
I was still feeling pretty good as I pushed into Queenston and began going down the escarpment, I knew I was approaching my first destination.  Frog Pond Winery….
The road to turn off was closed and it forced a detour, that total detour cost me an extra 5 or so km.   I picked up two bottles of Gamay Noir and headed back to the Parkway and into Niagara-On-The-Lake.   

At this point, we would usually go through NOTL and onto Lakeshore Rd, however I had other stops and needed to head down Hwy55 (Niagara Stone Rd)… this is a very busy 80km/h road.  The bonus was that it was so busy, the traffic wasn’t too fast. 
I arrived in Virgil and stopped at Oast House Brewers.  At this point I was at about 105k and my legs were pretty tired.  I needed food.   At this time of year the brewery didn’t have food, but I had a couple samples and picked up two 750ml bottles of beer.  I got a recommendation on food and road off.   15 minutes later I arrived at a small restaurant / bakery that was across the street of my final destination, Silver Smith Brewery.    I ate, had a tasty Silver Smith Black Lager and went over to pick up 3 more 750ml bottles.   Now I had 7 big bottles and the bike was HEAVY!!!!   Panniers totally full… at this point it was time to get moving, I was hoping to get home before 5pm.

While I could have ridden along Hwy55 West towards the Welland Canal, I decided to try and stay true to the Circle Route.  I took a small winding road north to get connected to Lakeshore (this was adding more k)… Then heading up Lakeshore to the start of the Welland Canal.   From there in St Catharines, I took the road (instead of the path) along the Canal towards Thorold.   When I turned to head back South, something happened.   While I was already getting pretty sore, I wasn’t feeling too bad.   But I somehow turned in a strange way and something happened to my knee.  Clipping back in to start riding through the intersection my left knee was in total pain. (crap)…  I pushed on and if I kept my speed up above 24km/h it didn’t bother me too much, anything slower would just kill me. 
At this point I was around 120k.     In Thorold, I took the path… I couldn’t keep my speed up and the big escarpment climb was on.  At this point my arse was starting to hurt, my knee was brutal and legs kept telling me to take a break.   But I just wanted to get home now and enjoy some beer.    I made it up the escarpment and pushed on.  I made small goals, each time I hit a landmark I kept telling myself how much closer to home I was. 
I didn’t even want to get off the bike now because putting my arse back on it hurt so much!

I made it back in town, the last 4k had 4 lights / stops and that just about killed me.  Getting in the driveway I nearly fell over and could barely walk.  I couldn’t bend my knee!!!!
Somehow I managed to get my bike put away, brought my panniers inside (steps never hurt so much!) and got changed.   I iced my knee and forced myself to stretch.   For the first 2 hours post ride I could barely move.  After a hot shower everything started to feel much better except my knee.    I ended up being just shy of 150km (148.8k)  I now wish I could have gone around the block to officially hit 150 but I was so done… done!!!!

I feel pretty good today with the exception of my knee… not sure what I did but hoping I’ll be ok to ride tomorrow.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: October 24, 2014, 04:05:55 pm »
My original goal yesterday was to ride the entire Niagara Circle Route.  I’ve done it only once before, nearly 10 years ago on a charity ride.  If memory serves it was about 120km.
Over the last couple days I decided to add a couple destinations, 1 winery and 2 breweries.

:cheers:
:fiver:

Awesome ride, it looked like a lot of fun and congrats on finishing it. Next year give me notice and I'll join you IF (and only IF) you want some company to help pull through that horrid north wind.

Sucks about the knee but know exactly (well not as bad though) how you feel. You might have turned it just enough to cause the pain, hopefully it goes away over night.

I made it back in town, the last 4k had 4 lights / stops and that just about killed me. 

If there is anything that takes the wind out of your sails its this at the end of a ride. Give me a 10% climb before repeating stop lights. The energy required to get moving again just drains you.

Your bike still looks awesome. Makes me want a new commuter (never loved mine).

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2532 on: October 24, 2014, 07:17:12 pm »
Another fun ride today (same one as Wednesday). Just 15 kms (a tenth of Blotter's ride!   :bow:), but I like this one because it's a good workout with some fun single track, and the whole thing takes less than an hour and a half return from my house.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:22:36 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2533 on: October 24, 2014, 07:19:42 pm »

I left home at 8:30am – it was about 3 degrees and sunny but I knew it was going to warm up to about 15, so I loaded up on layers which can come off as it warmed up.  (Panniers are great to have for this!)  I followed the Welland Canal path going south from Welland to Port Colborne.  I had to stop half way to lose some layers already.   

Once in Port Colborne, you cross the canal and it’s a West to East ride on the Friendship Trail (an old railway converted into a path)  I was setting a nice pace but do to lots of road crossing that pace was always interrupted.   I made to Fort Erie and it was just a nice stunning day.  At this point I had done about 60km and started to realize I was likely going to do far more than 100k today.   In Fort Erie, you turn heading north along the Niagara Parkway.  There is a path but due to the nature of it, the road is faster and smoother. 
The moment I started North I realized the easy good times were over.  I was fighting a head wind and it started to take its toll. 

Once in Niagara Falls, I started to worry fighting the wind was going to burn me out.  At this point I was still only at about 85km.  So much more to go….   But a fun moment was seeing a nice new Mercedes CLA pulled to the side being photographed.  Strange…   Then a beautiful new blue Volvo V60 passed me and pulled into the next lot with the driver taking pictures.  Hmmmmm….  Out of nowhere I realized, Test Fest!  LOL   Now I was always looking out for more vehicles, like the GM Twins but that was pretty much it….

The Falls where pretty busy for this time of year but not enough to be troublesome. 
I was still feeling pretty good as I pushed into Queenston and began going down the escarpment, I knew I was approaching my first destination.  Frog Pond Winery….
The road to turn off was closed and it forced a detour, that total detour cost me an extra 5 or so km.   I picked up two bottles of Gamay Noir and headed back to the Parkway and into Niagara-On-The-Lake.   

At this point, we would usually go through NOTL and onto Lakeshore Rd, however I had other stops and needed to head down Hwy55 (Niagara Stone Rd)… this is a very busy 80km/h road.  The bonus was that it was so busy, the traffic wasn’t too fast. 
I arrived in Virgil and stopped at Oast House Brewers.  At this point I was at about 105k and my legs were pretty tired.  I needed food.   At this time of year the brewery didn’t have food, but I had a couple samples and picked up two 750ml bottles of beer.  I got a recommendation on food and road off.   15 minutes later I arrived at a small restaurant / bakery that was across the street of my final destination, Silver Smith Brewery.    I ate, had a tasty Silver Smith Black Lager and went over to pick up 3 more 750ml bottles.   Now I had 7 big bottles and the bike was HEAVY!!!!   Panniers totally full… at this point it was time to get moving, I was hoping to get home before 5pm.

While I could have ridden along Hwy55 West towards the Welland Canal, I decided to try and stay true to the Circle Route.  I took a small winding road north to get connected to Lakeshore (this was adding more k)… Then heading up Lakeshore to the start of the Welland Canal.   From there in St Catharines, I took the road (instead of the path) along the Canal towards Thorold.   When I turned to head back South, something happened.   While I was already getting pretty sore, I wasn’t feeling too bad.   But I somehow turned in a strange way and something happened to my knee.  Clipping back in to start riding through the intersection my left knee was in total pain. (crap)…  I pushed on and if I kept my speed up above 24km/h it didn’t bother me too much, anything slower would just kill me. 
At this point I was around 120k.     In Thorold, I took the path… I couldn’t keep my speed up and the big escarpment climb was on.  At this point my arse was starting to hurt, my knee was brutal and legs kept telling me to take a break.   But I just wanted to get home now and enjoy some beer.    I made it up the escarpment and pushed on.  I made small goals, each time I hit a landmark I kept telling myself how much closer to home I was. 
I didn’t even want to get off the bike now because putting my arse back on it hurt so much!

I made it back in town, the last 4k had 4 lights / stops and that just about killed me.  Getting in the driveway I nearly fell over and could barely walk.  I couldn’t bend my knee!!!!
Somehow I managed to get my bike put away, brought my panniers inside (steps never hurt so much!) and got changed.   I iced my knee and forced myself to stretch.   For the first 2 hours post ride I could barely move.  After a hot shower everything started to feel much better except my knee.    I ended up being just shy of 150km (148.8k)  I now wish I could have gone around the block to officially hit 150 but I was so done… done!!!!

I feel pretty good today with the exception of my knee… not sure what I did but hoping I’ll be ok to ride tomorrow.

Wow...what a great ride  :fiver:

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: October 25, 2014, 01:38:45 am »

Awesome!  :thumbup: It's always a good feeling to ride longer than you have before, to push your own boundaries a little.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: October 27, 2014, 03:05:56 pm »

Awesome ride, it looked like a lot of fun and congrats on finishing it. Next year give me notice and I'll join you IF (and only IF) you want some company to help pull through that horrid north wind.

Sucks about the knee but know exactly (well not as bad though) how you feel. You might have turned it just enough to cause the pain, hopefully it goes away over night.

I get to do something like this only once a year.  LOL
so maybe next year? 

Your bike still looks awesome. Makes me want a new commuter (never loved mine).
thanks!
love it.   it's really made me enjoy road riding again!
if you move out of the big smoke, you know that should mean room for more bikes  ;)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: October 28, 2014, 06:09:22 pm »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: October 28, 2014, 06:50:29 pm »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: October 28, 2014, 06:52:45 pm »
Austrian cyclist looking to break 1-hour distance record of 51.1 km

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/austrian-cyclist-looking-to-break-1-hour-distance-record-of-51-1-km-1.2067220

That did not take long.

No kidding.  Jens said on FB "Couldn't you have at least waited until after Christmas"   :rofl2:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: October 30, 2014, 04:01:49 pm »
Had to work REAL HARD to get 750k in this month  :P fack.