Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1065587 times)

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #2140 on: August 19, 2014, 08:40:32 pm »
Finally working again.  I think Strava like to push my buttons.

I'm more than happy with my results considering how much city riding was in this.

Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: August 20, 2014, 12:34:28 am »
Finally working again.  I think Strava like to push my buttons.

I'm more than happy with my results considering how much city riding was in this.

:thumbup: Awesome.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: August 20, 2014, 12:41:36 am »
I'm in the market for a new helmet, my current one is probably 15 years old and doesn't fit well. I'd like to get one that has good air ventilation.  I know they all have to pass crash test ratings, anyone have an suggestions?

What kind of riding do you do (mountain, road, city)?

If you're looking for a road helmet I can say from my experience that Specialized Propero II has good ventilation. There are of course many others that do, too.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2143 on: August 20, 2014, 07:09:43 am »

Finally working again. .
Excellent! Where's the new job?
Railton

Not sure if you were trying to be funny or not but it is Strava that is working again.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2145 on: August 20, 2014, 08:52:18 am »

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2146 on: August 20, 2014, 08:53:50 am »

Finally working again. .
Excellent! Where's the new job?
Railton

Not sure if you were trying to be funny or not but it is Strava that is working again.

it was "down" for me last night, for about 20 minutes

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12345
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2147 on: August 20, 2014, 09:22:20 am »
Holy crap quad!  :o

My folks live in Stouffville.  One of these days I'm going to take my bike and head out from there on a long ride north.  Just need to scope out some routes by car first.  I've heard Leslie Street north to Lake Skugog is a nice ride.

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2148 on: August 20, 2014, 09:27:27 am »
Another sunrise ride north of Dundas this past weekend:

Morning mist on Derry Rd:

Pretty much loving everything about the bike:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2149 on: August 20, 2014, 09:45:56 am »
Great shots Jaeger.....way too early for me for a weekend. I try to go out around 09:00  :P Met up with this serious cyclist dude from Mississauga 3 times this week by coincidence, always sporting a new jersey from some adventure. I would catch up to him and pass respectfully then he catch up and share drafting duties for the next 50k or so. Not much was said the first ride but by the third yesterday he got all chatty. Had some good advice about my gear selection and pace. As a result my average speed has gone up 2 kph while riding with him.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: August 20, 2014, 09:47:28 am »
Great pics!

Holy crap quad!  :o

My folks live in Stouffville.  One of these days I'm going to take my bike and head out from there on a long ride north.  Just need to scope out some routes by car first.  I've heard Leslie Street north to Lake Skugog is a nice ride.

The cycling is great up there but be warned, it does get hilly. You can go from your top gear down to your easiest gear very quickly.  I've only ridden as far east as Uxbridge and north to Lake Simcoe. Might have to explore out to Skugog.

Here is a nice 44k loop that goes along the bottom of Lake Simcoe. Most of the climbing is done at the beginning and its nice along the lake. Bring cash if you want to stop at the chip wagon. We parked on the NW corner of Smith/Park at the rec center (?). Lots of ways to extend it for more kms.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5122232

Also since you parents live in Stouffville here are a couple of loops to try. I haven't done these but have ridden most of the roads.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4388923

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4388917

Stop at Annina's bake shop in Goodwood for some treats.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: August 20, 2014, 11:15:27 am »
Snowman - it's funny how you start to recognize other riders who frequent the same area and time.  I swear I've come across the same group of 6 or 8 riders heading up 6th line about them same time that I am generally heading south back home on a weekend morning.  Feel free to share any tips on gear selection and pace.  :)

quad - thanks for the route suggestions - and the caution about the hills.  One of many reasons I like to drive a new route before I ride it.  Also because I am often starting out in the dark (and will be doing that more often and for longer periods as daylight hours shrink), it's safer if I've had a chance to scope out potentially troublesome spots before my first ride.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:17:07 am by Jaeger »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: August 20, 2014, 11:25:31 am »
I'm in the market for a new helmet, my current one is probably 15 years old and doesn't fit well. I'd like to get one that has good air ventilation.  I know they all have to pass crash test ratings, anyone have an suggestions?

Hard to make a bad choice if you find one that fits you comfortably and is aesthetically appealing.  I've been very happy with this Mavic.  Even more so since discovering the joys of adding a skull cap for baldies.  :rofl2:

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2153 on: August 20, 2014, 01:07:23 pm »
A co-worker just fractured her hip mountain biking yesterday. Y'all might want to invest in a bit of hip armour when you hit the trails.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2154 on: August 20, 2014, 10:25:05 pm »
Snowman - it's funny how you start to recognize other riders who frequent the same area and time.  I swear I've come across the same group of 6 or 8 riders heading up 6th line about them same time that I am generally heading south back home on a weekend morning.  Feel free to share any tips on gear selection and pace:)

quad - thanks for the route suggestions - and the caution about the hills.  One of many reasons I like to drive a new route before I ride it.  Also because I am often starting out in the dark (and will be doing that more often and for longer periods as daylight hours shrink), it's safer if I've had a chance to scope out potentially troublesome spots before my first ride.

Its time to hook up for another ride then  :)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: August 21, 2014, 07:27:41 am »
Snowman - it's funny how you start to recognize other riders who frequent the same area and time.  I swear I've come across the same group of 6 or 8 riders heading up 6th line about them same time that I am generally heading south back home on a weekend morning.  Feel free to share any tips on gear selection and pace:)

Can I come?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: August 21, 2014, 07:32:39 am »

Can I come?

Sure, if you don't mind riding with a rolling boat anchor (me, not Snowy  :-[ )

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: August 21, 2014, 07:53:01 am »

Can I come?

Don't mind how fast/slow people are as long as they try.  Are we going to do Rattlesnake?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: August 21, 2014, 08:30:11 am »

Can I come?

Don't mind how fast/slow people are as long as they try.  Are we going to do Rattlesnake?

:bang: be nice, he is not ready for Rattlesnake.....nor am I for that matter. We will watch and wait. This weekend?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: August 21, 2014, 09:35:13 am »
I might be able to ride this Saturday (Aug 23rd). Depending on the timing I might ride out and take the train back (or vise versa).  I'll let you guys pick the route. Sunday's are my group ride here.