Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1068500 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #2000 on: July 30, 2014, 01:18:02 pm »
Weight is important but quality and material used for the frame is key for me. The light weight high quality carbon bikes are more forgiving on rough surfaces which is the majority of my riding on the side-roads north of Dundas. That is why I prefer an endurance design vs. racing style and as usual this comes at a cost.

I've been looking at carbon bikes since many of the roads I ride are quite rough and I find that the vibration gets to me after a while. I used to get severe pain in my lower back, but now that problems seems to be gone, which is strange because otherwise my last two rides have felt pretty awful. Anyway, maybe I just needed to get used to riding, which is exactly what I was expecting, but I'll still keep looking for a carbon bike just because.  ;D

the new touring bike I got it steel.  It's certainly not light because that's not it's purpose.
But the ride quality is quite nice.    The wider tires and weight likely mean my efforts result in average speeds of 30km/h instead of maybe 35 km/h

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the road bike.

You're averaging 30km/hr on a heavy steel touring bike with fat tires?  I hate you.  :(
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2001 on: July 30, 2014, 01:46:43 pm »
With all this weight talk, yesterday I was out on the commuter bike which is a cheap cross bike (Cannondale Caad 8) plus fenders, rack and panniers. I'd guess the bike is about 5-7 pounds heavier than my road bike.

I took a hard run up a climb I do (Pottery Rd for those that know it) which is 0.3 miles @ 9%.

Set my 4th fastest time then I looked at my top 3 times.  :rofl2:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2002 on: July 30, 2014, 02:36:04 pm »
Crap.....6th Line is gravel now from Dundas to Burnhamthorpe. The link to the north is facked until the new surfacing. Need to find another way  :think:

Say WHAT?  And I was planning to head out there early tomorrow morning.  FFS.  >:(

Is it still paved north of Burnhamthorpe?  I could take Neyagawa north to Burnhamthorpe, then east to 6th.

What time tomorrow?

As discussed, I will probably get out just ahead of sunrise - yes, I appreciate that this is abnormal behavior.  :)  Let's hook up on the long weekend.

For sure, have to start working on the August MTS  :)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: July 30, 2014, 02:42:54 pm »
Weight is important but quality and material used for the frame is key for me. The light weight high quality carbon bikes are more forgiving on rough surfaces which is the majority of my riding on the side-roads north of Dundas. That is why I prefer an endurance design vs. racing style and as usual this comes at a cost.

I've been looking at carbon bikes since many of the roads I ride are quite rough and I find that the vibration gets to me after a while. I used to get severe pain in my lower back, but now that problems seems to be gone, which is strange because otherwise my last two rides have felt pretty awful. Anyway, maybe I just needed to get used to riding, which is exactly what I was expecting, but I'll still keep looking for a carbon bike just because.  ;D

the new touring bike I got it steel.  It's certainly not light because that's not it's purpose.
But the ride quality is quite nice.    The wider tires and weight likely mean my efforts result in average speeds of 30km/h instead of maybe 35 km/h

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the road bike.

You're averaging 30km/hr on a heavy steel touring bike with fat tires?  I hate you.  :(

Weight only matter when accelerating or climbing. Once above 25-30kph its all about being aero. And believe it or not, thinner tires are not faster.  Its mad science this game.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: July 30, 2014, 02:50:33 pm »
Congrats on your 5th place today, awesome! Only 3 more second to move into 4th. Keep up the great work.

EDIT: Bet you would have been faster on that new Defy ;)

I had almost caught up to you this month and then you went and rode again, thanks a lot.  Let compare notes after the weekend, I'm hoping to get a good start this time. ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2005 on: July 30, 2014, 02:57:22 pm »
With the calf injury, I'm using the bike everyday now to get some cardio in.  In the cool of the morning, logged a 21klm trail ride.  Took a new route, and imagine my surprise when I came upon a large enclosed picnic shelter and washroom, basically in the "middle of nowhere" as far as trails around here are concerned.

Still haven't replaced my front tire, and had a couple scary descents.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2006 on: July 30, 2014, 03:26:12 pm »
Congrats on your 5th place today, awesome! Only 3 more second to move into 4th. Keep up the great work.

I had almost caught up to you this month and then you went and rode again, thanks a lot.  Let compare notes after the weekend, I'm hoping to get a good start this time. ;D

Thanks, that's kind of a lame segment and I was not even trying  :P Now that I know its not a big deal I will go and see if I can get a 3'rd.  :rofl2: One more day to go, I bet you will pull out one of your 110km rides at the wire and beat me  ;)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: July 30, 2014, 03:28:19 pm »
With the calf injury, I'm using the bike everyday now to get some cardio in.  In the cool of the morning, logged a 21klm trail ride.  Took a new route, and imagine my surprise when I came upon a large enclosed picnic shelter and washroom, basically in the "middle of nowhere" as far as trails around here are concerned.

Don't know if I would be able to with clipless pedals. I tore one up playing basketball in college, nasty.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: July 30, 2014, 04:32:27 pm »

Did you get new brakes yet?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: July 30, 2014, 04:35:36 pm »

Thanks, that's kind of a lame segment and I was not even trying  :P Now that I know its not a big deal I will go and see if I can get a 3'rd.  :rofl2: One more day to go, I bet you will pull out one of your 110km rides at the wire and beat me  ;)

Lucky for you I'm actually busy tomorrow and will have little time to ride. Otherwise I would have been up at the crack of down, putting in my miles, then waiting to see how many you rode to decide if I needed to go back out again.  :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2010 on: July 30, 2014, 04:39:59 pm »

Did you get new brakes yet?

Yup.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The Cycling Thread
« Reply #2011 on: July 30, 2014, 05:45:50 pm »
Decided to take one of the cars out :p on my E/W bike route tho :)

Pain cave

Steels

Lower Base Line

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: July 30, 2014, 05:48:13 pm »

Lucky for you I'm actually busy tomorrow and will have little time to ride. Otherwise I would have been up at the crack of down, putting in my miles, then waiting to see how many you rode to decide if I needed to go back out again.  :rofl2:

:rofl2: I just want to put 50k in tomorrow so I can get 1250 and relax for the next two days  :P

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2013 on: July 30, 2014, 06:24:47 pm »
Some of those spots look familiar.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: July 30, 2014, 06:30:52 pm »
Some of those spots look familiar.

Good, there is more goodness west of Appleby Line. Hills and valleys that make the ride like interval training.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #2015 on: July 30, 2014, 06:47:46 pm »
 :think: :light: Maybe I should take my bike to Ontario with me... these routes look very very nice and are very close to my aunt's house.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: July 31, 2014, 05:48:59 am »
Fack. I need to buy rain gear.  >:(

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: July 31, 2014, 06:44:04 am »

People ride in the rain?

Ok seriously. Let me know what you end up buying and how good it works?  For my road bike I have one of those clear jackets (mine is made my Hincapie). It works but id doesn't take long to feel damp inside but I don't think there is a product that I can feel dry in. For commuting I just use and old gore-tex jacket. For my legs, if its a chilly rain I can throw on my knee warmers.

My feet I wear booties which work but depending on the length of ride or amount of rain my feet will start to get wet.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: July 31, 2014, 07:17:51 am »

I would not bother, I'm usually sweating and wet already  :P you rode yesterday afternoon? I got chased back to town as I spotted thunderclouds rolling in when I got up north of Dundas. It caught up to me  :P

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2019 on: July 31, 2014, 09:24:04 am »
very small intense storms yesterday.

I didn't ride to work due to weather warnings but nothing happened until I got back.
Our place got hit with big rain but a 15 minute drive south kept clear which allow our club ride to still happen.

that brings me to eating my words on weight today!!!!!   

I've been pretty ride only the FS bike this year but I've recently changed my ridgid to single speed and had the first ride last night.

weight change in the bikes is about 4.5lbs    While the two feel totally different, the 4.5lbs made a huge difference.   The bike can be thrown around so easily.